The Student Room Group

Married Couple Student Finance?

I'm a full time student in my 2nd year and my wife is going to start HE in September.

Are we both entitled to full student finance each as none of us work, my wife is classified as disabled and we have 2 children that we will pay childcare for?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by SimonH1983
I'm a full time student in my 2nd year and my wife is going to start HE in September.

Are we both entitled to full student finance each as none of us work, my wife is classified as disabled and we have 2 children that we will pay childcare for?

Thanks

Yes, you will both get your own Student Finance. Your wife's entitlement will be calculated based on your combined household income, which will include your SF. However unless you have other sources of income, she'll qualify for the maximum SF Maintenance Loan. Use the official calculator to get an estimate of her entitlement:
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

If she applies for Disabled Students Allowance then she will get extra help with any issues her condition causes, which are specific to uni study. This will be in the form of equipment, facilities (e.g. extra exam time) and reimbursement of additional travel expenses, but will not give extra money.

I don't know if you'll qualify for extra for childcare - the calculator may give an indication.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending