The Student Room Group

A levels for doctors

hi, I'm currently doing my GCSE'S but I've been thinking of my a levels and wondering which ones are best for getting into med school, I'm thinking: biology, physics, chemistry and psychology :smile:
The important thing with your A Level choices is that you choose subjects you know you can get the minimum entry requirements in. So for medicine, that's typically AAA including (for the vast majority of medical schools) Biology and Chemistry. As long as you enjoy the subjects and think you can get A's in them, your choices are fine. I did that exact combination of A Levels and got in, so go for it if you want to do those subjects. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Peregrine falcon
The important thing with your A Level choices is that you choose subjects you know you can get the minimum entry requirements in. So for medicine, that's typically AAA including (for the vast majority of medical schools) Biology and Chemistry. As long as you enjoy the subjects and think you can get A's in them, your choices are fine. I did that exact combination of A Levels and got in, so go for it if you want to do those subjects. Hope this helps :smile:

What university did you apply to and if you don't mind, how were your GCSE grades?
Original post by SGHD26716
What university did you apply to and if you don't mind, how were your GCSE grades?

I applied to UCL, King's, Barts and the London and St George's and got offers from the first three (I'm at UCL now). GCSEs were 10 A*'s an A and a B
Reply 4
I really enjoy the sciences so I hope I do well and thanks for the help! :smile:
Reply 5
I swear this question gets asked 50 times a day is it that hard to just search for previous threads ¬_¬ ?
all you need is bio and chem - the other two just choose what you are really good at and wont have to take up all your time revising
physics without maths wont work out very well
Hi! I’m in the same boat as you and I need to choose my a-level options in a few months. For medicine, most universities are looking for biology, chemistry and at least one other science subject (physics or maths). As long as you take biology, chemistry and physics you will be accepted into pretty much any medical school! One word of advice though, it may be better if you take a fourth subject that you don’t have to do as much work for, because the three sciences will require a lot of work anyway. I was going to take psychology too but then decided against it as four science subjects seemed far too stressful. Some universities sometimes prefer if you take a fourth subject that isn’t science based, to show that you are an all-rounder but in the end its your choice :smile:
Reply 7
yeah a lot of my teachers have said id become really stressed taking four sciences too but best of luck with ur choices :smile:
Original post by kiera 2000
yeah a lot of my teachers have said id become really stressed taking four sciences too but best of luck with ur choices :smile:

Aw thank you:smile:
@GCSEstudent23 @Kiera2000 are you both doing the new a levels without AS levels?
Reply 10
I am also doing my GCSE's this year - I will most likely be choosing Bio, Chem, Phys and maths next year.
Provided that I get good marks in my exam!
Does anyone know what topics were asked on the june 2015 chemistry paper?
Just curious as I am wanting to start to prepare now.
Pleased reply ASAP.
Thanks!
Reply 11
Original post by surina16
@GCSEstudent23 @Kiera2000 are you both doing the new a levels without AS levels?

yeah I will be in yr 12 :smile:
Original post by kiera 2000
yeah I will be in yr 12 :smile:

Same :smile:. Isn't your school telling you to just do 3 a levels, as there will be a large workload in sixth form since we'll have to do the exams after 2 years?
Reply 13
Same :smile:. Isn't your school telling you to just do 3 a levels, as there will be a large workload in sixth form since we'll have to do the exams after 2 years?

my school hasn't really spoke about the new a levels just the new GCSE'S for my year tbh :h:

I think so, my school hasn't really talked about a levels yet
:smile:
Reply 15
What subjects are people taking for their A-levels?
Original post by H.cool
What subjects are people taking for their A-levels?

I just got in to my 6form (provided I get predicted grades) . I choose Bio, Chem, Economics and Maths (psychology as a 2nd choice for math)

Quick Reply

Latest