The Student Room Group

"If you beleive in equality then you're a feminist"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by keromedic
If it is indeed true that feminsts are simply those that believe in and strive for equality then those that want equality would be feminists. Similar to how those who believe in a God are theists.

The reason why your OP has a point is because feminism has other connotations besides simply wanting equality much like Christianity is belief in a specific deity.

No. If I believe in equality, then that's all it means, that I believe in equality. It is not a given that I must therefore be a feminist.

Yes, exactly, so what are we arguing about?
Original post by TheGuyReturns
No. If I believe in equality, then that's all it means, that I believe in equality. It is not a given that I must therefore be a feminist.

Yes, exactly, so what are we arguing about?

I wasn't aware that we were arguing :tongue:. I was just supplying a reason for the user's post and suggesting that it was fallacious as the current definition of feminism does not properly reflect current usage.
That's like saying if I believe in God then I must be a Christian. Feminism doesn't own the term equality.

Could any feminists on TSR explain to me why some feminists say this dumb **** please?

Well, that depends on whether "equality" means "all types of equality". If it does, then the thread statement is true as feminism ismostly interpreted as "gender equality" and thus is certainly a sub-set of equality. So a belief in all types of equality entails a belief in feminism. However, I am not sure if equality literally means "all types of equality" as "1=2" is a type of equality which I believe no one supports. So it all depends on the exact meaning of "equality". I think your example "if God then Christian" is incorrect. The equality-feminism relationship is a relationship of two sets where feminism is always sub-set of equality. However, the God-Christian relationship is different because religious beliefs are subjective and so is the definition of God. So if by God you mean "Christian God" then the God-Christian relationship is true but if you mean anything else then the relationship does not hold. Just like "equality" is interpreted differently by different people, so is "God" interpreted differently.
Original post by Charlotte10449
Attachment not found

did you seriously quote a definition from urbandictionary? :facepalm2:
Reply 24
Feminism is not really about equality.
That's like saying if I believe in God then I must be a Christian. Feminism doesn't own the term equality.

Could any feminists on TSR explain to me why some feminists say this dumb **** please?

HAHAHA you know feminists can't explain anything.

They're too busy thinking of their next false statistics.

Um, I'm sorry but there are much bigger feminist issues.

https://archive.is/GqZl3

The online harassment from the eggplant emoji is real and used by cissy white males to oppress and silence women, because patriarchy!
fs can i be on TSR without getting triggered every 60 seconds???
Reply 29
Original post by harinimnida

The online harassment from the eggplant emoji is real and used by cissy white males to oppress and silence women, because patriarchy!

I'm dying :rofl:
Original post by balanced
Third-wave feminism destroyed the old definition, they do not care about sexism against men, especially concerning domestic abuse or law.

Yeah that's me :rolleyes:
Original post by harinimnida

HAHAHAHAHA it's literally saying we're unable to consent to being sent eggplant emojis :')
Original post by UB5
Name me one thing that a man can do that a woman can not.

I believe in equality for women and men. What does that make me?
Original post by UB5
Name me one thing that a man can do that a woman can not.

Driving in Saudi Arabia!!!!
Not leaving the house without a man!!!
Theres so many things!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Original post by Habina786xx
Driving in Saudi Arabia!!!!
Not leaving the house without a man!!!
Theres so many things!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

We don't live in saudi arabia lmao
Reply 35