The Student Room Group

Animation course application

I am applying for animation courses (undergraduate) this year, and i am in my 2nd year of A levels
https://www.behance.net/gallery/32535493/Portfolio-WIP
The above link is to my portfolio (90% complete) that i will be sending to the universities that i have applied for. I was wondering if any current animation (or related subject) students could give me some feedback on what to fix up ow what to add if its missing anything. Any help is appreciated, thank you.
Original post by behru
I am applying for animation courses (undergraduate) this year, and i am in my 2nd year of A levels
The above link is to my portfolio (90% complete) that i will be sending to the universities that i have applied for. I was wondering if any current animation (or related subject) students could give me some feedback on what to fix up ow what to add if its missing anything. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Hi Behru,

Best of luck with your applications! If you want to know what it's like to be an animation student, one of our Computer Animation Arts students made this comic strip about a day in her life. Thought it might be a fun read for you! What do you think?

Katie
Original post by behru

Hi Behru.

I am a third year animation student from Ravensbourne. It was great fun to take a look at your portfolio, and great to see your work and experimentation you did. This is vital to show in a portfolio, universities like to see you have engaged with different areas and your thought process.
To start with, your life drawing and techniques with pencil. There are a good variety there. You have also shown evidence of shading and light, which is very encouraging to see. I was very impressed by your experimentation and start in Zbrush, especially during your A levels. :smile:

I like how you have created a short synopsis,background to your character, starting with initial sketches, then refining it into a set character. Then creating a character model sheet with an expression sheet. You have also outlined your steps whilst modelling. Personally I feel you do not need to show that many steps towards your final outcome and allow it to speak for itself. :biggrin:

You are also aware that a high poly model that you have created cannot be animated which shows you have done your research and considered the step by step in your pipeline. One thing to consider is during an interview if they were to ask you how to resolve that issue? As typically modeled characters will be taken further into the rigging process and then animated :smile:

It is important as animators that we consider every factor and angle. Assets cannot be easily altered once you are in production so it is vital that everything is planned and thought out beforehand, often we have to deconstruct the pose into simple spheres and cubes and then reconstruct it once more to understand the build of it.So if you find yourself a little stuck, just go back to basics and gestures.

It will also be worth looking into the 12 principles of animation, which are principles that are always present in animations.
Click me!
Thank you for sharing, and I wish you the best!

Jay :biggrin:
Reply 3
Yo dude thanks for the reply, was really helpful :^) Do you think my portfolio is missing anything though?
Original post by behru
Yo dude thanks for the reply, was really helpful :^) Do you think my portfolio is missing anything though?

Personally I feel it was good and solid, you set out to create something you are passionate about, a character with story.

I think if you have the time just find a nice way to present your character and model, maybe a breakdown video? However I would say that is set how it is :smile:

Wish you the best of luck
Jay :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest