The Student Room Group

Getting stressed out with Masters application/where to start :(

Hi everyone,
I'm interested in doing a Masters course in Psychology, preferably something to do with Mental Health. But I'm getting in a tizzy because I have absolutely no idea where to start with the application, who to contact first or what :frown:

I'm interested in the MSc Psychology at Northampton, but I'm worried about not being able to get accommodation as a postgraduate. I'm also concerned about costs/funding; I know the government are offering loans for the 2016 intake, but I feel like my job won't be sufficient to back it up (I'm on a zero hour contract). I literally have no idea where to start but as it's January I feel like I should be getting a move-on now. :frown:

I did consider studying in London and just commuting, but I think I would prefer to be on campus.

Any advice?
Reply 1
Look at:
- accommodation (rent and number of rooms)
- scholarships, some unis offer funding to their top applicants
- fees
- career prospects

You can apply to as many universities as you want, so try to apply at other unis than just Northampton.
Reply 2
Original post by Jabberwox
Hi everyone,
I'm interested in doing a Masters course in Psychology, preferably something to do with Mental Health. But I'm getting in a tizzy because I have absolutely no idea where to start with the application, who to contact first or what :frown:

You apply directly to the university. Start with the "Apply now" option at the top right of the subject page:
http://www.northampton.ac.uk/study/courses/courses-by-subject/social-sciences/psychology-msc
The instructions will talk you through what you need to do. The subject page tells you who the course's target students will be, so when you write the equivalent of your Personal Statement, make sure that you're in one of those groups.

This is the programme leader for that MSc (or at least, they are this academic year):
http://www.northampton.ac.uk/directories/people/lesleyann-smith
If you have any specific queries about the academic side - questions about course content, your suitability, any preparation you can do, etc. - their email address is on their profile page. Lecturers will generally not mind being contacted direct with enthusiastic prospective students, although current students are likely to be prioritised, so you may not get a quick reply during term time.

I'm worried about not being able to get accommodation as a postgraduate.

You can email the Northampton Accommodation Office direct for their advice - address towards the top right of the page:
https://www.northampton.ac.uk/new-students/accommodation
They will be able to tell you how likely you are to get uni accommodation asa postgrad. Unis will generally be able to advise on local private rented accommodation as well.

Any uni will have this level of info available on their web pages. It might take a bit of canny Googling, but it's usually there somewhere.

I'm also concerned about costs/funding; I know the government are offering loans for the 2016 intake, but I feel like my job won't be sufficient to back it up (I'm on a zero hour contract).

The government loan will be a maximum of £10,000, which won't cover your tuition fees + living costs for a year. If you don't have any savings, other sources of e.g. loans from family, then you may need to find a more reliable part-time job. Either that, or get a full-time job which allows you to save, and do that for a year or two to get some savings behind you.
Leeds Beckett does a BPS approved MSc psychology conversion distance learning.

There are also non bps courses offered as distance learning at de montfort uni and Roehampton.

Distance learning would rule out the worry of whether or not you can afford to live near a uni.
It's a daunting task when you know what you want to study but not how to apply. I was given some fantastic advice from one of my tutors during my undergraduate which I'll share here:

a) Research the department: What academics and scholars teach on it? How is the reputation of the institution? How active are they in research? If all these are to your satisfaction, go to step 2.
b) What's the course like: Will it include all the modules you want? What are the job prospects like? Do your favourite academics teach on it? If yes, step 3.
c) Do you meet their requirements? What do you need to include with your application?

I followed these three steps when I was applying and it really helped. Answered the questions when doing my research and making notes.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending