The Student Room Group

New, large study suggests sexuality not tied to a genetic marker.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by newpersonage
How do you know? Forget Justinian, homosexuality between males was institutionalized in Athens and Sparta.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_in_ancient_Greece
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_in_ancient_Rome

I know several men and women in their early twenties who have enjoyed a variety of sexual preferences although this is not as common in the UK as some other countries. Tourists on the Greek Islands for instance. I dont think any are repressed, in fact the opposite, they are hedonists.

What do you mean how I know? Anyone with a basic knowledge of ancient history should be aware of the mass prosecution of homosexuality. Justician was following the heartwarming message of Leviticus, which reads: "If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltiness is upon them" [Leviticus 20:13]

This provides a great explanation.

It wasn't "institutionalised" per se. Greeks and Romans made no distinctions between heterosexuality or homosexuality. These words are young (circa 100 yrs old), and there are no equivalent ones in neither Ancient Greek nor Latin.

Instead, the distinction was between the "active" and the "passive" role - irrespective of who had the passive role, be it man or woman. Nonetheless, if institutionalised you mean they could marry, then yes, that was true, particularly in Rome.

What does that prove? Apart from it being anecdotal evidence, if they had sexual intercourse with both sexes, they are bisexual. End of. A heterosexual would be disgusted at the thought of having sex with a man, and a homosexual the same with a woman.

I am well aware of the situation in the Greek islands (and Athens and Thessaloniki for that matter), as I'm Greek myself. It has been like that for thousands of years, bar occupations and wars. I fail to see, however, how repression and hedonism are relevant to the subject matter at hand...? Care to explain?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by *Stefan*
What do you mean how I know? Anyone with a basic knowledge of ancient history should be aware of the mass prosecution of homosexuality. Justician was following the heartwarming message of Leviticus, which reads: "If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltiness is upon them" [Leviticus 20:13]

Justinian was banning what were widespread Roman customs. Certainly he was using Scripture to justify his persecution. You seem to have missed my point which was that homosexuality and bisexuality could be a choice for ordinary people before it was persecuted. During the persecution (ie: until recently) only those who could not choose to be heterosexual remained homosexual.

I fail to see, however, how repression and hedonism are relevant to the subject matter at hand...? Care to explain?

Hedonism is the pursuit of pleasure and sexually confident people treat sex as a pleasure. It is conventional to regard people who sleep with their own sex, but generally fall in love with the opposite sex, as "repressed homosexuals" (ie: "really" homosexual) but there are also hedonists who simply like sex and for whom the labels do not matter.

As the days of persecuting homosexuals become ever more distant society will probably return to the Romano-Greek model of most people being bisexual at times.

The point I am making is that having sex with the same sex is a possible choice for most people. It is only a few percent at either end of the spectrum of sexual behaviour for whom being solely homosexual or heterosexual are the only possible options.

See the yellow line in the graph below for how younger people increasingly experiment (click on thumbnail):

hexperience.jpeg

http://www.ejhs.org/Volume12/Homosexuality.htm
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 62
Justinian was banning what were widespread Roman customs. Certainly he was using Scripture to justify his persecution. You seem to have missed my point which was that homosexuality and bisexuality could be a choice for ordinary people before it was persecuted. During the persecution (ie: until recently) only those who could not easily choose remained homosexual

I didn't miss your point, but what you're suggesting here is ridiculous.

Firstly, if you read about Greece's history, you'll realise that in places like Corinth, homosexuality, prostitution and whatnot were always present and vibrant in the ancient times (even long after such prosecutions took place), even though the Church was seemingly against it.

Secondly, all this is empty assumption-making. The numbers of homosexuals in Rome may have been the same but people were afraid to talk about it (as in recent times, in fact).

Thirdly, in logical field do you think it's so easy to change your sexuality? Do you really think people go around saying "today I'll be gay, tomorrow I'll be straight"? I mean, you're a human being, surely you can try to see for yourself whether you can change your sexual preferences (and I mean preferences!).

Hedonism is the pursuit of pleasure and sexually confident people treat sex as a pleasure. It is conventional to regard people who sleep with their own sex, but generally fall in love with the opposite sex, as "repressed homosexuals" but there are also hedonists who simply like sex and for whom the labels do not matter.

As the days of persecuting homosexuals become ever more distant society will probably return to the Romano-Greek model of most people being bisexual at times.

I am well aware what hedonism means, however it takes a very different dimension to the one you're attaching it here. I have never heard of this conventional belief before, so I'll disregard it as anecdotal evidence.

Nonetheless, you're making the massive mistake here of confusing sex with sexual preference. The former is plain, physical sex. The second is an innate feeling of attraction to a sex (or to both sexes in case of bisexuals). You can obviously choose whom you're having sex with, but you can't choose whom you're attracted to. Still, a straight person (as in, 100%, if that exists), would never have sex with a guy, and the inverse is also true.
Thirdly, in logical field do you think it's so easy to change your sexuality? Do you really think people go around saying "today I'll be gay, tomorrow I'll be straight"? I mean, you're a human being, surely you can try to see for yourself whether you can change your sexual preferences (and I mean preferences!).

Bisexual behaviour is increasingly common.

Nonetheless, you're making the massive mistake here of confusing sex with sexual preference. The former is plain, physical sex. The second is an innate feeling of attraction to a sex (or to both sexes in case of bisexuals). You can obviously choose whom you're having sex with, but you can't choose whom you're attracted to. Still, a straight person (as in, 100%, if that exists), would never have sex with a guy, and the inverse is also true.

You said it all when you said "a straight person (as in, 100%, if that exists)" This is exactly my point.
Reply 64
Bisexual behaviour is increasingly common.

You said it all when you said "a straight person (as in, 100%, if that exists)" This is exactly my point.

Gosh... where do you base that now? Anecdotal evidence won't cut it!

That doesn't mean people consciously choose to be gay or straight... Are you sure this is what you mean? Because from what you've been saying, it seems like you're contradicting yourself.
Gosh... where do you base that now? Anecdotal evidence won't cut it!

That doesn't mean people consciously choose to be gay or straight... Are you sure this is what you mean? Because from what you've been saying, it seems like you're contradicting yourself.

I used a direct quote from you.

You seem to be using the terms "Gay" and "Straight" as immutable labels. No behavioural trait is black or white, yes or no, they all lie on a spectrum. In the early 21st century, now that persecution has ended, people are able to be what they want. However, we are not so far from persecution of sexual behaviour that the bulk of society does not condemn certain choices. It is still much easier for a person who could be attracted to either sex to choose the opposite sex, avoiding even the possibility of "straying"..
Reply 66
I used a direct quote from you.

You seem to be using the terms "Gay" and "Straight" as immutable labels. No behavioural trait is black or white, yes or no, they all lie on a spectrum. In the early 21st century, now that persecution has ended, people are able to be what they want. However, we are not so far from persecution of sexual behaviour that the bulk of society does not condemn certain choices. It is still much easier for a person who could be attracted to either sex to choose the opposite sex, avoiding even the possibility of "straying"..

I was referring to you "bisexuality is increasing" point... So, evidence? And what makes you think it's not about people being more confident with who they are in an increasingly tolerant society, instead of hiding their feelings as was the case in the past?

What?? Firstly, I agree with the spectrum argument, but that doesn't mean people can't be to either side of it. That's what we mean when we call someone gay or straight.

Secondly, please don't be so ignorant. It's pure idiocy to say that a man should marry the woman even if he likes men. You're literally saying that he should suppress his life and live a lie, and then do the same to a woman or a potential child.

You have a very immature view of life. Try being with someone you don't actually like and you'll understand how unfair and wrong you are, and how much you'll hurt them in turn.

Still, you haven't answered my question; can you change your sexual preference right now? Can you like men and think of having sex with them? Since it's a choice, it shouldn't be a problem...
Looking at the expression profile for NKAIN3, it is expressed in the amygdala/hippocampus and especially during development. Not saying that means anything, but there is plausibility for polymorphisms to lead to atypical sexual attraction?
I never really believed "You were born that way" but I do think there may be a genetic and environmental link.
Original post by Aceric
The studies that thought they found any other gene were carried out with tiny sample sizes compared to this study.

The study is ongoing, yes, but at this point, after processing 24k+ applicants the study has found no gene.

They say 23 000 participants in the survey, but seem to omit the sample size for the GWAS, which is probably significantly less
Are Deez Nuts tied to a genetic marker?

This provides a great explanation.

It wasn't "institutionalised" per se. Greeks and Romans made no distinctions between heterosexuality or homosexuality. These words are young (circa 100 yrs old), and there are no equivalent ones in neither Ancient Greek nor Latin.

Instead, the distinction was between the "active" and the "passive" role - irrespective of who had the passive role, be it man or woman. Nonetheless, if institutionalised you mean they could marry, then yes, that was true, particularly in Rome.

What does that prove? Apart from it being anecdotal evidence, if they had sexual intercourse with both sexes, they are bisexual. End of. A heterosexual would be disgusted at the thought of having sex with a man, and a homosexual the same with a woman.

I am well aware of the situation in the Greek islands (and Athens and Thessaloniki for that matter), as I'm Greek myself. It has been like that for thousands of years, bar occupations and wars. I fail to see, however, how repression and hedonism are relevant to the subject matter at hand...? Care to explain?
Hi, classicist here, who studied history of sexuality and gender specifically. Although there is something in what you say, it's not an accurate assessment. Firstly, conceptions of sexuality differed significantly over time and place in the ancient med. Rome's culture also had completely different origins to Greece's, and although it borrowed a lot from Greece from the mid/late republic on, it remained very much distinct. But there was absolutely no point at which women would have been considered to have been 'active' in sex with a man! And although there is a tiny bit of evidence that possibly some sort of same-sex marriage rituals might have taken place at some point in Rome's history, there is no actual directly attested example, and such a 'marriage' did not exist in law. And although the terminology of 'active' and 'passive' does originate in these cultures, it is not accurate to think of this as a replacement for binary sexual orientation.

It is true that the concept of a symmetrical hetero- and homosexuality is very recent (very!). However, it's certainly not the case that same-sex and heterosexed behaviour and relationships were considered equivalent. Although Athens did have normalised same-sex relationships in the form of pederasty, the limits on what was considered respectable in this context were very narrow. In particular, pederasty as openly portrayed did not include penetrative sex, ever (not to say that it didn't take place, but it was considered extremely taboo for a male citizen to be the 'passive' partner). When homosexual behaviour in Rome was considered respectable, when it was considered transgressive, and when it was considered abhorrent, was similarly circumscribed.

In general, particular constructions of sexuality translate poorly between cultures. This is one reason it is difficult to take the concept of a 'gay gene' seriously. Exclusive homosexuality gets a lot of press but is rare in all periods, including the present. The fact that four times as many people in this survey described themselves as 'not completely hetero/homosexual' or 'bisexual' demonstrates how difficult it is to do meaningful research on this subject. As someone is open about having sex with both men and women, I can tell you that most people still find it a novelty. So it's a real question who all these respondents are, and whether they would agree with the sexuality the survey assigned to them.

It's an interesting survey. But it's not really very compelling. Everything, from the self selecting sample, to the self reported data, to the questionable model and definition of sexuality, to the multimulti comparison and posthoc approach, counts against it. And yes, not proving something isn't the same as proving that not-something. Still, interesting start!

PS I don't know why you think that a gay man has to find the idea of sex with a woman repulsive. Not so much older men, but a lot of gay men my age tell me they are curious about having sex with women. (We're probably also the first generation where so many out gay men have never had sex with a woman or a girlfriend - coincidence?)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 72
Original post by ThomasPassion
Hi, classicist here, who studied history of sexuality and gender specifically. Although there is something in what you say, it's not an accurate assessment. Firstly, conceptions of sexuality differed significantly over time and place in the ancient med. Rome's culture also had completely different origins to Greece's, and although it borrowed a lot from Greece from the mid/late republic on, it remained very much distinct. But there was absolutely no point at which women would have been considered to have been 'active' in sex with a man! And although there is a tiny bit of evidence that possibly some sort of same-sex marriage rituals might have taken place at some point in Rome's history, there is no actual directly attested example, and such a 'marriage' did not exist in law. And although the terminology of 'active' and 'passive' does originate in these cultures, it is not accurate to think of this as a replacement for binary sexual orientation.

Perhaps I didn't make it clear, but my point was that women never had the active role (of course...).

On the second point, you may wish to look into Tacitus' account of the marriage between emperor Nero and Pythagoras, where the former was the bride (it still makes me laugh, nonetheless).

It is true that the concept of a symmetrical hetero- and homosexuality is very recent (very!). However, it's certainly not the case that same-sex and heterosexed behaviour and relationships were considered equivalent. Although Athens did have normalised same-sex relationships in the form of pederasty, the limits on what was considered respectable in this context were very narrow. In particular, pederasty as openly portrayed did not include penetrative sex, ever (not to say that it didn't take place, but it was considered extremely taboo for a male citizen to be the 'passive' partner). When homosexual behaviour in Rome was considered respectable, when it was considered transgressive, and when it was considered abhorrent, was similarly circumscribed.

I'm not sure if saying it did not include penetration is correct. Certainly, the structures are completely different to today; the erastes, the older men, had to show more than just sexual interests towards the eromenoi, the younger boys. Intercrural sex was often preferred to penetration, but that does not mean, as you say, that penetration did not take place.

What is important here, however, is the perception towards homosexuality during those times, and of course it was mostly more tolerant than even today's most tolerant countries.

To give an example, Plato, in his Symposium, took the position that armies should comprise of lovers (obviously referring to men), and Thebes then did in fact do this.

The issue with the eromenoi was whether they, being submissive, should have full political rights - that is why is was a taboo matter in those respective cases. Nonetheless, this varied depending on the area, with some celebrating it, while others being cautious on the matter of same-sex eros (strictly speaking, the word goes beyond the regular meaning of love or desire attested to it, and includes intercourse).

In general, particular constructions of sexuality translate poorly between cultures. This is one reason it is difficult to take the concept of a 'gay gene' seriously. Exclusive homosexuality gets a lot of press but is rare in all periods, including the present. The fact that four times as many people in this survey described themselves as 'not completely hetero/homosexual' or 'bisexual' demonstrates how difficult it is to do meaningful research on this subject. As someone is open about having sex with both men and women, I can tell you that most people still find it a novelty. So it's a real question who all these respondents are, and whether they would agree with the sexuality the survey assigned to them.

It's an interesting survey. But it's not really very compelling. Everything, from the self selecting sample, to the self reported data, to the questionable model and definition of sexuality, to the multimulti comparison and posthoc approach, counts against it. And yes, not proving something isn't the same as proving that not-something. Still, interesting start!

I would disregard this study for the moment, for it lacks the necessarily elements of a citable research study.

I do agree with your points, though.

PS I don't know why you think that a gay man has to find the idea of sex with a woman repulsive. Not so much older men, but a lot of gay men my age tell me they are curious about having sex with women. (We're probably also the first generation where so many out gay men have never had sex with a woman or a girlfriend - coincidence?)

Admittedly "repulsive" was not the right adjective. However, talking from personal experience (mostly through friends, but even myself), gay people would feel extremely uncomfortable to even consider having sex with women. I don't want to get to descriptive for obvious reasons, but it depends on the position one has in same-sex intercourse. Where someone is purely passive/submissive, sex with women is evidently difficult. Where, on the other hand, someone is active/dominant, things may change (and this may go into "bisexuality" grounds, in turn). I do not claim to know what everyone feels, because everyone is different. But this is my perspective.

[Nice points there, for once in this thread! :smile:]

Secondly, please don't be so ignorant.

You have a very immature view of life. Try being with someone you don't actually like and you'll understand how unfair and wrong you are, and how much you'll hurt them in turn.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisexuality

A 2002 survey in the United States by National Center for Health Statistics found that 1.8 percent of men ages 18–44 considered themselves bisexual, 2.3 percent homosexual, and 3.9 percent as "something else". The same study found that 2.8 percent of women ages 18–44 considered themselves bisexual, 1.3 percent homosexual, and 3.8 percent as "something else".[26] In 2007, an article in the 'Health' section of The New York Times stated that "1.5 percent of American women and 1.7 percent of American men identify themselves [as] bisexual."[27] Also in 2007, it was reported that 14.4 percent of young US women identified themselves as "not strictly heterosexual", with 5.6 percent of the men identifying as gay or bisexual.[28] A study in the journal Biological Psychology in 2011 reported that there were men who identify themselves as bisexuals and who were aroused by both men and women.[29] In the first large-scale government survey measuring Americans' sexual orientation, the NHIS reported in July 2014 that only 0.7 percent of Americans identify as bisexual.[30]
Reply 74
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisexuality

A 2002 survey in the United States by National Center for Health Statistics found that 1.8 percent of men ages 18–44 considered themselves bisexual, 2.3 percent homosexual, and 3.9 percent as "something else". The same study found that 2.8 percent of women ages 18–44 considered themselves bisexual, 1.3 percent homosexual, and 3.8 percent as "something else".[26] In 2007, an article in the 'Health' section of The New York Times stated that "1.5 percent of American women and 1.7 percent of American men identify themselves [as] bisexual."[27] Also in 2007, it was reported that 14.4 percent of young US women identified themselves as "not strictly heterosexual", with 5.6 percent of the men identifying as gay or bisexual.[28] A study in the journal Biological Psychology in 2011 reported that there were men who identify themselves as bisexuals and who were aroused by both men and women.[29] In the first large-scale government survey measuring Americans' sexual orientation, the NHIS reported in July 2014 that only 0.7 percent of Americans identify as bisexual.[30]

And...? I fail to see the relevance of this (off of Wikipedia!).

We're talking about homosexuality, not bisexuality.
And...? I fail to see the relevance of this (off of Wikipedia!).

We're talking about homosexuality, not bisexuality.

I was talking about the fact that genetic and physiological studies are not yielding evidence that more than a small fraction of the propensity to be attracted to members of the same sex is organic. All the evidence points strongly to familial and behavioural factors.

I pointed out that this is not surprising because many people can choose to be attracted to their own sex - this is the lesson of history and experience. Bisexuality is evidence for this propensity because there is the expected group of people who do both behaviours. The growth in experimentation is also strong evidence for this ability to choose (see graph in my post above where 17% of people in recent years had experimented).

It seems that homosexuality is a behavioural trait like many others. As in many behaviours, there are some people who don't want to perform a behaviour, many who can choose to do so at will and some who cannot stop. The fact that this trait is linked to pleasure and social life, including cult-like social groups, means that it may also have addictive qualities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending