The Student Room Group

Best A-levels for reading philosophy at Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by sweeneyrod
Not a philosophy applicant (although I was considering applying for CompSci and Philosophy at The Other Place), but Sophie's World is a great introduction to philosophy.

I presume that 'The Other Place' is Oxford :tongue:
Reply 41
Original post by tomfailinghelp
That was me, I switched subjects :smile:

Sneaky!

Hope you're enjoying PBS :smile:
Original post by Daito
I presume that 'The Other Place' is Oxford :tongue:

Yes (but I made the right decision eventually!)
Reply 43
Yes (but I made the right decision eventually!)

Ahhh, fair enough man. What did you go for eventually?
Original post by Daito
Ahhh, fair enough man. What did you go for eventually?

CompSci with Maths. I still enjoy reading philosophyish books, but I decided not to do a degree in it, since it would involve lots of essays and insufficient maths.
Reply 45
CompSci with Maths. I still enjoy reading philosophyish books, but I decided not to do a degree in it, since it would involve lots of essays and insufficient maths.

Those reasons right there are pretty much why I don't want to take a pure mathematical subject for degree xD
Did you get in? I heard that offers were sent out like a week ago
Original post by Daito
No I mean supported as in family wise, my dad has always said that he'd pay for me to go through uni but I'm fairly sure he was under the impression that it was going to study for like 3 years and then at some point pay him back. I mean I was thinking that it'd be hard to convince him that I should take philosophy xD

This is why I suggested the political theory and political thought as there is so much you can do with it after graduation. Just getting the London MA should be enough to become a researcher at the Institute for Government. www.w4mpjobs.org

Original post by Daito
Do you know what the German proficiency test is like(oral, written etc)?

I'm guessing if you got predicted A at a-level german would be enough, speak to your school career advisor about international study.

Original post by Daito
And at Nottingham I know you said that all courses are taught in English but will I get looked down upon for not speaking fluent Chinese

You will be with a group of enthusiastic english speaking student who all want to learn chinese!
Reply 47
Original post by Daito
Those reasons right there are pretty much why I don't want to take a pure mathematical subject for degree xD

Have a look at the CompSci & Philosophy course at The Other Place (it's good enough for Nick D'Aloisio...)

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/computer-science-and-philosophy
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by jneill
Have a look at the CompSci & Philosphy course at The Other Place (it's good enough for Nick D'Aloisio...)

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/computer-science-and-philosophy

I should probably know this, but who's Nick D'Aloisio?
Reply 49
Original post by Daito
I should probably know this, but who's Nick D'Aloisio?

A very talented young man

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2014-09/24/nick-daloisio-exclusive
Reply 50

Reading that article, I'm not sure that that does him justice:eek:
Original post by Daito

I applied to Cambridge for CompSci with Maths (rather than Oxford's CompSci and Philosophy) so I've got ~15 hours to wait to find out if I got in!
Reply 52
I applied to Cambridge for CompSci with Maths (rather than Oxford's CompSci and Philosophy) so I've got ~15 hours to wait to find out if I got in!

Good luck man, i'd be bricking it right now if I were you
Reply 53
Original post by Platopus
@jneill thanks for tagging me in :smile:
I'm a current A-level philosophy student who has applied to Cambridge. I will be receiving my rejection letter this Tuesday, but that's more to do with my performance at interview than my A-level subject choices!

You need to correct this :smile: :smile: :smile:

:party:
Original post by jneill
You need to correct this :smile: :smile: :smile:

:party:

Prsom again - I will fix that now :wink:
@jneill thanks for tagging me in :smile:
I'm a current A-level philosophy student who has applied to Cambridge. I will be receiving my rejection letter this Tuesday, but that's more to do with my performance at interview than my A-level subject choices

Well, this is embarrassing... I got an offer. Guess my advice might be worth something after all.
@jneill thanks for tagging me in I'm a current A-level philosophy student who has applied to Cambridge. I will be receiving my rejection letter this Tuesday, but that's more to do with my performance at interview than my A-level subject choices
Well, this is embarrassing... I got an offer. Guess my advice might be worth something after all.
Reply 57

Well done!
Original post by jneill
Let's get some more opinions...

Calling @Platopus (current Cambridge philosophy applicant) and @tomfailinghelp (current philosopher at Cambridge)

ngl bit offended im not included there man :'

but then we don't really talk much :wink:

Original post by jneill
Whaaaaaat!? Soz! So who was the philosopher last year?

'THE' :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by tara8000
ngl bit offended im not included there man :'

but then we don't really talk much :wink:

'THE' :frown:

Soz!

How's it going there?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest