The Student Room Group

Move away to uni or not?

Hi guys, I have just applied for Aviation management at 5 university's and I have set my heart on Coventry (they've gave me a conditional offer). I just want to get people's opinions on moving away to University.
Also, my questions are.. How did you find it making friends at university if you moved away? Did you like living in halls (if you stayed there)? And would you recommend moving away? Add any other things that you may think are helpful!
I moved to a uni that was a half hour drive from home! its quite good, makes it easier to find friends I find as you can stick with some of your flatmates to start, halls are alright although can be loud which is annoying... I think moving away for uni is a good thing as it helps you grow up and is fun! but if you're nervous choosing a close to home or easy to get to uni might help (but don't just make your choice from that!) also chose accommodation you like you end up spending a lot of time there.. don't just go for cheap or looks nice, actually look at number in a flat, closeness to campus, how loud it would be, how easy to get food shopping in (trust me a 40 minute walk to Tesco isn't fun) and everyone else is in the exact same situation and will be worried to so its best just to get on with it!
Original post by Holliehannah
Hi guys, I have just applied for Aviation management at 5 university's and I have set my heart on Coventry (they've gave me a conditional offer). I just want to get people's opinions on moving away to University.
Also, my questions are.. How did you find it making friends at university if you moved away? Did you like living in halls (if you stayed there)? And would you recommend moving away? Add any other things that you may think are helpful!

Would I recommend moving away? Depends on what kind of experience you want at uni & how far away you live. If you want the typical uni experience of going on nights out, sleeping in til the last minute, flat parties then its going to be a lot easier if you live in halls. It can also make it easier to access the library, submit work & hang out when you have long breaks between lectures. That said if you want peace & quiet and your commute would be an hour or less then living at home might be the better option.
Reply 3

Hi, May I ask what your offer was. I am interested in this course for 2017.
many thanks

Hello :smile:
Moving away to university was the best thing I ever did. For me, before university, I personally felt as if I needed to move away. I was ready to have a certain amount of individuality and responsibility away from home. It was a fun and nerve-racking process.

I loved living in halls in my first year. It was a fantastic experience - there were good times and bad as you'd expect but the good outweighed the bad. Moving in day was a mixture of emotions - taking all of my stuff up was an interesting experience - I took three cars full of stuff (stuff later I realised I didn't need all of) and had my family and friends helping me. I made friends as I moved in, saw people I'd met on Facebook and chatted too. When everyone left, I had time to mingle between rooms and meet people which was lovely. Therefore, making friends was fairly easy if you're open to going room to room and introducing yourself. I'd definitely recommend moving away - i just felt as though it was right and went hand in hand with the university experience but I know people that didn't and they still had a good first year and made plenty of friends. Plan ahead what you want to take with you - then look at it like 100 times and ask yourself "do I really need this?" because the answer is usually no! Take a few home comforts, make the room your own and on moving in day take sweets and cakes and stuff and put them in the kitchen/common room with a note saying "help yourself, and don't be shy, come say hello I'm in room ***" - it's a good way to meet people!

Good luck!
P:s-smilie:: Don't feel pressured to stay in halls for the 'university experience' - you can still have that experience without living in halls. If you don't feel it's for you, don't push yourself too far out your comfort zone but at the same time, maybe give it a try!

Go seriously there are so many advantages benefits it's much easier to make friends early on and your academics may even be better.

What you want to know why?... Ok here goes:

1/ Social life is always going to be better if your in halls. Think about it bring back a girl is easy at home your parents may impose a curfew meaning you have get home at some time and leave events early not to mention getting the last train or bus back or the trap of going home and just staying there (the longer your commute the more likely this is)

2/ Cost it may workout more expensive (may not will) to commute for instance a cheap hall with wifi and bills included could cost around £100 a week a train ticket on main lines (let's take Southampton to Reading) cost me around £20 when I went home to visit off peak on a Friday it's more now train fares have gone up .

3/ I mentioned academics up the top for one thing commuting is tiring you may think oh and hour isn't too bad and once in a while it's not but it mounts up and if your tired you won't be able to concentrate on your lectures. Then there is your time table you might have really good days of say 4 lectures between 9-5 with an hour in between each or you may have days like my first year 9-7 or 8 1 hour for lunch on a day like that do you really want to commute but that's not the killer the killer for commuters is the looooong breaks when the oh I'll study mentality kicks in I mean yeah everyone study's but not for 9 straight hours if you treat it like a job (35-40 hours a week) you'll pass and do quite well in that situation (and yes I did have a 9 hour break in second year) having halls to study relax cower in a foetal position in really is a much better option.

One final point do you really want to spend 2 hours on a freezing platform in driving rain and wind in the dark when it's -2 but feels like -20 to go home didn't think so halls are better

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Hi, what other universities have you looked at for an aviation degree? I'm looking to do aviation management in 2017 and i've noticed there aren't many choices!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending