The Student Room Group

Revise Chemistry - Why are giant covalent structure solid at room temperature?

Scroll to see replies

Can you have intramolecular bonds in for example diamond. Wouldn't that require the diamond to be a molecule? Wouldn't that require you to know the molecular formula?
Reply 21
The formula for diamond is C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C...
Original post by defenestrated
Pretty sure OP is just trying to destroy everyone's chances at academic success
:frown:

pretty sure you're in year 11 and haven't gone in to this much detail yet.
Original post by richpanda
pretty sure you're in year 11 and haven't gone in to this much detail yet.

we did this in year 10
Reply 24
we did this in year 10

You should know it then lol
Original post by Awais_
You should know it then lol

I do
you're the one who said intermolecular instead of intramolecular :frown:
I actually really need to revise this for my chemistry exam on Tuesday😂 so thank you !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
I do
you're the one who said intermolecular instead of intramolecular :frown:

My bad, sorry! :-)
We can be friends now. :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by asdfghjklgcses
I actually really need to revise this for my chemistry exam on Tuesday😂 so thank you !

Posted from TSR Mobile

Chemistry wasn't hard, i did get a B with no revision at all.
Original post by Awais_
My bad, sorry! :-)
We can be friends now. :smile:

best friends 4eva
Original post by Awais_
Chemistry wasn't hard, i did get a B with no revision at all.

Yeah I agree it's quite easy!! Aiming for the *s tho😎😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why is it INTRAmolecular? I thought all state changes had to to with intermolecular forces such as vand der waals and stuff?

"When one of these substances melts or boils, it is these weak intermolecular forces that break, not the strong covalent bonds. At room temperature, simple molecular substances are gases, or liquids or solids with low melting and boiling points."
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 32
best friends 4eva

Yup! Haha :biggrin:
My only friend so far.

Original post by asdfghjklgcses
Yeah I agree it's quite easy!! Aiming for the *s tho😎😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, definitely. Especially since I want to take it for A-Levels.

Original post by Zain-A
Why is it INTRAmolecular? I thought all state changes had to to with intermolecular forces such as vand der waals and stuff?

"When one of these substances melts or boils, it is these weak intermolecular forces that break, not the strong covalent bonds. At room temperature, simple molecular substances are gases, or liquids or solids with low melting and boiling points."

What year are you in? :smile:
Original post by Awais_

What year are you in? :smile:

I'm in Scotland mate and I'm in my last year of high school (17 yrs old) doing Advanced Higher Chemistry which is basically somewhere near 1st year uni level/ Last year of A-Levels. I don't really know how the English system works.

Anyway I've always been taught that it was the intermolecular forces that affect m.p's and b.p's. Someone explain please.
Reply 34
Original post by Zain-A
I'm in Scotland mate and I'm in my last year of high school (17 yrs old) doing Advanced Higher Chemistry which is basically somewhere near 1st year uni level/ Last year of A-Levels. I don't really know how the English system works.

Anyway I've always been taught that it was the intermolecular forces that affect m.p's and b.p's. Someone explain please.

Wait, now I'm confused, lol.

In England it's like UP to Year 6 is primary school,
Years 7 - 11 is secondary school, year 9 , year 10 and year 11 are GCSE years and in Year 11 you sit your GCSE examinations and even in year 10 for some subjects.

After leaving secomdary school you apply for sixth form college or college to do A-Levels or a course, or even an apprenticeship at 16.
Original post by Awais_
Wait, now I'm confused, lol.

In England it's like UP to Year 6 is primary school,
Years 7 - 11 is secondary school, year 9 , year 10 and year 11 are GCSE years and in Year 11 you sit your GCSE examinations and even in year 10 for some subjects.

After leaving secomdary school you apply for sixth form college or college to do A-Levels or a course, or even an apprenticeship at 16.

Our secondary school or high school has six years in it. We sit out national 5 exams (equivalent to GCSE's) in our 4th year of high school. Those who don't sit nat 5's fr whatever reason/ aren't good enough for them yet get a national 4 qualification which has no exam just an assignment. We are around 15 years old in 4th year.

In our 5th year most of us who passed all our national 5's take normally 5 "higher" subjects to study. I took Maths, English, Chem, Bio and History and got 4A's and a B. It is these qualifications universities will look at when we apply. People who didn't do any nat 5s in 4th year can use this year to do some. Most of us are 16 yrs old around this time.

Then in 6th year (where I am now), If you did well in your highers last year, you cn advance to "Advanced Highers" which prepare you for uni and is like 1st year level of uni course work. You can also do more higher if you want to.

Also if you failed a higher in 5th year you can resit it in 6th year.

A higher is equivalent to an A-Level sort of, but we do it in one year. Hence we have Advanced Highers for really smart folk who did well in highers.

We have no sixth form colleges.

Quick Reply

Latest