The Student Room Group

Being single in second year at uni ??

I'm becoming increasingly worried about being single in my second year. I am in first year at the moment, and single, but I know in second year everyone tends to couple up and I know that won't happen to Mr (I'm 19 and never had a boyfriend, and tbh, quite frankly I am not nice looking at all so I've given up all hope)

I'm scared I'll be lonely AF as I reckon by then everyone I'm living with will have found a lover.

No one will want to go out as they will be quite content hanging out with their partners, whilst I'll be all alone in my room getting depressed ....,
I'm in my first year and haven't found a girlfriend. We won't be the only one's.

Chin up, focus on yourself.
I'm in my final year and honestly that rarely happened. My friends and I are still single. We're still very young and there's plenty of time to find a partner :smile:

People are always up for going out and if your part of societies then there will be freshers or even some second/final years that have finally decided to join :smile:
Who says everyone couples up in second year? Uni is about learning and enjoying yourself without feeling tied down, most people don't 'couple up' until after Uni ends imo
The worst thing to do is feel ‘depressed’ (not a word to be used lightly). It would then become a vicious cycle.

I know what it’s like not to have any confidence in your looks or any other aspects. I’m not going to sell you any dreams; that looks don’t matter, personality is more important etc etc (though people’s standards may drop when they’ve had one too many). You have to make the best of what you have, work on anything that you can. Maybe perfecting your makeup or how you do your hair, taking up some form of exercises, dressing well and so on.

People say that ‘confidence is attractive’ and who knows, maybe sometimes it is. But what I get from that saying is that, y’know, if you don’t have confidence in yourself then that is unattractive. Again, I know what it’s like to feel like your confidence in your looks might be misplaced so you don’t bother. But if you say ‘ahh I’m ugly’ to someone, or imagine that someone said that to you, you’re never going to get anywhere.

There are a lot of important things to worry about not just how you do in your studies but the social aspect of uni and that social aspect gets you skills, but it’s also most likely your main way of meeting new people. Whether it’s societies or just nights out at clubs in town, if you don’t put yourself out there then nothing will happen. Even if it’s taking up a sport. The second semester has just started or is about to start, there are people (including myself) that didn’t really get involved in the first semester that want to in the second semester. So make friends, get skills, have things to talk about in interviews, and keep trying.

I have set myself goals to improve myself this year. Learn how to speak Dutch. Take up running and train for the Bath half Marathon in 2018. Learn how to cook things properly, and baking. Get involved in more societies at university.

TL;DR work with what you’ve got, improve yourself, be open to new things.
Reply 5
Original post by lachachacha
but I know in second year everyone tends to couple up ,

What
Reply 6
Original post by UWS
What

first year - everyone gets in some dumb relationship
second year - everyone breaks up and you shag freshers cus they're easy game
third year - forever alone
Reply 7
Original post by whorace