The Student Room Group

Frankenstein love and acceptance HELP

Mary Shelley: Frankenstein
Read the following extract from Chapter 15 and then answer the question that follows.
In this extract the monster decides to approach the cottage and the people who live there
for the first time.
Their happiness was not decreased by the absence of summer. They
loved, and sympathised with one another; and their joys, depending
on each other, were not interrupted by the casualties that took place
around them. The more I saw of them, the greater became my desire
to claim their protection and kindness; my heart yearned to be known
and loved by these amiable creatures: to see their sweet looks
directed towards me with affection was the utmost limit of my
ambition. I dared not think that they would turn them from me with
disdain and horror. The poor that stopped at their door were never
driven away. I asked, it is true, for greater treasures than a little food
or rest: I required kindness and sympathy; but I did not believe myself
utterly unworthy of it.
The winter advanced, and an entire revolution of the seasons had
taken place since I awoke into life. My attention, at this time, was
solely directed towards my plan of introducing myself into the cottage
of my protectors. I revolved many projects; but that on which I finally
fixed was, to enter the dwelling when the blind old man should be
alone. I had sagacity enough to discover that the unnatural
hideousness of my person was the chief object of horror with those
who had formerly beheld me. My voice, although harsh, had nothing
terrible in it; I thought, therefore, that if, in the absence of his children,
I could gain the good-will and mediation of the old De Lacey, I might,
by his means, be tolerated by my younger protectors.’
Starting with this extract, write about how Shelley presents the importance of love and
acceptance to society.
Write about:
how Shelley presents the monster’s need to be loved and accepted in this extract
how Shelley presents the importance of love and acceptance in the novel as a whole

Can anyone help urgently im stuck on what to write any ideas?
I'm not familiar with the book as I only studied Romeo and Juliet and To Kill A Mockingbird at GCSE but you could check out this link http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/english_literature/prosefrankenstein/
Original post by kandykissesxox
I'm not familiar with the book as I only studied Romeo and Juliet and To Kill A Mockingbird at GCSE but you could check out this link http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/english_literature/prosefrankenstein/

thanks and damnnn you are bufff holla me on insta or suttin
Original post by johnsmith100
thanks and damnnn you are bufff holla me on insta or suttin

Thanks but no thanks.
Original post by kandykissesxox
Thanks but no thanks.

thanks to u i cant concentrate i got a boner now
still active, need help with it. @Matrix123 pls
Original post by callum_20011
still active, need help with it. @Matrix123 pls

You need help with it? I'm afraid I didn't do Frankenstein but I'll read through the passage now and see if there's any way i can help. :smile:

What have you got so far?
Original post by Matrix123
You need help with it? I'm afraid I didn't do Frankenstein but I'll read through the passage now and see if there's any way i can help. :smile:

What have you got so far?

i havent got anything yet.....
@FemaleBo55 im currently doing this queston and idk what to write. pls help
Original post by callum_20011
@FemaleBo55 im currently doing this queston and idk what to write. pls help

I haven't done Frankenstein when I did my GCSEs unfortunately :frown:

But I'll try and help you :redface:
Have you brainstormed something yet then?
Original post by FemaleBo55
I haven't done Frankenstein when I did my GCSEs unfortunately :frown:

But I'll try and help you :redface:
Have you brainstormed something yet then?

yeah. i dont know how to put the together
Seems like you haven't studied the England either
I'm doing it for my A levels, you still need help?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Please help me with frankiestein plz
However, the monster’s violence and cruelty actually solidifies the way in which love factors into his choices in that it is the absence of love that emboldens the monster to commit murder. This is particularly significant in the relationship the monster has with De Lacey and his family. As the monster spends time studying the peasants’ social constructs, he becomes fascinated by the fact that “they loved, and sympathized with one another; and their joys depending on each other, were not interrupted by the casualties that took place around them” (Shelley 146). By learning the basic nature of human interaction, the monster’s obsession with the family quickly epitomizes the monster’s entire personal mission to this point in the story: to find love. “The more I saw of them,” he says “the greater became my desire to claim their protection and kindness; my heart yearned to be known and loved by these amiable creatures: to see their sweet looks directed towards me with affection was the utmost limit of my ambition” (Shelley 146-147). In fact, it is through witnessing the lives of De Lacey and his family that the monster begins to believe that he himself, despite his physical appearance and outrageous nature, is not unworthy of receiving sympathy and kindness, which is an attitude that is based in the constructs love
However, the monster’s violence and cruelty actually solidifies the way in which love factors into his choices in that it is the absence of love that emboldens the monster to commit murder. This is particularly significant in the relationship the monster has with De Lacey and his family. As the monster spends time studying the peasants’ social constructs, he becomes fascinated by the fact that “they loved, and sympathized with one another; and their joys depending on each other, were not interrupted by the casualties that took place around them” (Shelley 146). By learning the basic nature of human interaction, the monster’s obsession with the family quickly epitomizes the monster’s entire personal mission to this point in the story: to find love. “The more I saw of them,” he says “the greater became my desire to claim their protection and kindness; my heart yearned to be known and loved by these amiable creatures: to see their sweet looks directed towards me with affection was the utmost limit of my ambition” (Shelley 146-147). In fact, it is through witnessing the lives of De Lacey and his family that the monster begins to believe that he himself, despite his physical appearance and outrageous nature, is not unworthy of receiving sympathy and kindness, which is an attitude that is based in the constructs love
someone helpppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
How does I require kindness and sympathy show the monsters need to be loved and accepted

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending