The Student Room Group

Personal Statement help asap!!!

Heyy. So I'm trying to write this personal statement for a grammar school I'm applying to for sixth form. I want to do medicine in the future and I'm planning to take bio, chem, math and psychology as my courses. The problem is, I'm having starting difficulties. I need like a punchy starting line but I'm so stuck. I also want to say why i chose these courses, but the words don't seem to form! It would be great if any of you could help me out??
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SoDoneWithSchool
Heyy. So I'm trying to write this personal statement for a grammar school I'm applying to for sixth form. I want to do medicine in the future and I'm planning to take bio, chem, math and psychology as my courses. The problem is, I'm having starting difficulties. I need like a punchy starting line but I'm so stuck. I also want to say why i chose these courses, but the words don't seem to form! It would be great if any of you could help me out??

No one is going to write it for you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AllegedLegends
No one is going to write it for you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for enlightening me with that wonderful information.:smile: I am fully aware that most people wont "write it for me" neither am i wanting them to. All i asked was a starting line/point if that wasn't clear enough.
There's this piece of advice that I read in an ebook about writing personal statements (for university, but just as relevant here, I think) that I thought was quite good: imagine you've just met up with an old friend and they asked you why you want to study these subjects. What would you tell them? Base your statement around that.

Focus on getting the basics down first - you'll find it easier to incoorperate the punchy line after you've wrote the rest! :wink:

Good luck, OP! :biggrin:
Thank you for enlightening me with that wonderful information.:smile: I am fully aware that most people wont "write it for me" neither am i wanting them to. All i asked was a starting line/point if that wasn't clear enough.

why would anyone even give you a 'starting line'. its called plagiarism. there is loads of advice about applications if you google it like everyone else. how are you even going to get into medical school or get through it if you cant do an application by yourself without asking other people to write the first line
Original post by AllegedLegends
why would anyone even give you a 'starting line'. its called plagiarism. there is loads of advice about applications if you google it like everyone else. how are you even going to get into medical school or get through it if you cant do an application by yourself without asking other people to write the first line

Well love, for your information i am perfectly capable of doing applications by myself. Well i don't know bout you, but this is a forum where you can ask doubts etc. And if people did help me out with certain points, I'm clearly not dumb to write it as it is and I'll rather take it as an inspiration. And don't question other people's ability of becoming something depending on a thread they asked when clearly, looking at your info you're not Einstein either. Oh and i did check google and loads of things came up, and guess what? I didn't want to write what they wrote because like you said its called 'plagiarism' darling. Let me make it clear that i didn't ask anyone to write the whole frickin line for me. Its called getting a starting point. And guessing your new to these types of threads here, there are thousands of questions like mine and I'm afraid if you try to go around criticizing all of those hun, it gonna take pretty damn long. :smile: So I'd think its better to go back in your life rather than trying to interfere in people like mine who is trying the very best to reach their ambition.
Well love, for your information i am perfectly capable of doing applications by myself. Well i don't know bout you, but this is a forum where you can ask doubts etc. And if people did help me out with certain points, I'm clearly not dumb to write it as it is and I'll rather take it as an inspiration. And don't question other people's ability of becoming something depending on a thread they asked when clearly, looking at your info you're not Einstein either. Oh and i did check google and loads of things came up, and guess what? I didn't want to write what they wrote because like you said its called 'plagiarism' darling. Let me make it clear that i didn't ask anyone to write the whole frickin line for me. Its called getting a starting point. And guessing your new to these types of threads here, there are thousands of questions like mine and I'm afraid if you try to go around criticizing all of those hun, it gonna take pretty damn long. :smile: So I'd think its better to go back in your life rather than trying to interfere in people like mine who is trying the very best to reach their ambition.

Hahaha hahaha

Im no 'Einstein'? do you look down on people who work in manual labour or something? Just because I work in construction doesn't mean I dont have a brain. I'll be managing whole sites before your ever a doctor. Ive finished school 'love' and Im not the one who cant write an application form haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Hi!
I go to a grammar school and have done for 7 years (now in year 13).

What I've learnt about personal statements from my school is:
-Include 1 or 2 quotes from relevant people to do with your subjects BUT do not choose obvious ones. For example I recently applied for Psychology at university but was specifically told to NOT use a quote from Sigmund Freud... way too obvious!
-The school will also really like it if you could mention why you want to study these things, what you would aim to achieve after sixth form (e.g. university) and maybe even what you would like to do post-university.
-Also say how you will go about achieving high grades, how hard you will work, what will motivate you to work.

A good starting point is to speak about your childhood and what made you want to study these subjects. I know it may be the obvious choice but it works - I mentioned about why I was so keen on Psychology since my childhood, and have 4/5 offers from universities so far! Include any books you read/things you watched that sparked your interest.

Further reading is key - mention what extra work you've done to enhance your knowledge of a subject.

I hope this helps! :smile:
The sass on here is unreal between you and @AllegedLegends :toofunny:

Start by speaking about an experience

I started talking about my dad and computers - applied for Software Engineering
My friend spoke about being in a field - Geography

Obviously the rest counts, but I feel like our strong beginnings really did help with securing 5 offers.
For a sixth form application do your research about the sixth form. Look at how they organise their courses and the support they offer.

They're not going to want to read a life story about why you want to be a doctor.

They want to know that you're motivated to make the most of the opportunities they offer.
They want to know that your attitude to your studies is in line with the college culture.
They want to know you won't be a pain to teach.

If they're strict on punctuality and attendance then talk about that. If they're strict on dress codes then explain how that is something you find helpful to focus on your studies. If they offer a bunch of extra curricular activities that you are interested in then show them that you've done your research.

Talk a bit about your subjects but that is NOT the main focus for sixth form applications. Most sixth forms will judge your academics on your GCSE predictions and then actual grades. If you want to do an A level subject you haven't studied at GCSE then that needs a bit more explaining (but only a sentence or so saying you've looked at the syllabus and a book or documentary so you know what you're getting into).

Most colleges will let you swap subjects between applying and a few weeks into first term so they aren't scoring individual subject choices.
Original post by thecatwithnohat

Obviously the rest counts, but I feel like our strong beginnings really did help with securing 5 offers.

ikr :laugh:
Original post by acupofgreentea
There's this piece of advice that I read in an ebook about writing personal statements (for university, but just as relevant here, I think) that I thought was quite good: imagine you've just met up with an old friend and they asked you why you want to study these subjects. What would you tell them? Base your statement around that.

Focus on getting the basics down first - you'll find it easier to incoorperate the punchy line after you've wrote the rest! :wink:

Good luck, OP! :biggrin:

Thank you so much! sorry i didn't see this earlier on! I was a bit too involved in the beef between the other dude!:colondollar: But much appreciated:smile:
Original post by thornes
Hi!
I go to a grammar school and have done for 7 years (now in year 13).

What I've learnt about personal statements from my school is:
-Include 1 or 2 quotes from relevant people to do with your subjects BUT do not choose obvious ones. For example I recently applied for Psychology at university but was specifically told to NOT use a quote from Sigmund Freud... way too obvious!
-The school will also really like it if you could mention why you want to study these things, what you would aim to achieve after sixth form (e.g. university) and maybe even what you would like to do post-university.
-Also say how you will go about achieving high grades, how hard you will work, what will motivate you to work.

A good starting point is to speak about your childhood and what made you want to study these subjects. I know it may be the obvious choice but it works - I mentioned about why I was so keen on Psychology since my childhood, and have 4/5 offers from universities so far! Include any books you read/things you watched that sparked your interest.

Further reading is key - mention what extra work you've done to enhance your knowledge of a subject.

I hope this helps! :smile:

Awh! Thank you so much! It really did!:smile: Yeah I'm going to include the childhood thing (wanted to be a doc since i was 3:colondollar:)
The structure you gave really helped!! And good luck for uni btw!! I'm sure you'll be brill.:h:
Original post by Plagioclase
It's a personal statement, nobody here can give you a starting line. You definitely do not want to use a starting line someone in the internet gave you because it will be cliche and will probably irritate admissions tutors.

This is the best advice I have ever seen regarding how to write a good personal statement, so I recommend you watch it (even if you find it useless it's still very entertaining! :lol:)

Loool oh dear that quote though. I was slightly angry when i wrote that! :colondollar:
I wasn't intending on using the exact same line or any other examples from the internet. I just needed some inspiration. But thank you. I managed to write things down eventually.:smile:
Loool oh dear that quote though. I was slightly angry when i wrote that! :colondollar:
I wasn't intending on using the exact same line or any other examples from the internet. I just needed some inspiration. But thank you. I managed to write things down eventually.:smile:

Edit: Just realised this isn't a uni application, ignore me.
Awh! Thank you so much! It really did!:smile: Yeah I'm going to include the childhood thing (wanted to be a doc since i was 3:colondollar:)
The structure you gave really helped!! And good luck for uni btw!! I'm sure you'll be brill.:h:

Please don't. This is NOT a medicine PS it's for entry into a sixth form. What the staff will be interested in is VERY different to a university PS.
Original post by PQ
For a sixth form application do your research about the sixth form. Look at how they organise their courses and the support they offer.

They're not going to want to read a life story about why you want to be a doctor.

They want to know that you're motivated to make the most of the opportunities they offer.
They want to know that your attitude to your studies is in line with the college culture.

If they're strict on punctuality and attendance then talk about that. If they're strict on dress codes then explain how that is something you find helpful to focus on your studies. If they offer a bunch of extra curricular activities that you are interested in then show them that you've done your research.

Talk a bit about your subjects but that is NOT the main focus for sixth form applications. Most sixth forms will judge your academics on your GCSE predictions and then actual grades. If you want to do an A level subject you haven't studied at GCSE then that needs a bit more explaining (but only a sentence or so saying you've looked at the syllabus and a book or documentary so you know what you're getting into).

Most colleges will let you swap subjects between applying and a few weeks into first term so they aren't scoring individual subject choices.
Original post by acupofgreentea
ikr :laugh:

Thanks guys:innocent: I was really pissed off then, please don't judge :colondollar:
Original post by thecatwithnohat

Thank you!! Yeah i just wanted to make it sort of catching at first you know? Didn't want to write the potential same thing as others or be too boring. I'm applying from a normal school and i'd love to go to this grammar for sixth form. They only give out 40 external places so it's a bit competitive too.:ahhhhh:But thank you again!! I'll take on the advice :smile:
Original post by PQ

Thank you i saw your other post too! i think I'd have to do a bit of re doing! But thank you for the help!:smile:
Do you think i should take about the skills i have as a person?
Original post by Plagioclase
Edit: Just realised this isn't a uni application, ignore me.

Oh dear! Thats fine:h:
Thank you i saw your other post too! i think I'd have to do a bit of re doing! But thank you for the help!:smile:
Do you think i should take about the skills i have as a person?

I would suggest having a real dig around their website. Look for values/annual reports etc etc and see what they talk about as their big priorities. Try to mirror their use of language and key phrases words (ie if one of their values is loyalty then talk about that, if they value discipline talk about self discipline and how you work well in a structured environment).

Basically get familiar with how they think of themselves and give the impression you will slot into that quickly and easily and thrive in the environment they provide.

Talk about skills if that fits in with what they talk about (and when you do don't just LIST a skill but give a specific example of a time you demonstrated that skill - anyone can say they have strong communication skills - fewer people can talk about a time when they produced a piece of writing or an explanation of something for a specific audience).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending