The Student Room Group

Best A-levels for reading philosophy at Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill
Soz!

How's it going there?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really good! I love it so much :biggrin:

I was thinking about how no one had come to introduce themselves to me as tomfailinghelp...only to realise I could come and check posts on here to see if I could work out who it was...!...then to find out he'd moved anyway :tongue:

Hence the revival of this few-days-old thread...!
Original post by Daito
The title's pretty self-explanatory^^^^

If you still have any questions, feel free to ask me, OP! :smile:
Reply 61
Original post by tara8000
Really good! I love it so much :biggrin:

That's brilliant. I'm glad to hear it!

And yeah lol at tom...

I'll try to summon you the next time I need a PROPER philosopher :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62

If you still have any questions, feel free to ask me, OP! :smile:

I know it's probably about a year late but congratulations on getting in! xD

What A-levels did you take?
Original post by Daito
I know it's probably about a year late but congratulations on getting in! xD

What A-levels did you take?

aha thanks! :smile: it still doesn't feel real x)

Maths, Physics, English Literature and Biology. I did Psychology AS In Year 12..but then dropped it...!

And I did Religious Studies to A2 two years early.
Reply 64
aha thanks! :smile: it still doesn't feel real x)

Maths, Physics, English Literature and Biology. I did Psychology AS In Year 12..but then dropped it...!

And I did Religious Studies to A2 two years early.

Ahhhh, ok, what sort of offer did they give you for that? I'm still in awe by your 5 and a half a levels btw x3
Original post by Daito
Ahhhh, ok, what sort of offer did they give you for that? I'm still in awe by your 5 and a half a levels btw x3

aha...it's not that great :tongue:

just the standard A*AA in maths, English and one of the sciences (aka I couldn't get the non-A grade in maths or english
Reply 66
aha...it's not that great :tongue:

just the standard A*AA in maths, English and one of the sciences (aka I couldn't get the non-A grade in maths or english

It just comes across as a really big workload. I suppose that may just be because I'm in GCSE, but it does sound impressive.
Do you think my current choices would be okay?
Throwing in my opinion;

Maths, German, History, Economics.

If possible substitute Economics with Philosophy/RE/P&E.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Daito
It just comes across as a really big workload. I suppose that may just be because I'm in GCSE, but it does sound impressive.
Do you think my current choices would be okay?

ok so I can't seem to find your choices??

but in general... a mix of humanities/sciences is nice...but there are definitely a lot of students here who did only arts.

Make sure you have at least one essay subject, and to be safe make sure it's from the ideal column in the fancy trinity subject list...!

but yeah if you tell me what you're thinking i'll be able to give you a better idea of how well they'll prepare you for the course/application
Reply 69
ok so I can't seem to find your choices??

but in general... a mix of humanities/sciences is nice...but there are definitely a lot of students here who did only arts.

Make sure you have at least one essay subject, and to be safe make sure it's from the ideal column in the fancy trinity subject list...!

but yeah if you tell me what you're thinking i'll be able to give you a better idea of how well they'll prepare you for the course/application

Earlier on in the thread I mentioned that I was thinking about maths, further maths, german and economics with a possibility of swapping economics/f. maths for English lit. Any advice on this as I've been told that more than 1 essay subject is a good idea?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 70
Original post by PAStudent1996
Throwing in my opinion;

Maths, German, History, Economics.

If possible substitute Economics with Philosophy/RE/P&E.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I did want to take philosophy but unfortunately my sixth form doesn't offer them and from what @tomfailinghelp said taking them at a level would give you the wrong notion as to what degree level study is like
Original post by Daito
Earlier on in the thread I mentioned that I was thinking about maths, further maths, german and economics with a possibility of swapping economics/f. maths for English lit. Any advice on this as I've been told that more than 1 essay subject is a good idea?

ok so I, personally, would swap the economics for lit b/c the sort of maths used in econ doesn't really help for how logic works (as far as im aware it's mostly statistical?? and logic...so far... is very much symbol manipulation).

I'd also suggest swapping further maths out for something - unless you really like maths/are interested in phil of maths stuff... I didn't do further maths...but I assume some of it might be useful with metaphysics later...not actual content, but in understanding concepts and stuff?? it depends what sort of philosophy you want to do :tongue:

at the very least, maths, English lit and german would be perfectly fine A2s I think
Reply 73
ok so I, personally, would swap the economics for lit b/c the sort of maths used in econ doesn't really help for how logic works (as far as im aware it's mostly statistical?? and logic...so far... is very much symbol manipulation).

I'd also suggest swapping further maths out for something - unless you really like maths/are interested in phil of maths stuff... I didn't do further maths...but I assume some of it might be useful with metaphysics later...not actual content, but in understanding concepts and stuff?? it depends what sort of philosophy you want to do :tongue:

at the very least, maths, English lit and german would be perfectly fine A2s I think

Thank you for the advice, what exactly does philosophy of maths ensue? Also, what do you think about history to A2?
Original post by Daito
Thank you for the advice, what exactly does philosophy of maths ensue? Also, what do you think about history to A2?

aha.. I have no clue :tongue: we don't really look at it... but I felt that maybe if you liked maths you might read books around it? It's like, how we use maths and the methods involved and stuff like that (I really liked maths... and wanted to do maths and phil in like.. year 9?? and did like... a maths essay?? on phil of maths stuff in year 12 :tongue:...our maths teacher was v strange)

I think history to A2 would be a good idea! :smile: it's one of those all round useful subjects! I imagine it'd help with essay writing - easily incorporating all the readings as you would your sources...but I wouldn't really know as I dropped history as soon as I could :tongue:
Reply 75
aha.. I have no clue :tongue: we don't really look at it... but I felt that maybe if you liked maths you might read books around it? It's like, how we use maths and the methods involved and stuff like that (I really liked maths... and wanted to do maths and phil in like.. year 9?? and did like... a maths essay?? on phil of maths stuff in year 12 :tongue:...our maths teacher was v strange)

I think history to A2 would be a good idea! :smile: it's one of those all round useful subjects! I imagine it'd help with essay writing - easily incorporating all the readings as you would your sources...but I wouldn't really know as I dropped history as soon as I could :tongue:

I hadn't actually heard about it but it sounds as though it's essentially my two best strengths. Does maths and philosophy cover mathematical philosophy 'cause it sounds pretty awesome:biggrin:
Nahhh come on, history's not that bad, personally, I enjoy it :3
Sorry about all the questions btw
Original post by Daito
I hadn't actually heard about it but it sounds as though it's essentially my two best strengths. Does maths and philosophy cover mathematical philosophy 'cause it sounds pretty awesome:biggrin:
Nahhh come on, history's not that bad, personally, I enjoy it :3
Sorry about all the questions btw

ah well. when you do joint honours there are rarely/not necessarily any modules that actually combine the disciplines... so its just learning two separate subjects :frown:

and niiiiccee!! fellow maths loving philosopher (I assume you're going to stick with it :wink: )

and no worries... that's what tsr is for! :smile:
Reply 77
ah well. when you do joint honours there are rarely/not necessarily any modules that actually combine the disciplines... so its just learning two separate subjects :frown:

and niiiiccee!! fellow maths loving philosopher (I assume you're going to stick with it :wink: )

and no worries... that's what tsr is for! :smile:

That's a shame:frown: I don't know how one would a joint honours anyway, it seems like a lot of work:tongue:
you assume correctly, my friend. I've been needing something to do for ages anyway xD
Ok, coool, I felt as though it may be a bit annoying to have to keep answering my questions:s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending