The Student Room Group

Where should i study abroad during my degree

Hi

I study chemical engineering and am intetested in studying abroad. Its between the UAE and USA ( new york / california). Whilst there i want to learn acting,mma etc. Which is best ?
Also im slightly worried about studying abroad because of having to settle in to a complete new envirent. Can you please give me some extra advice.

Thank you
Hasan
Original post by hasan6091
Hi

I study chemical engineering and am intetested in studying abroad. Its between the UAE and USA ( new york / california). Whilst there i want to learn acting,mma etc. Which is best ?
Also im slightly worried about studying abroad because of having to settle in to a complete new envirent. Can you please give me some extra advice.

Thank you
Hasan

Hello there!

Really happy to hear an engineer wants to study abroad!

I study aeronautical engineering and studied abroad to California for a year. I was right by LA which is famed for its acting, and I met loads of people out there who were into drama/music/acting/theatre.

I must say I'm rather biased towards California, it's an absolutely incredible place and lived up to all of my expectations and more. Any place can be great to study abroad to, just make sure you research host universities, you research the country, the cities, the people, the culture, the climate, research everything.

The so-called "Culture Shock" can happen when in a new country, but it passes. Studying abroad is a daunting experience but it's by far, for me and many of my friends, the best thing I've done at university. If you know what to expect then it'll make transitioning into a new place a lot easier.

I could go on and on about studying abroad, so please let us know if you have any other questions! :smile:

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering
Reply 2
Original post by Glasgow Uni
Hello there!

Really happy to hear an engineer wants to study abroad!

I study aeronautical engineering and studied abroad to California for a year. I was right by LA which is famed for its acting, and I met loads of people out there who were into drama/music/acting/theatre.

I must say I'm rather biased towards California, it's an absolutely incredible place and lived up to all of my expectations and more. Any place can be great to study abroad to, just make sure you research host universities, you research the country, the cities, the people, the culture, the climate, research everything.

The so-called "Culture Shock" can happen when in a new country, but it passes. Studying abroad is a daunting experience but it's by far, for me and many of my friends, the best thing I've done at university. If you know what to expect then it'll make transitioning into a new place a lot easier.

I could go on and on about studying abroad, so please let us know if you have any other questions! :smile:

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering

Hi
Thank you for your response, i have a few more questions.
1) what year did you go in(1/2/3 etc )
2) did you study any extra unrelated modules
3) are you still in touch with the acting people
4)how did you meet them and how did you make friends in general
5) what was your accomidation
The MMA in New York is a bit better, but the acting in LA is a bit better. I would go LA, though.
Hey!

1) what year did you go in(1/2/3 etc )

I went in my 3rd year. In Scotland, studying abroad in your 3rd year is pretty typical, but they also offer studying abroad to 2nd and 4th years, too.
It'll vary a lot depending on university, then depending on department and even depending on what course - best to check with your department directly.

2) did you study any extra unrelated modules

I did indeed!
One of the best things with studying in the US is you can effectively take as many classes as you wanted. I had all of my mandatory classes to satisfy my home university but I had room to add in a couple of extra classes. One was an introduction to learning Russian just because it was freely available to me. I also got a research position whilst at my host university.

3) are you still in touch with the acting people

I'm still in touch with loads of people from my year abroad!

4)how did you meet them and how did you make friends in general

I met people at my accommodation, events run by my accommodation or university, in my classes, in sports clubs, through other friends, etc, etc. When you get to your host university they'll almost definitely have an international orientation day or week. This way you'll meet a ton of local and international people straight away. It's quite like starting uni again but with more experience and help! :smile:

5) what was your accomidation

I decided to stay on-campus in a 2 bedroom apartment - it was incredibly nice but typically accommodation in California is a bit more expensive, so make sure you save up.
There are so many options for housing so you'll easily find something you'll like. Where I was, all the accommodation and nearby accommodation was for students at that university, set up sort of like a resort.

Let us know if you have any other questions! :smile:

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering
Reply 5
Original post by Glasgow Uni
Hey!

I went in my 3rd year. In Scotland, studying abroad in your 3rd year is pretty typical, but they also offer studying abroad to 2nd and 4th years, too.
It'll vary a lot depending on university, then depending on department and even depending on what course - best to check with your department directly.

I did indeed!
One of the best things with studying in the US is you can effectively take as many classes as you wanted. I had all of my mandatory classes to satisfy my home university but I had room to add in a couple of extra classes. One was an introduction to learning Russian just because it was freely available to me. I also got a research position whilst at my host university.

I'm still in touch with loads of people from my year abroad!

I met people at my accommodation, events run by my accommodation or university, in my classes, in sports clubs, through other friends, etc, etc. When you get to your host university they'll almost definitely have an international orientation day or week. This way you'll meet a ton of local and international people straight away. It's quite like starting uni again but with more experience and help! :smile:

I decided to stay on-campus in a 2 bedroom apartment - it was incredibly nice but typically accommodation in California is a bit more expensive, so make sure you save up.
There are so many options for housing so you'll easily find something you'll like. Where I was, all the accommodation and nearby accommodation was for students at that university, set up sort of like a resort.

Let us know if you have any other questions! :smile:

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering

Hi
How welcoming were they ? With my religion and cultural background would i find it easy to settle in. Can i get single accomidation
Hi
How welcoming were they ? With my religion and cultural background would i find it easy to settle in. Can i get single accomidation

They were incredibly welcoming. The US, and especially California, is incredibly diverse. You have people from countries and cultures from all around the world so everyone is welcomed.
You should find it pretty easy to find others from your own religion or cultural background.

As for accommodation, it's certainly possible to get single accommodation. It may be slightly more expensive, but the options are certainly there! :smile:

Hope this helps!

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering
Hi

Thank you
Hasan

Hey there @hasan6091! You should do that. I, too, am an engineering student. however, I'm planning on shifting to a different course. A business management course. And also I want to continue studying abroad.

Anyway, I cannot help you out giving unis that caters the extra curricular activities that you've mentioned however, Maybe I can give you a little help?

If you want to pursue chemical engineering, go to uae, but if you want those extra curricular activities, maybe US?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending