The Student Room Group

Do young people in London care about the lack of affordable housing?

--
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Yea, got all my offers back but definitely not going to any London unis because the prices are too damn high. Housing situation in London is looking real bad atm. I live in London btw, but when I move out, i sure aint gonna stay here
Starting to look like no one in our generation will be able to afford a house at this rate.
We'll just have to see what the future holds
Well there are 3 options.

1) get a high paying job so that I can afford a nice place
2) suck it up and live in a cramped flat
3) go live somewhere cheap far from London.

Idk which route I will go down
I'm studying at a uni in London and the cost of housing is near the botyom of my list of reasons why I don't want to live in London when I graduate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RivalPlayer
Yeah, I've lived in London all my life and I'm looking to get out. I read somewhere that the average houseprice in London will reach a million by 2025.
I think the city will eventually be a place where only high earning white collar workers and wealthy foreigners reside. I don't see how the city will be able to maintain its diversity.

What's the main reason you don't want to live in London? The young people I've come across are obsessed with being a "Londoner" - even if that means living in cramped, shared households well into their adult lives.

Because it's a playground. As a student I absolutely love it because it's chaotic and there's always something going on/something to do. But going back to my home town is the only reason I can enjoy it. Living here on a permanent basis would be horrible because I would have no escape and all the negative things I can overlook now would dominate. For one, I don't like high rise buildings and crowds and living somewhere where you have no chance of getting to know your neighbours.

I was ready to leave my hometown when I started uni because I thought it was boring. Coming to London has made me realise that I actually love living in a town the size of my hometown and less city-like, I just wouldn't really want to live there :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JohnGreek
As a prospective student at UCL, I'm not too bothered about borrowing an extra grand or two a year to live in London if that means going to my dream uni, getting into all the societies there, and hopefully ending up in a relatively well-paid job that allows me to pay my loans back. I've seen and compared the inside of student halls and private flats in Oxford, Bristol and central London (indeed, I stayed in halls for my Oxford interview and at LPH on Talbot Square over the summer), and the difference between Oxford and London in particular was negigible, other than the fact that your accommodation tends to be further away from where your lectures are in London than at the other two.

Once I graduate, however, I think that I'll face an entirely different story. For now, it's 'kay.

Your accommodation for second year can be as close as you like, depending on what you're willing to compromise on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Or you could move out of London and be able to afford to buy a house.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Moonstruck16
Because it's a playground...

What zone do you live in?
Original post by RivalPlayer
Getting on the ladder is a pipedream for many young people yet in my experience they don't seem too bothered by it.
Council housing looks like it will become a thing of past, private rents are soaring and house prices are ridiculous and show no signs of stalling. And yet it feels like young people aren't bothered by any of it.
Why aren't people up in arms about it? London in particular, is slowly being cleansed and sold off to (more often than not) rich foreign millionares with spare cash to burn. It's clear that these new builds cropping up everywhere aren't aimed at the average earner and no one seems to care.
Are young people happy with the prospect of paying stupid amounts of money in rent for the rest of their lives with little security? How will you start a family? What will you do when you retire or if you cannot work?
Just get the feeling that the young people I've encountered aren't very bothered by this issue.

Thoughts?

Young people dont care because they're all too busy with instagram and snapchat to realise they're going to be renting wageslaves for the rest of their lives.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
Or you could move out of London and be able to afford to buy a house.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agree, the prices for real estate in UK are unbelievable. If I had some money , I'd buy something like http://phuket9.com/phuket-property-for-sale/vip-kata-condominium in exotic country and move out here :tongue:
Reply 11
Plenty of affordable housing in the UK.

I can't afford a riverside property right by the Thames in Mapledurham. Doesn't mean that I worried about it, I just went somewhere that I could afford.

If you're working a low paid job in London.. you can probably get that same low paid job elsewhere and be able to afford a house.
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
What zone do you live in?

I lived in Zone 1 in my first year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Moonstruck16
I lived in Zone 1 in my first year.

As I suspected. Most/all of the problems you cited in post 8 would melt away if you lived in zones 4-6, imho.

People (not necessarily you, just saying in general) shouldn't judge London based on the centre; it's not representative of the whole.
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
As I suspected. Most/all of the problems you cited in post 8 would melt away if you lived in zones 4-6, imho.

People (not necessarily you, just saying in general) shouldn't judge London based on the centre; it's not representative of the whole.

I live in Zone 4 this year. I would much rather live in Zone 2. The place where I live is so boring. It's cheap but there's no way I'd want to live here permanently.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reue
Plenty of affordable housing in the UK.

I can't afford a riverside property right by the Thames in Mapledurham. Doesn't mean that I worried about it, I just went somewhere that I could afford.

If you're working a low paid job in London.. you can probably get that same low paid job elsewhere and be able to afford a house.

The problem with this is that London will soon be bereft of lower paid service workers it relies on to keep the city moving..

Original post by Subrandom44
Young people dont care because they're all too busy with instagram and snapchat to realise they're going to be renting wageslaves for the rest of their lives.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which isn't that much time all things considered.. why not just have a bit of fun?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by rockrunride
The problem with this is that London will soon be bereft of lower paid service workers it relies on to keep the city moving..

That's not really a problem though. Supply and demand will force the wages up for those low paid workers in London.
Reply 17
There's an acceleration in Londoners in their late twenties/thirties leaving the city. Some move to commutable home counties (hertfordshire, essex etc) others to start afresh elsewhere (I'm personally surprised how affordable Manchester is compared to London)

One of the big reasons is the Londoncentricity of the UK; concentrating so much in a small region.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending