The Student Room Group

Real exam

What happens if 2 students from 2 different school submit 2 similar coursework/controlled assessment to the same exam board but the markers a different. So 1 coursework/controlled assessment goes to 1 maker the other goes to another maker. How will the exam board know if its the same when 2 different people are marking it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Helpmepickone
What happens if 2 students from 2 different school submit 2 similar coursework/controlled assessment to the same exam board but the markers a different. So 1 coursework/controlled assessment goes to 1 maker the other goes to another maker. How will the exam board know if its the same when 2 different people are marking it?

It's scanned you know and they have softwares that check against a database.
Reply 2
each assessment is going to be scanned in their database one at a time but not at the same time and your asses will be on fire!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Awais_
It's scanned you know and they have softwares that check against a database.

o ok
so say if the piece of work are similar but not fully
Reply 4
o ok

Depends how similar but it is likely it would end up with people in trouble.
Original post by joecphillips
Depends how similar but it is likely it would end up with people in trouble.

i was just wondering
Reply 6
o ok

It still knows how similar it is. It's very smart.

I think they only flag it up if it's 10% or more similar?

UCAS' system is like this ,example:

Examples

I grew up in a city near the sea and have always been fascinated by marine life.

If you had written this sentence and found it shown in red as above when you checked the notification report, it would mean that it had been exactly matched to a personal statement stored in the Copycatch library.

I grew up in a town near the sea and have always found marine life fascinating.

If the sentence you had written was marked in your report like the one above, it would mean that:

* town and found were not in the matched sentence
* fascinating was not found as an exact match but is similar enough to the equivalentword in the matched sentence to be identified by underlining

The blue colour also shows you that the match was found in the second most matched statement.
Original post by Awais_
It still knows how similar it is. It's very smart.

I think they only flag it up if it's 10% or more similar?

UCAS' system is like this ,example:

Examples

I grew up in a city near the sea and have always been fascinated by marine life.

If you had written this sentence and found it shown in red as above when you checked the notification report, it would mean that it had been exactly matched to a personal statement stored in the Copycatch library.

I grew up in a town near the sea and have always found marine life fascinating.

If the sentence you had written was marked in your report like the one above, it would mean that:

* town and found were not in the matched sentence
* fascinating was not found as an exact match but is similar enough to the equivalentword in the matched sentence to be identified by underlining

The blue colour also shows you that the match was found in the second most matched statement.

o ok
well wat about a 3000 word essay
cos i asked people to read my work and give feedback and tips like u i think
and if they took it and used it as their work then wat will happen
Reply 8
o ok
well wat about a 3000 word essay
cos i asked people to read my work and give feedback and tips like u i think
and if they took it and used it as their work then wat will happen

If someone else has used your work or if you've used somebody elses work this is called plagiarism. I'd advise you be careful with who you send things like controlled assesments to in order to avoid any risk.

Definitely do not upload your work anywhere on the internet as the systems can detect it anywhere on the internet, :smile:
Original post by Awais_
If someone else has used your work or if you've used somebody elses work this is called plagiarism. I'd advise you be careful with who you send things like controlled assesments to in order to avoid any risk.

Definitely do not upload your work anywhere on the internet as the systems can detect it anywhere on the internet, :smile:

I haven't uploaded it publicly but i sent it like say i sent it to fellow tsr users via private message and email
i'm 50/50 scared cos i've handed my work in but i dont know if anyone will use my work
Reply 10
I haven't uploaded it publicly but i sent it like say i sent it to fellow tsr users via private message and email
i'm 50/50 scared cos i've handed my work in but i dont know if anyone will use my work

Lets hope all goes well, fingers crossed.

How many people did you ask for help with it though?

I know I gave you help.
Original post by Awais_
Lets hope all goes well, fingers crossed.

How many people did you ask for help with it though?

I know I gave you help.

quite a lot
but most of them replied so of course they won't use it but a few people didn't reply
so lets hope
Reply 12
quite a lot
but most of them replied so of course they won't use it but a few people didn't reply
so lets hope

Yes, just be careful next time. :wink:
Best to ask reputable members only.
Original post by Awais_
Yes, just be careful next time. :wink:
Best to ask reputable members only.

yh, i'm a bit scared tbh
Reply 14
yh, i'm a bit scared tbh

No point worrying about it matey.
Just forget about it... :smile:
Original post by Awais_
No point worrying about it matey.
Just forget about it... :smile:

wat do u mean?
Reply 16
wat do u mean?

Like don't stress over it.
Don't think about it...

:smile: I doubt anyone would've copied though because there would've also been negative implications for them too.
Original post by Awais_
Like don't stress over it.
Don't think about it...

:smile: I doubt anyone would've copied though because there would've also been negative implications for them too.

yh but i would also get in trouble as well
i just hope no one did
Reply 18
yh but i would also get in trouble as well
i just hope no one did

I hope so too,
it's not likely someone has though ... :smile:
Original post by Awais_
I hope so too,
it's not likely someone has though ... :smile:

thanks for lighting the mood