The Student Room Group

Gap year speaking Spanish/French?

Hi :smile:
So basically I've decided on taking a gap year... September-April I'm working in a law firm but after that I'd really like to travel and use my Spanish/French skills- I'm doing doing both for A2 and will be doing Spanish at uni. Does anyone know of anything that would allow me to use my languages?
TIA :biggrin:
Try workaway.info.
You can do volunteer placements in France/Spain or French/Spanish speaking countries. You'll have to do a certain number of hours, but this is usually minimal and in return you'll get accommodation, free time and sometimes even pocket money.

The time you can stay at places varies and jobs can be anything from helping with gardening to looking after five year olds .

In return, you'll often find that your hosts can teach you the language, and there are often languages schools in the areas where you can improve your skills further. It's a very good idea, you get work experience along the way, and your language skills will definitely improve alongside travelling across any country you want to visit.
Possibly you might want to teach, give private lessons, become a language instructor or just do something like volunteering? There is a lot of choice depending on where you want to go.
I have looked into this as I am seriously thinking about deferring for a year and spending a year in France earning money and improving my skills (I also do French at A-level and love it). There are lots of programmes available online, like becoming an au pair, teaching, working in holiday destinations (e.g. ski chalets) where you will be able to use French as well as conversing with English guests. Just do some online research - there are so many programmes available out there. Some even involve the programme provider paying for you to do language lessons to improve your French language skills. I think it's definitely worth doing!
Original post by ellsholliver
I have looked into this as I am seriously thinking about deferring for a year and spending a year in France earning money and improving my skills (I also do French at A-level and love it). There are lots of programmes available online, like becoming an au pair, teaching, working in holiday destinations (e.g. ski chalets) where you will be able to use French as well as conversing with English guests. Just do some online research - there are so many programmes available out there. Some even involve the programme provider paying for you to do language lessons to improve your French language skills. I think it's definitely worth doing!

Very good advice here.
You might like to check out these jobs in France, there are some language ambassador positions which might appeal to you?

Quick Reply

Latest