The Student Room Group
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London

Music - Course Ambassador Q&A

Scroll to see replies

My week - 06th May 2016

It is now the start of May, which means for me, all of my assignments have been submitted! Yay! Summer is finally here. Unfortunately, for a lot of students in college and in university, they still have exams approaching.

I will still be working and around Middlesex University during the summer. Partly with my student ambassador role, and my SLA role. Also, another student and I want to start an exciting new project during the summer that can take place this coming September. So keep an eye out for that! It involves music with film! Apart from that, I am going to try and stay involved with music as much as I can. I am hoping to perform at a few gigs in the summer.

One of the modules I have chosen for 3rd year is a major project, which is actually worth two modules - meaning it is half of my 3rd and can have a serious impact on my degree classification. I am a bit scared about it, though I know if I prepare well for it during the summer, I will do well. I am hoping to hold a two day festival somewhere in Ireland, which means I will need to spend some time there to start planning and making some contacts.

Second year has been an eventful year, but I am so glad summer has finally arrived. I plan on travelling to France, Italy, Slovenia, Croatia and Spain. What are you guys excited for this summer?

Mary,
Middlesex Course Ambassador,
Music.
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London
Hi Mary!
I'm an Italian singer/songwriter; I received an offer for the popular music course at MDX. I received four offers from London universities and now I have to choose the right one for me. This is the most important choice of my life until now; it is the beginning of a new life in a new Country, you know...
The courses seem quite similar and here is my million-dollar question: Why should I choose MDX and not the others?
I'd like to know how MDX help students to find opportunities in the music industry; how many times does MDX give you the chance to play outside the campus during the year? Does the uni organize music events? how many hours per week are the classes? There is a uni label to promote students? Is there the opportunity for a pop music student to collaborate with a classical music student? Are there bursaries and scholarships for a foreigner student? How about rehearsal rooms? How is the percentage of practical and theoretical studies? Is this course more focused on the history of music and the study of famous musicians and their music or is it more focused on the development of the artist identity's itself?

Thank you for your precious help :biggrin:

Alessandro
Alessandro

Hi Alessandro!

Lovely to see someone with so many questions. I agree - picking the university that is right for you is very important, and a bit scary. You want to make sure it helps you reach all of your goals! As an Irish girl moving to London, I had the very same questions! Congratulations on receiving four offers to study in London! Very impressive. As a BA Music Business and Arts Management student waiting to go into her 3rd and final year, I am so happy I chose Middlesex University over the other London universities! I definitely have no regrets.

Right there are a lot of questions here. I will try answer everything as best as I can. If I miss anything, please forgive me, just remind me. :smile:

"I'd like to know how MDX help students to find opportunities in the music industry": Well, MDX provide students with many opportunities in the music industry. Every week we have a FREE series of concerts and colloquia where musicians, MDX alumni, and professionals from the music industry actually come to our university. This is an amazing opportunity to listen to their stories, network with professionals and make yourself known. By doing this, students have often made great contacts, and received work. On top of this, most of the lecturers work in the music industry themselves. Lecturing is only their part time job. The music producer and head of Mute Records, Daniel Miller, is our Visiting Professor. If a student is passionate and driven, lecturers will acknowledge this! MDX music department also has professional development tutorials (PDT). This is a new scheme, but one that works very well. This is where you meet one-on-one with a tutor and discuss your career goals. The tutors will help you reach them through discussing your grades, how to secure work placement, helping you build your CV, etc,. Each year in study, you receive more PDT's as you are getting closer to full time employment. There is also a Middlesex Employability Centre where there are trained staff eager to assist students in finding their dream job, internship, etc,.
"How many times does MDX give you the chance to play outside the campus during the year": There really is no answer to this! The amount of times is endless. Honestly, I know bands and artists who perform 2-3 times a week in London. The music department does hold two major music events - one at Christmas, and one just before the summer. These gigs have been at the Jazz Cafe in Camden, the O2 Islington (where we had record label professionals attend to scout for new artists), and the list goes on. On top of this, the programme BA Music Business and Arts Management are always managing events around London where they need artists to perform! So really, it is up to you how much or little you perform. There is a copious amount of opportunities to play in venues around London. You just have to ask.
"Does the uni organize music events? how many hours per week are the classes?": As I mentioned above, yes! The music department helps students to organise two big events a year. On top of this, the BA Music Business and Arts Management degree organises more than 10 events during the academic year. Middlesex is big on collaboration. The different music courses love to collaborate so definitely expect to be asked to perform and get involved with various events throughout the year. You can even organise your own if you wish! There is plenty of support provided from lecturers, students, and Student Learning Assistants.
"How many hours per week are the classes?": This can vary from year to year. As you progress, you may have less contact time as you develop as a student and an artist and become more independent with your study. This does not mean less support, as the lecturers are so friendly and approachable. They are always happy to provide one-on-one tutorials if you ask for them. In general though, you have four modules that are about 1.5-2 hours each. Then you will have your group practice for 1 hour, as well as time for your individual instrument lessons. I would say roughly around 10 hours a week, that is not including your independent study and practice, of course.
"There is a uni label to promote students?": This has not been advertised as it is a project in the making, but there is currently a project underway to make this happen. Students have been working on creating a student university label to promote students. It really is very exciting. It would be great for new 1st students to get involved. Also, two 3rd year Popular music students have started their own label - Dreamscope Productions. They have even signed some popular music students. Check out their website: http://www.dreamscopeproduction.com/
"Is there the opportunity for a pop music student to collaborate with a classical music student?": YES!! As I mentioned before. Middlesex University are big on collaboration. Popular music students, Classical students, Jazz students, and Music Business students are constantly collaborating through performances and events. You will even share some classes with these students. The music department is a close knit community. The lecturers and students act as a family - always helping and supporting one another which creates this alluring creative environment for students to grow and develop themselves professionally. Not only do the various music degrees collaborate, but other courses in media and performing arts collaborate too. We have had students collaborate with dancers, film students, fashion, graphic design - you name. The opportunities are endless. You will find a passion for something you never knew you even cared about before!
"How about rehearsal rooms?": Our new facilities include a concert hall, music production suites, state-of-the-art soundproofed practice rooms which all have a piano and amps. There are some big enough for groups/bands and good enough for single use. Don't forget the recording studios - with technicians and sound engineers on hand to support you!
"How is the percentage of practical and theoretical studies?": I cannot tell you the exact percentage, but actually a it is very varied from module to module. As well as performing, practising and working on projects, both alone and in a group, you will learn through interactive lectures, creative workshops, seminars, tutorials, visits, class discussions and your own study. You assessment includes putting together portfolios of songs and creative work. You will be assessed on live and recorded performances, creative journals, essays, reports and presentations. You may even include work experience as part of you assessment which of course is a very practical aspect to the course.
"Are there bursaries and scholarships for a foreigner student? How about rehearsal rooms?": This honestly is not my expertise, but there are bursaries and scholarships available for foreign students. If you look at the link I am posting here, it should give you all the information you need. If you have any more questions, please do ask! http://www.mdx.ac.uk/courses/scholarships-and-bursaries
"Is this course more focused on the history of music and the study of famous musicians and their music or is it more focused on the development of the artist identity's itself": The course incorporates both aspects. In the first year, they concentrate on both, different genres, as well as how the music industry actually works. It is important to understand the history, different music cultures and the music industry in order for one musician to develop their identity as an artist. As you progress in 2nd and 3rd year, students are given many more options in their modules. So, if for example you have a keen interest in the history of music and so on, you can pick the modules most suited to that, and pick the more theoretical modules. On the other hand, if you are keen to focus on yourself as an artist, you can prick song writing, recording, performance and those more practical modules. This degree is very accommodating for the different goals and needs of students. In 3rd year students have the opportunity to take on an Independent project, which can vary from being very theoretical and something like a dissertation, or it can be very practical such as releasing an EP. Specific aims will vary depending on the nature of the project. It is really what you make of it!

So, finally I will get back to your very first question. The million dollar question. "Why should I choose MDX and not the other universities in London?":
Well, Middlesex University has such a diverse and creative environment. There are so many nationalities at our university. Even making friends with people is n educational experience as you learn about the different cultures and music from their countries. There are endless amount of opportunities to perform, get work experience and grow as a student, person and artist. Collaborating with other artists, or other art forms can be so educational, fun and a great way to make contacts. The support is endless at Middlesex. The academic staff are amazing, they constantly push you to do better and reach past your goals. There are even different schemes in place such as Student Learning Assistants, where students in your degree that are in the years above you help facilitate your learning and experiences while studying. These students are super friendly (I am one of them) and great to go to if you do not want to bother your lecturer. Middlesex University is right beside Camden - the heart of London. Camden has a great music scene and so many amazing venues to perform at! There are also many opportunities for students to further their stuies through a masters degree if they feel so inclined.
Honestly, the main reason, and probably the most important reason I believe Middlesex Univerity is so great, and the Music department in particular, is because they provide students with so much experience throughout their 3 years studying at Middlesex, that music students build a great portfolio and CV. Students become so independent, knowledgeable, experienced and have developed so many skills, that by the time they graduate, they have already transitioned so well into the working world of employment! And that is the main reason most of us go to university. To get employed!

I hope this helps, Alessandro. If you have any more questions, please ask. I am always delighted to to speak with prospective students.

Mary,
Music.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Freespirit_
Hi Mary!
I'm an Italian singer/songwriter; I received an offer for the popular music course at MDX. I received four offers from London universities and now I have to choose the right one for me. This is the most important choice of my life until now; it is the beginning of a new life in a new Country, you know...
The courses seem quite similar and here is my million-dollar question: Why should I choose MDX and not the others?
I'd like to know how MDX help students to find opportunities in the music industry; how many times does MDX give you the chance to play outside the campus during the year? Does the uni organize music events? how many hours per week are the classes? There is a uni label to promote students? Is there the opportunity for a pop music student to collaborate with a classical music student? Are there bursaries and scholarships for a foreigner student? How about rehearsal rooms? How is the percentage of practical and theoretical studies? Is this course more focused on the history of music and the study of famous musicians and their music or is it more focused on the development of the artist identity's itself?

Thank you for your precious help :biggrin:

Alessandro

Hi Alessndro!

Lovely to see someone with so many questions. I agree - picking the university that is right for you is very important, and a bit scary. You want to make sure it helps you reach all of your goals! As an Irish girl moving to London, I had the very same questions! Congratulations on receiving four offers to study in London! Very impressive. As a BA Music Business and Arts Management student waiting to go into her 3rd and final year, I am so happy I chose Middlesex University over the other London universities! I definitely have no regrets.

Right there are a lot of questions here. I will try answer everything as best as I can. If I miss anything, please forgive me, just remind me.

"I'd like to know how MDX help students to find opportunities in the music industry": Well, MDX provide students with many opportunities in the music industry. Every week we have a FREE series of concerts and colloquia where musicians, MDX alumni, and professionals from the music industry actually come to our university. This is an amazing opportunity to listen to their stories, network with professionals and make yourself known. By doing this, students have often made great contacts, and received work. On top of this, most of the lecturers work in the music industry themselves. Lecturing is only their part time job. The music producer and head of Mute Records, Daniel Miller, is our Visiting Professor. If a student is passionate and driven, lecturers will acknowledge this! MDX music department also has professional development tutorials (PDT). This is a new scheme, but one that works very well. This is where you meet one-on-one with a tutor and discuss your career goals. The tutors will help you reach them through discussing your grades, how to secure work placement, helping you build your CV, etc,. Each year in study, you receive more PDT's as you are getting closer to full time employment. There is also a Middlesex Employability Centre where there are trained staff eager to assist students in finding their dream job, internship, etc,.
"How many times does MDX give you the chance to play outside the campus during the year": There really is no answer to this! The amount of times is endless. Honestly, I know bands and artists who perform 2-3 times a week in London. The music department does hold two major music events - one at Christmas, and one just before the summer. These gigs have been at the Jazz Cafe in Camden, the O2 Islington (where we had record label professionals attend to scout for new artists), and the list goes on. On top of this, the programme BA Music Business and Arts Management are always managing events around London where they need artists to perform! So really, it is up to you how much or little you perform. There is a copious amount of opportunities to play in venues around London. You just have to ask.
"Does the uni organize music events? how many hours per week are the classes?": As I mentioned above, yes! The music department helps students to organise two big events a year. On top of this, the BA Music Business and Arts Management degree organises more than 10 events during the academic year. Middlesex is big on collaboration. The different music courses love to collaborate so definitely expect to be asked to perform and get involved with various events throughout the year. You can even organise your own if you wish! There is plenty of support provided from lecturers, students, and Student Learning Assistants.
"How many hours per week are the classes?": This can vary from year to year. As you progress, you may have less contact time as you develop as a student and an artist and become more independent with your study. This does not mean less support, as the lecturers are so friendly and approachable. They are always happy to provide one-on-one tutorials if you ask for them. In general though, you have four modules that are about 1.5-2 hours each. Then you will have your group practice for 1 hour, as well as time for your individual instrument lessons. I would say roughly around 10 hours a week, that is not including your independent study and practice, of course.
"There is a uni label to promote students?": This has not been advertised as it is a project in the making, but there is currently a project underway to make this happen. Students have been working on creating a student university label to promote students. It really is very exciting. It would be great for new 1st students to get involved. Also, two 3rd year Popular music students have started their own label - Dreamscope Productions. They have even signed some popular music students. Check out their website: http://www.dreamscopeproduction.com/
"Is there the opportunity for a pop music student to collaborate with a classical music student?": YES!! As I mentioned before. Middlesex University are big on collaboration. Popular music students, Classical students, Jazz students, and Music Business students are constantly collaborating through performances and events. You will even share some classes with these students. The music department is a close knit community. The lecturers and students act as a family - always helping and supporting one another which creates this alluring creative environment for students to grow and develop themselves professionally. Not only do the various music degrees collaborate, but other courses in media and performing arts collaborate too. We have had students collaborate with dancers, film students, fashion, graphic design - you name. The opportunities are endless. You will find a passion for something you never knew you even cared about before!
"How about rehearsal rooms?": Our new facilities include a concert hall, music production suites, state-of-the-art soundproofed practice rooms which all have a piano and amps. There are some big enough for groups/bands and good enough for single use. Don't forget the recording studios - with technicians and sound engineers on hand to support you!
"How is the percentage of practical and theoretical studies?": I cannot tell you the exact percentage, but actually a it is very varied from module to module. As well as performing, practising and working on projects, both alone and in a group, you will learn through interactive lectures, creative workshops, seminars, tutorials, visits, class discussions and your own study. You assessment includes putting together portfolios of songs and creative work. You will be assessed on live and recorded performances, creative journals, essays, reports and presentations. You may even include work experience as part of you assessment which of course is a very practical aspect to the course.
"Are there bursaries and scholarships for a foreigner student? How about rehearsal rooms?": This honestly is not my expertise, but there are bursaries and scholarships available for foreign students. If you look at the link I am posting here, it should give you all the information you need. If you have any more questions, please do ask! http://www.mdx.ac.uk/courses/scholarships-and-bursaries
"Is this course more focused on the history of music and the study of famous musicians and their music or is it more focused on the development of the artist identity's itself": The course incorporates both aspects. In the first year, they concentrate on both, different genres, as well as how the music industry actually works. It is important to understand the history, different music cultures and the music industry in order for one musician to develop their identity as an artist. As you progress in 2nd and 3rd year, students are given many more options in their modules. So, if for example you have a keen interest in the history of music and so on, you can pick the modules most suited to that, and pick the more theoretical modules. On the other hand, if you are keen to focus on yourself as an artist, you can prick song writing, recording, performance and those more practical modules. This degree is very accommodating for the different goals and needs of students. In 3rd year students have the opportunity to take on an Independent project, which can vary from being very theoretical and something like a dissertation, or it can be very practical such as releasing an EP. Specific aims will vary depending on the nature of the project. It is really what you make of it!

So, finally I will get back to your very first question. The million dollar question."Why should I choose MDX and not the other universities in London?":
Well, Middlesex University has such a diverse and creative environment. There are so many nationalities at our university. Even making friends with people is n educational experience as you learn about the different cultures and music from their countries. There are endless amount of opportunities to perform, get work experience and grow as a student, person and artist. Collaborating with other artists, or other art forms can be so educational, fun and a great way to make contacts. The support is endless at Middlesex. The academic staff are amazing, they constantly push you to do better and reach past your goals. There are even different schemes in place such as Student Learning Assistants, where students in your degree that are in the years above you help facilitate your learning and experiences while studying. These students are super friendly (I am one of them) and great to go to if you do not want to bother your lecturer. Middlesex University is right beside Camden - the heart of London. Camden has a great music scene and so many amazing venues to perform at! There are also many opportunities for students to further their stuies through a masters degree if they feel so inclined.
Honestly, the main reason, and probably the most important reason I believe Middlesex Univerity is so great, and the Music department in particular, is because they provide students with so much experience throughout their 3 years studying at Middlesex, that music students build a great portfolio and CV. Students become so independent, knowledgeable, experienced and have developed so many skills, that by the time they graduate, they have already transitioned so well into the working world of employment! And that is the main reason most of us go to university. To get employed!

I hope this helps, Alessandro. If you have any more questions, please ask. I am always delighted to to speak with prospective students.

Mary,
Music.
My week - 19th May 2016

The beginning of the summer holidays has been great. At times, I am still in study mode, but I definitely am starting to unwind. Being at home in Ireland seeing my family has been amazing. I also know a lot of musicians here so I have had the chance to meet with them, play some music and even record some videos. I cannot remember the last time I had played music with all of my friends.

In 3rd year, students have the option of picking 'Major 'Project' as one of their modules. Now, this module is actually worth two modules, so in fact it is worth half of your 3rd year! Scary eh? Well, I have decided to take on this challenge and create a two day music festival somewhere in Ireland. In order to prepare for it, I am using my time in Ireland to make some contacts, meet some musicians, and probably book a venue! There is too much to organise or even think about, so I need to gather a group of reliable, enthusiastic and driven people to work in my team. I definitely cannot carry out this project alone.

I am extremely scared to work on this project, yet a part of me is excited. This will be the first project for me to create on my own. I can let my imagination do the wandering while my gut will make the decisions! I cannot even imagine the opportunities that will arise if the festival is a success. I am hoping I can turn it into a yearly event with the room for expansion.

What do you guys know about festivals and what makes one a success? I am sure a few of you have some experience in this area!

Mary,
Music.
mam I wanted to know the difference between BA in popular music and BMus in popular music also which university is reliable and cheap ? I am coming from india and I want to come on affrodable prices

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending