The Student Room Group

Why don't student wear suits everywhere anymore?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DMcGovern
Because that was when the classes were more clearly defined - smallish upper class, very small/no middle class, massive working class. Upper class boys went to university, everyone else went to work. Most people wore suits, but workers didn't when at work - obviously.

I miss that lads and men don't wear hats anymore though.

Please see my earlier posting

These are men working at the Morris factory in Cowley before the war

Original post by nulli tertius
Please see my earlier posting

These are men working at the Morris factory in Cowley before the war

Some did, some didn't - I was thinking of my uncles who were factory workers and dockers myself and had to wear steel-toecapped boots and the like. Most probably did though. I think it's a move to more comfortable clothing tbh, and possibly corporate-supported "fashion" - I'd wear a paddy cap sometimes when working :tongue:
Original post by DMcGovern
Some did, some didn't - I was thinking of my uncles who were factory workers and dockers myself and had to wear steel-toecapped boots and the like. Most probably did though. I think it's a move to more comfortable clothing tbh, and possibly corporate-supported "fashion" - I'd wear a paddy cap sometimes when working :tongue:

I think it is the development of specific workwear which is caught up with the start of health and safety culture.
Reply 23
Original post by nulli tertius
And most of the working class.

A labourer at that date would probably be working in a suit with a waistcoat, pocket watch and watch chain and a formal shirt. The shirt would take a detachable collar but instead of wearing a collar and tie, he would probably wrap a kerchief round his neck. He would probably wear a flat cap.

The history of male fashion is the replacement of the formal by the informal. Dinner jacket and black tie was invented as an informal form of dress not to be worn when ladies were present

True too, but most students back then would have been posh.
Original post by justag
True too, but most students back then would have been posh.

But take some who weren't.

These are Ruskin students at the turn of the century.

Suit styles and shirt and tie colours also seem to have changed since then too.

I think it would look odd if students were to all be dressed like this:

Spoiler

Reply 26
Decline in aesthetic standards. Source; popular culture
Reply 27
Original post by mobbsy91
I like wearing suits. Certain times it's not necessary, and better not to wear one, but for certain times, I'd love to wear a suit more.

You´re right!
Original post by Smack
Suit styles and shirt and tie colours also seem to have changed since then too.

I think it would look odd if students were to all be dressed like this:

You mean wearing suits that are a size too small? :tongue:
I don't wear a suit to 6th form although I will wear a blazer with chinos and smart shoes every day. Sometimes I'll match my darker chinos with a blazer of the same colour so it looks suit-esque. It's up to the individual, personally I love the smart look.
Original post by LibertyMan
Like in those old photos from the pre- 50's?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-24945991#5

punters.jpg

not sure what the one on the right is holding ? :holmes:
Lower standards :/
I love wearing a suit.
Original post by Drewski
To every guy who says he doesn't like wearing a suit: your mind will change when you grow up.

Yeah I'm not seeing it.
I think more people should start wearing suits, they look good and there are many different types of suits to fit both formal and casual occasions. It is much nicer seeing people in suits rather than in sportswear.
You can look really classy and still make ladies wanna drop their knickers without wearing a suit lmao.
Original post by thecatwithnohat
You can look really classy and still make ladies wanna drop their knickers without wearing a suit lmao.

Thank you. This is exactly what I said.
Original post by thecatwithnohat

Exactly. My avatar is the perfect example.

Actually nvm it's a type of "suit" so point still stands :colonhash:
Original post by Student403
Exactly. My avatar is the perfect example.

Actually nvm it's a type of "suit" so point still stands :colonhash:

Oi :colonhash: wearing a spoderman morph suit doesn't count.
the cost of upkeeping a suit i had a couple and sold one as the dry cleaning bills were over £200 a month for when i wore them frequently

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending