The Student Room Group

Bedsit accomodation: neighbours constant guests

I live in a bedsit. The only shared facilities are the two bathrooms, and obviously communal areas, i.e. front door and hallway.

The guy next to me is driving me ****ing mad. For the 4th night in a row he has had people up, banging the door constantly, they chat until midnight; then start up again at 7AM. He is constantly slamming his door, and there have been numerous times I have woken up in the morning and been unable to use the shared facilities because HIS guests are using them.

Now this happened nearly a year ago, I texted the landlord and it stopped, at least for a while, and then it started up again but it was fairly infrequent so I let it slide.

But it has been itensifying since the festive period and by the sounds of it, he has at least 2 other people in there with him, so we are talking about 3 people in a single occupancy room.

It is seriously pissing me off, and I am getting really angry at the constant strangers, banging of the doors, the noise etc etc.The tenancy agreement quite clearly says "No overnight guests"; and whilst I am not gonna begrudge someone having their friends up, some basic common decency and courtesy would be appreciated; and I can't help but feel this is guy is absolutely abusing it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by apronedsamurai
x

Sounds like this is a HMO.

Contact the landlord and mention that there is a good chance he may be breaking his HMO licence by having a tenant who continually has additional people staying over (living there).

Aside from that, the old advice:

- Talk to your housemate
- Move
Reply 2
Original post by Reue
Sounds like this is a HMO.

Contact the landlord and mention that there is a good chance he may be breaking his HMO licence by having a tenant who continually has additional people staying over (living there).

Aside from that, the old advice:

- Talk to your housemate
- Move

Yes, it is a HMO as is all bedsit accomodation.

I don't feel like I should have to move: I am not breaking my lease or the law; so why I should I be "penalised"?

Moving is also fairly problematic, limited income, and as a benefit claimant most LL's don't want to know.
Reply 3
Yes, it is a HMO as is all bedsit accomodation.

Not all bedsits are HMOs, it depends on the number of tenants and whether the landlord also lives in the property.

I don't feel like I should have to move: I am not breaking my lease or the law; so why I should I be "penalised"?

Moving is also fairly problematic, limited income, and as a benefit claimant most LL's don't want to know.

Unfortunately your feelings are not really of consequence. If the landlord cannot/will not evict this other tenant than you are only left with the 2 options I listed.
Reply 4
Original post by Reue
Not all bedsits are HMOs, it depends on the number of tenants and whether the landlord also lives in the property.

Unfortunately your feelings are not really of consequence. If the landlord cannot/will not evict this other tenant than you are only left with the 2 options I listed.

No, I am telling you this, is specifically designated as a HMO property, because it is specified within the terms of my tenancy agreement, and also there is a HMO license in a public, easily visible space.

Would I be able to report the issue to the council with good standing in the event that the landlord does not/cannot help?
Reply 5
No, I am telling you this, is specifically designated as a HMO property, because it is specified within the terms of my tenancy agreement, and also there is a HMO license in a public, easily visible space.

Would I be able to report the issue to the council with good standing in the event that the landlord does not/cannot help?

I didn't say that your accommodation wasn't a HMO.. just that not all bedsits are HMOs. Nevermind..

You could report it directly to the council.
Reply 6
Original post by Reue
I didn't say that your accommodation wasn't a HMO.. just that not all bedsits are HMOs. Nevermind..

You could report it directly to the council.

Sorry, was just being precise, not "taking a tone."

Sorry if it seemed that way :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending