The Student Room Group

Buffer solution help

A CH3COOH/CH3COONa buffer containing 01M CH3COOH has pH of 4.742
(a) Determine conc of CH3COONa in this solution
what should I use in this question?
Reply 1
Wouldn't you need the Ka value of CH3COOH ?
Reply 2
You also need to know the Ka or pKa for ethanoic acid, which I'll bet is somewhere in the Q and you just haven't typed it. I'm also guessing that that is a 0.1 mol dm-3 solution, rather than 01 mol dm-3.

You're going to use the expression for Ka and one of the two that relates [H+] with pH.

How do you think you might start?

I'm also guessing that you're either American or have a pretty old teacher.
Reply 3
You can immediately work out the [H+] as you have the pH. Then using the Ka and concentration of the acid you can rearrange the formula for Ka to find the concentration of CH3COONa.
Unit 4 chemistry January 2016 buffer question?? I sat for it
Mine was 3.09 what was yours???
Original post by alavisteam
Unit 4 chemistry January 2016 buffer question?? I sat for it
Mine was 3.09 what was yours???

Mine was 0.602.. i had no had what to do after obtaining the moles in equilibrium. It was out of 5 marks and i hope i get at least 3 marks for calculating the moles at start and at equilibrium. How was Section C for u?
Section ç was easy
Overall i found the paper somewhat easy
expecting above 108 In Sha Allah
What about you??

Original post by Sandy_Vega30
Mine was 0.602.. i had no had what to do after obtaining the moles in equilibrium. It was out of 5 marks and i hope i get at least 3 marks for calculating the moles at start and at equilibrium. How was Section C for u?
Ka = [H+][Salt] / [Acid]

You need to rerrange the above to find out the concentration of the salt. You can find the concentration of H+ by antilogging the pH: [H+] = 10^(-pH)

You'll find these equations useful:

CH3COOH <--> CH3COO- + H+
High amount of CH3COOH

CH3COONa --> CH3COO- + Na+
High amount of CH3COO-
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
what i did was Ka=Buffer/[H][OH] and got a pH of 6.8
Reply 9
What about the last question ? Was it an ester? And how many peaks was it in the NMR?
Reply 10
What was the Ka value you were given?
Original post by mdfaiz99
What about the last question ? Was it an ester? And how many peaks was it in the NMR?

Ester, 2 peaks, both singlets. Peak ratio 3:9
Original post by alavisteam
Section ç was easy
Overall i found the paper somewhat easy
expecting above 108 In Sha Allah
What about you??

I didnt dind section C easy,.. i had little time to attempt it. What the heck was Z compound? I hope for an A. In Shah Allah. :smile:
Original post by jackien1
Ester, 2 peaks, both singlets. Peak ratio 3:9

What was the structure of the ester?
Reply 14
Ohhh thank you so much ....Melanin....from all people u have shown me the easiest and more understandable way Thank you again
Reply 15
So does is it mean that [CH3COONA] = [CH3COO-]?
Original post by shady2.0
So does is it mean that [CH3COONA] = [CH3COO-]?

Yes, as the salt CH3COONa, disassociates fully in solution.
Reply 17
Original post by Sandy_Vega30
What was the structure of the ester?

CH3COOC(CH3)3 I think it was Butylethanoate ( Tertiary alcohol with ethanoic acid)
I have attached a worked answer for this question. I hope this helps, and you could always check out my website www.scienceskool.co.uk for more help! :smile:

Have fun.

Alex

Answer Small.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest