The Student Room Group

An curious question on the Offer acceptance rate at Cambridge

I just checked the statistics,
The apply-offer rate for my course is about 1/3 and the offer-acceptance rate is about 1/3 too.
I'm just curious as why the offer-acceptance rate is so low as the requirement A*A*A is not hard to meet at all?
STEP offers mate. STEP offers. (if you're looking at a math/eng/natsci course)
Reply 2
Original post by Jayd Shah
STEP offers mate. STEP offers. (if you're looking at a math/eng/natsci course)

Hmm actually not. Computer Science doesn't require STEP normally.
oooh. then i have no idea tbh, A*AA isn't even that high?
Reply 4
Original post by zicong1998
Hmm actually not. Computer Science doesn't require STEP normally.

Some people take Compsci with the maths option, requiring them to sit STEP - pulling the offer-acceptances rate down.
Original post by Zacken
Some people take Compsci with the maths option, requiring them to sit STEP - pulling the offer-acceptances rate down.

You wouldnt expect it to pull it down that low though, since only a fraction of those taking compsci end up taking compsci with maths ; and then only another fraction of those end up missing their step offers
I can't imagine it would be enough to drop it to a third
Reply 6
Original post by imsoanonymous123
You wouldnt expect it to pull it down that low though, since only a fraction of those taking compsci end up taking compsci with maths ; and then only another fraction of those end up missing their step offers
I can't imagine it would be enough to drop it to a third

A significant proportion do apply to CS w/Maths - therefore STEP is enough to drag down the overall Acceptance rate to 78%. Compare it to the NatSci rate of 90%. The extra 12 percentage points *is* STEP.

Screen Shot 2016-01-14 at 14.20.28.jpg

Tagging @zicong1998
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending