The Student Room Group

Is gaining a pupillage really more competitive than securing a training contract?

Hello guys!

I have a question. I first became interested in law with a definite desire to become a barrister. However, upon starting University I was quickly deterred by the many exclamations of 'it's ridiculously competitive,' 'it's hard to get funding for BPTC,' 'it's a dying trade.'

I am now in my final year of University, having applied for vac schemes, training contracts, etc. But I get the feeling that my heart really lies with the bar, still.

My key question is:
Is gaining a pupillage at a high paying chambers significantly more competitive than gaining a TC at a London city law firm [silver circle type level?]

I am also wondering about my own specific chances. I have a couple of mini pupillages from a few years ago and more recently a couple of vac schemes at big commercial firms in London.

I am a third year Law student at KCL. My grade average is currently at 64%, I am hoping to shift this up to about 66% by the end of this year when I graduate. I have a CV saturated with extracurriculars to perhaps justify my earlier grades - [although much of this is part-time employment.]

So guys.... if I was to crack on with mini pupillages, what do you think my chances are?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending