The Student Room Group
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London

Midwifery - Course Ambassador Q&A

Hiya, my name is Tahi, I am the Midwifery Course Ambassador for MDX, and I am currently in my second year of my BSc Midwifery course. Feel free to ask me any questions about being a student Midwife with MDX and I will do my best to either answer them or find the person who can help.

Tahi
Middlesex Course Ambassador
Midwifery

Scroll to see replies

Hello Tahi,

My name is Annie and I have applied for BSc Midwifery starting in September. I have two children so I am very interested in what a midwifery student's timetable would be like. I know it is hard to give an exact timetable as it depends on your placement but if you could give me a rough idea of what your schedule was like as a first year student? I would be very grateful.

Thank you

Annie
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London
Reply 2
Original post by Anniestone90
Hello Tahi,

My name is Annie and I have applied for BSc Midwifery starting in September. I have two children so I am very interested in what a midwifery student's timetable would be like. I know it is hard to give an exact timetable as it depends on your placement but if you could give me a rough idea of what your schedule was like as a first year student? I would be very grateful.

Thank you

Annie

Hi Annie,

Sorry if I keep you waiting.

The timetable in all years is equally split between placement and teaching. At MDX you will generally have alternating blocks of 6 weeks of teaching and 6 weeks of placement.

The year group tends to be divided into 2 "streams", each will start in teaching together, and then the stream go into placement a few weeks apart, so one group may not have a full 6 weeks of teaching at the start, but this will be made up by the end of the year.

When in teaching, lectures tend to be 4 days a week, with one day of self directed study, though it is possible to have a 5 day week. Lectures start at 9am and will run till about 4pm with a 1 hour lunch break.

When in placement, students follow the timetable of their midwife mentor, and should be averaging 37.5 hours per week. That generally translates to 3 weeks of 3 long shifts (7:30 to 8:00), and 1 week of 4 long shifts, over a 4 week period. Though 1 week of 5 short shifts (9:00 to 5:00) is 37.5 hours. These shifts can be any day of the week, and can be day or night.

There's 5 weeks of holiday per year, with 2 weeks at Christmas, 2 weeks at Easter, and 3 weeks in the summer. There are also 3 reading weeks per year, though the timings of these are fluid and it is possible to be asked into university during this time.

Hope this answers your question, please don't hesitate to ask me if you need any clarification.

Can't wait to see you in September!

Tahi
Midwifery
Thank you, this was very helpful!
Reply 4
Hi Tahi

my name is patricia and i have a conditional offer which i have firmed at Middlesex

just a few questions. Do we choose which hospital we go for placement?
and when is pre induction days held?
whats the first few weeks in uni like?

im so excited
Reply 5
Original post by psampson2
Hi Tahi

my name is patricia and i have a conditional offer which i have firmed at Middlesex

just a few questions. Do we choose which hospital we go for placement?
and when is pre induction days held?
whats the first few weeks in uni like?

im so excited

Hi Patricia, love the enthusiasm!

I'm going to have to double check the details, but in answer to your questions:

1. You can specify which of the hospitals that MDX is linked with that you would like to go to but the University ultimately has the final say on which hospital you will be allocated to. This is because certain hospitals can only take a limited amount of students. The University will do their best to make sure that as many people get their preference as possible, and that people are all traveling the same sort of distance.

2. The pre-induction days are held on the 14th of May and 18th of June, though you would get told which one you specifically are going to.

3. The first few weeks of a Midwifery course are a little unique in the fact that we kinda rule the school for a few weeks, this is mainly because the other subjects tend to start a few weeks late so for that first little bit most of the other students you will meet will be either midwives or nurses.

Teaching wise, the first few weeks will ease you into University life and Midwifery as a whole: you'll have a lot of introduction lessons and you'll learn some of the basics as well as the build the foundations for some of the essential skills that you'll begin to develop.

Hope this helped, feel free to ask me to explain anything that doesn't make sense.

Can't wait to see you on the pre-induction!

Tahi
Midwifery
Reply 6
Midwifery FAQ

I thought I'd try and get a little more discussion going and post some FAQs that I have been asked IRL. This list may be updated as I get more information, and I will try to avoid any finance questions until the final bursary decisions have gone through.
Feel free to add anymore questions you'd like answered!

1. What is the timetable like?
The course is 45 weeks of the year, with alternating 6 week (approximately) blocks of study at the uni and placement at the hospital. There's are fortnight breaks at Christmas and Easter and a 3 week break in the summer.
With both study and placement you will be expected to work a full work week (about 37.5 hours).

2. Can I choose which hospital I have placement in?
MDX has links with 5 placement hospitals and you will get a chance to tell MDX about your hospital preference but you may not get the hospital you choose.

3. What wilI need to get in?
The MDX page explains the entry requirements with a lot more detail than I ever could: Midwifery page.
Beyond the grades, MDX also requires you to have some work experience within the field, evidence that you have studied within the past 5 years, and be able to pass a DBS check and occupational health check.

4. What is a DBS and Occupational health check?
A DBS is a criminal record check. The university will pay for the check, and you will need to provide 2 pieces of valid ID for them to perform it.
An Occupational Health check is a blood test that checks you for immunity to common illnesses, after which you may need to be vaccinated. You will also need to provide a form, supplied by the University, that has been filled in by your GP.

5. Can I have a job whilst on the course?
MDX advises that you work no more than 4 hours during study time and not at all during placement, however it all depends on what you think you can handle. The course is full time, and the learning tends to be intense, meaning that it is possible to burn out if you’re over loaded.
I’ve found that working as a course ambassador works very well for me because the work is very flexible, and beyond the basic work that I have to complete every week, the amount of work I do is never more than I can manage. Also, my bosses understand that I am a student first and a course ambassador second and will never ask me to prioritize my work over my studies, which can be hard to find from an employer.

6. Will I be expected to work nights / weekends/ holidays?
With the exception of you pre-set annual leave (Christmas, Easter, summer), if you placement falls on a school or bank holiday you will be expected to work the shift you have been assigned.
In the case of weekends and nights, it depends on the timetable of your mentor as you will be expected to follow the shifts she does, so if she works nights or weekends you will be expected to too.

7. How soon do you start delivering babies?
You will need to have witnessed between 5 and 10 births, and at first you will mainly be supporting your mentor with births. You will never be left alone with a woman who is giving birth, and you will be supported by your mentor. Generally, most students will start to help with deliveries within thesecond half of their first year.

8. What do you wear?
MDX will supply you with 3 uniforms consisting of a tunic and trousers, these will generally be worn in antenatal clinic, and on the antenatal / postnatal wards.
When on Labour Ward, the hospital will supply you with scrubs, and whilst working in Community or on the Birth center you wear smart casual clothing, preferably something easy to clean.

9. Do I need to buy all the books on the reading list?
Not all, a lot of the reading materials for the course are on a digital format and you will have access to them as soon as you start the course. Also, almost all of the books required for the course can be found inthe University library.
That said, some books, such as a Midwifery pocket dictionary and nursing / midwifery drug calculation books, are invaluable and it is well worth having a copy of your own. Your tutors will suggest the best ones to get.

10. Is there anything I need to buy for the course?
During study you will need general study material, such as notepads and pens. I would suggest getting a diary too, for writing timetables, homework and reflections.
For placement, I would suggest investing in a comfortable pair of wipe clean / waterproof, closed toed shoes I would suggest black as it is hard to stain.
Also, it is always good to have a nurses’ watch, you can pick these up pretty cheaply from eBay. Other things that are useful are a pocket notebook, for noting down anything you don’t understand, black pens, and a water bottle.

Again, this is a very general list, with very general answers,so if you have an specific questions don’t be afraid to ask.

Tahi
Midwifery

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Diary 18.01.16 24.01.16

To get an insight into what life is like for a real student, I've been asked to write a weekly blog about my experiences. The only slight problem with that is I am currently on placement, which means that I still have to work out just what I can say before I break confidentiality. Until I work out just what I can and can’t say, I’m simply going to write about my general experiences as a midwifery student.

During this week the thing I’d most noticed was the progression I’ve made between first and second year. When I started first year,I knew nothing, and that was okay. Right at the beginning nobody really expected me to know anything, and as long as I could safely follow instructions, I was doing well. As the year progressed, it was expected that I learnt the basic skills and if a plan was laid out for me to follow, I would at least have a general idea of why I was doing what I was doing.

The expectation mounts in the second year, though. I’m nowhere near being an independent practitioner just yet, but I am expected to be able to plan basic care, and have an understanding of the trust policies that underpin everything we do. That said, I am still amazed at the knowledge that I do have, and how now the basic skills are becoming instinct, instead of a learnt routine.

I still have a long way to go, I’m only half way through my training after all, but I do feel a mild sense of pride when I feel like I’m getting things right, and getting things done.

Stay tuned for next week, when hopefully I’d have worked out my exact limitations, and may be able to give you a sneak peek into the world of placement!

Tahi
Midwifery

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Hi I've been offered an interview for the 18 month midwifery course (I'm a qualified nurse). Any suggestions as to what I can research so best help me at interview. Thanks in advance.
Reply 9
Original post by Vikki1980
Hi I've been offered an interview for the 18 month midwifery course (I'm a qualified nurse). Any suggestions as to what I can research so best help me at interview. Thanks in advance.

Hiya Vikki, sorry for the delay in this response.

Firstly I'd like to congratulate you on getting an interview!

When it comes to research, I'd suggest that you look into recent midwifery news, to get an idea of the current maternity environment. Really good places to look at The British Journal of Midwifery or The Royal College of Midwives.

There is no one subject that I'd say you should look at, just try and get a flavour of what people are feeling. That said, there are certain topics that we will always be debating, such as Breast vs. Bottle feeding, types of pain relief, and modes of delivery, it's always a good idea to at least have a look at this.

I know that this may sound like a vague answer, but as you probably well know from Nursing, Midwifery practice is constantly being updated through evidence based practice, meaning that the research is constantly being updated too.

Also, remember: no one is expecting you the be an expert just yet!

I hope this helped, please message me if anything is unclear.

Tahi
Midwifery
Diary 25.01.16 - 31.01.16

Week two of placement, and I'm with the Community Midwives this week. Community Midwifery has always bee interesting to me because it covers the whole continuum of Midwifery, starting right from that first booking meeting, through antenatal clinics, and postnatal visits, and sometimes, if needed, attending births, either supporting the Midwives on the Birth Centre or looking after women at home births.

I must admit, it's always a bit of an adjustment when I go onto Community when I've been anywhere else: unlike many other areas of Maternity, that have uniforms and 12 hours shifts, Community has no has no standard uniform - though it is expected that we wear smart casual clothing - and the shifts are 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, 5 days a week. Considering even before I joined the course it was very rare for me to follow this pattern - I worked it retail - it always feels strange to work such 'normal' hours. Of course, in accordance with Sod's Law, I'd have just gotten used to this pattern by the time I go back onto long shifts!

One unique feature of Community is being 'On Call', this effectively means that a team of Midwives is on stand-by 24/7 to either support the Midwives on the Birth Centre, should they need it, or to attend both planned and unplanned home births. I must admit, Hospital dramas tend not to show all the nerve racking waiting that comes with a real night on call, something that I got to experience on my first night on call last week. That said, when I was finally called out, I may have been humming the Casualty theme tune to myself. Not wholly professional, I know, but there is something about driving at night on an empty motorway towards a homebirth that is a little bit exciting!

Tune in next week for more Community work!

Tahi
Midwifery
Hi Tahi, can you tell me which the placement hospitals are please?
Original post by kelz8241
Hi Tahi, can you tell me which the placement hospitals are please?

Hiya Kelz, the five placement hospitals for Middlesex university are Barnet and Chase farm hospitals ( they form one Trust), The Royal free (Also linked with Barnet but the placements are seperate), Whipps Cross, North Middlesex, and The Whittington.

Hope this helps,

Tahi
Midwifery
Hey Tahi, I've been offered a conditional offer from MDX for September 16' and I am really excited!

I wanted to know what sort of support you get as a midwife student from midwifery lecturers, personal tutors etc? Also, are you assigned to the same personal tutor for the whole 3 years and is the personal tutor in the case of a midwifery student, a midwife?

Thanks so much!!
Original post by Mahfuja123
Hey Tahi, I've been offered a conditional offer from MDX for September 16' and I am really excited!

I wanted to know what sort of support you get as a midwife student from midwifery lecturers, personal tutors etc? Also, are you assigned to the same personal tutor for the whole 3 years and is the personal tutor in the case of a midwifery student, a midwife?

Thanks so much!!

Hiya Mahfuja!

Thank you for your question and well done on your offer!

As to the support: Unless there's some sort of issue, you will have the same tutor for the whole time that you attend Middlesex University.

Your tutor will be a Midwifery lecturer within the university, and whilst they may not currently be practicing a Midwife, they would have been trained and practiced as one before becoming a lecturer.

You will have 2 obligatory meetings with your link tutor, these meetings will be to go over you Practice Assessment Documents, but you can also use this time to talk to your tutor about any thoughts or concerns you have about the course.

If needed, it is possible to organise more frequent meetings, but if you just need a quick question answered you will be able to contact them either by phone during office hours or by email - generally preferred.

I hope this answers your question.

Tahi
Midwifery
Original post by Tahi at MDX
Hiya Mahfuja!

As to the support: Unless there's some sort of issue, you will have the same tutor for the whole time that you attend Middlesex University.

Your tutor will be a Midwifery lecturer within the university, and whilst they may not currently be practicing a Midwife, they would have been trained and practiced as one before becoming a lecturer.

You will have 2 obligatory meetings with your link tutor, these meetings will be to go over you Practice Assessment Documents, but you can also use this time to talk to your tutor about any thoughts or concerns you have about the course.

If needed, it is possible to organise more frequent meetings, but if you just need a quick question answered you will be able to contact them either by phone during office hours or by email - generally preferred.

Tahi
Midwifery

Original post by Tahi at MDX
Hiya Mahfuja!

Tahi
Midwifery

Thank you, yes it did answer my question.
Also, another question is do you feel that Middlesex University offers you enough? As a midwife student do you feel Middlesex support you enough you, resources, lectures being useful?
Sorry for all these questions, I just want a view from your perspective as a midwife student as I've heard a lot about the university itself but from those who have not been students there.
Thanks in advance
Original post by Mahfuja123
Thank you, yes it did answer my question.
Also, another question is do you feel that Middlesex University offers you enough? As a midwife student do you feel Middlesex support you enough you, resources, lectures being useful?
Sorry for all these questions, I just want a view from your perspective as a midwife student as I've heard a lot about the university itself but from those who have not been students there.
Thanks in advance

Hey again,

I'm sorry that I didn't answer this question sooner on here, but I do feel that I get good support in Midwifery both in lessons and during placement, and this is backed up by relevant and useful lectures, and excellent resources.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you want :-)

Tahi
Midwifery
Diary 01.02.16 - 07.02.16

I must admit, I've had a bit of an interesting week this week, I'm still with the Community Midwives, and still trying to get my head around a 9 to 5, but I feel much more that I've gotten into the swing of it now. That said, with the exception of getting to meet lots of mothers - both new and expectant - this week has followed pretty much the same structure as last week, with a balance of antenatal clinics and postnatal visits.

This weekend, some of you may have had the chance to hear my wondrous (well ... stupidly posh and a little high pitched) voice, as I was given the task to call a group of our fab new prospective students and ask if they had any questions about the course. It was great to actually connect with some of you and to get your feelings about the course, as well as alleviate some of the fears and worries that you had. Some of the other Course Ambassadors were kind enough to help me out, so some of you may have been saved from my voice, but I hope that we managed to talk to as many of you as we could. That said, our time (and credit ...) is a little limited, so I apologies to anyone who has yet to receive a call, we're working through the list as hard as we can.

As I'm still not too sure what I can't and can't say re: confidentiality, this week I'd like to talk about the amazing level of trust I receive as a student midwife. Both on placement and during my phone calls with you lot this week, I came to realise that my title of student midwife actually carries a lot of weight: I have been invited into people's home with nothing more than a Midwife, an ID badge, and a black pen. Granted, one of those things is much more important than the rest, but the point still stands, I am trusted to enter into the most private parts of women's lives and not only that but I get to help them and to hopefully have a positive influence on their life.

I was granted a little bit of that trust when was calling people this week: My number doesn't flash up with MDX Midwifery on people's phones, and yet as soon as I explained who I was, people opened up to me, they asked me questions, they asked for reassurance. It was actually a little scary, simple because I often don't think about how much I actually do know about this course, and some of your questions really did put that knowledge to the test, but I can say that I did the best I can, and I hope that the people I called feel the same way.

Not too sure what I'll be writing about next week, but feel free to drop me a message and I hope I'll be able to answer!

Tahi
Midwifery
Diary 08.02.16 to 14.02.16

Apologies for the late post, I've had a bit of a mad weekend!

I thought I'd write a little more about my personal life this week. I had 2 days off the week, Tuesday and Friday, and I spent both of those days looking after my sister, who unfortunately came down with bit of a bug. It's really, really weird, because I was trying to look after someone I love without slipping too much into "clinical" mode. I managed to avoid trying to do 4 hourly obs but I did find myself subconsciously counting how often she was breathing.

The reason this weekend was a little mad was because I had a shift with Community on Sunday. I was on call and that meant that once my standard shift ended, I spent a whole evening watching my phone like a hawk.

I spent Saturday at the University Open day, where I got to finally meet some of you face to face! It was really good to finally meet some of the people that I had spent my weeks talking to. It was great to see your enthusiasm and trust me, I really ddn't mind answering your questions.

I must admit, I did miss having a weekend but when your work is this rewarding, you don't begrudge it.

Tahi
Middlesex course ambassador
Midwifery
Diary 15.02.16 - 21.02.16

Still on placement, working in the MDU (Midwifery Day Unit) this week. I must admit, the MDU is a bit of a change of pace from Community: For one, I'm back to doing long shifts - and back in my snazzy uniform - and secondly, I'm back in a more formally clinical area. It's been a good week, and I've had a chance to work on how I set up and interpret CTG (Cardiotocography) monitoring. CTG monitoring is one of the ways in which medical professionals assess the well being of unborn babies, and being able to correctly interpret the readings of a CTG is a vital skill for any Midwife.

I also got to work on my abdominal palpation - feeling a pregnant woman's abdomen to work out the position of the baby. I must admit I still need practice on this: I can generally work out the position that baby's in but sometimes babies will confuse me, and I can't always work out how engaged a baby's head is in their mother's pelvis. That said, I did get a lot of practice, meaning I am feeling more confident with this.

This week was also the week that I finally got to see Deadpool, which I watched with my sister. If you like superhero films I seriously can not recommend this film enough, but be warned, it's a 15 for a reason, and it is definitely not for children. That said, it was a great bonding experience for me and my sister, because whilst I do love a good superhero film, she's not into them as much. Not that you'd believe that if you saw us walking out, I think she was basically as excited by it as I was!

Last week of placement next week, and then it's back into lectures, where I should hopefully be able to write more detailed blogs!

Stay tuned,

Tahi
Midwifery

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending