The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ♥Samantha♥
Thank you. I'm quite certain I am not going to apply to Oxford for Economics as it is the most competitive course across all of Oxbridge and Cambridge courses with acceptance rates usually ranging around 6-7% (it's ridiculous - even medicine with the 4th lowest acceptance is usually around 12%). Maths is 15% which is still low but at least it wouldn't feel like a waste of an application! It's so confusing because you are supposed to apply for what you want but I can't just ignore how competitive some courses are, I have to decide whether applying would be a waste of one of my UCAS choices. And whatever I apply for I'd have to apply for at all my other uni choices as I only get one personal statement. I just wish I had more time to decide what I wanna do. Tbh I think that the UK system forces us to know what we want to do to early. I am maybe considering Economics at Cambridge but I don't even know how I would write a PS because for the last year I assumed I was going to apply for Maths and hadn't thought about other options.

Social sciences all have stupendously low acceptance rates, due to the TSA's "have it or not" nature. Give a TSA a go, if you get a scaled score of 63 or above, you would be likely to get an interview, and therefore be in with a serious shot of getting in. If the TSA isn't so good, think of another course :smile:
Original post by Don Joiner
Does anyone know how much weighting Oxford put on AS grades for PPE?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

I mean, some. Basically they just need to be confident you can get the AAA offer which they will most likely give you.
I don't know if I'm in the right place since I'm applying for deferred entry (starting 2018), but yeah... I'm currently doing a BA degree in History at the University of Cambridge, applying for another BA in History and Politics at Oxford (I'll tailor the course so that I basically do politics/political philosophy in a historical context). I applied to Oxford back in 2013, got rejected after the interviews. Tried next year to Cambridge and got in.
Having experienced all that I must say that the interviews at Oxford compared to the ones I had at Cambridge were much different. Anyway, I've been through them once and these past 3 years gave me the confidence I lacked back in 2013. Most importantly, I know what went wrong three years ago so I know what not to do! :biggrin:
Does anyone know how much weighting Oxford put on AS grades for PPE?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

They take everything into consideration, but certainly won't put that much emphasis on AS grades, especially with the admissions test being a criteria for selection plus a whole lot of other things, low results at AS probably shouldn't be that big a matter to be concerned about.
Original post by leonardodv13
Dear tsr community,
I am an overseas student who is interested in applying for PPE in the autumn of 2016. Below I have listed the majority of activities that I have taken part in, (some minor and irrelevant ones such as participation in art expositions and piano have not been included):
-School volleyball team captain-Leos club president 2013-2014 and ongoing member
-Vice captain of green house 2015-2016
-Annual participation in the school choir and school shows ( some major roles)
-In the progress of completion of my Duke of Edinburgh gold medal award-School council and house rep. Years 7 to 11
-Cambridge certificate of proficiency in English ( top grade (A))
-Numerous LAMDA exams all passed with distinction
- GCSE grades: 8A*, 3A and 2B (awarded the prize for best GCSE results of 2015 in the school)
-Participated as delegate in the FAMUN 2016 (Model United Nations)
-1st language English, Spanish and Russia
- Co-creator of the school debating society.

Currently I am studying my A levels, this year taking the full Spanish A level, Russian AS, English Lit AS and Maths AS (also doing History but doing both AS and A2 exams next year. However, unfortunately this year, my Maths AS exams did not go very well, and I fear they will come out as a B (something I am very worried about, for I feel like I have lost all my chances of a successful application).
Therefore, I have the following questions for the tsr community:

Are my current achievements enough to apply?
If I do come out with a B at AS maths, would Oxford look down on a retake?
Can I leave maths as an AS and do another another A level in a year, and if so which would you recommend?
Thank you in advance for your feedback.

We are a bit confused how many A-levels you are studying to A2. Spanish and History look definites whereas it appears you have the option of going forward with Maths, English Lit, Russian or some combination of these.

The Maths result will depend on the mark boundaries and we would recommend biding your time but arranging to talk to your teachers about your best option. Bear in mind that not all applicants for PPE take Maths even to AS level so having studied the subject to the level you have is no disadvantage.

We only have your post to go on but you list quite a lot of commitments and should perhaps think about concentrating on key academic areas, supplementing these with leisure interests that you enjoy most. If you do take Maths to A2, you will need to spend time mastering the concepts and practising solving problems. Discuss with your academic advisors, but a possible plan is to prioritise Maths, develop super-curricular interests in the areas you plan to study at University, and scale back other extra-curricular activities.
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
We are a bit confused how many A-levels you are studying to A2. Spanish and History look definites whereas it appears you have the option of going forward with Maths, English Lit, Russian or some combination of these.

The Maths result will depend on the mark boundaries and we would recommend biding your time but arranging to talk to your teachers about your best option. Bear in mind that not all applicants for PPE take Maths even to AS level so having studied the subject to the level you have is no disadvantage.

We only have your post to go on but you list quite a lot of commitments and should perhaps think about concentrating on key academic areas, supplementing these with leisure interests that you enjoy most. If you do take Maths to A2, you will need to spend time mastering the concepts and practising solving problems. Discuss with your academic advisors, but a possible plan is to prioritise Maths, develop super-curricular interests in the areas you plan to study at University, and scale back other extra-curricular activities.

Thank you very much for your response :smile:. I am doing all of the subjects I have listed above to A2 (english lit and russian), and debating upon whether to continue with maths. Also, do you have any recommendations for the sort of super-curricular activities I could engage in?
(edited 7 years ago)
Would having 6 A*s, 5 As, 1 B and 1 C hinder my application for Law? My A level predicted grades are probably going to be A*A*A
10 A* at GCSE (A^ in F maths, but seems everyones got one!)
Maths, f maths, economics, gov and politics. Doing an extra AS in additional maths next year
Hopefully PPE
Some old fancy college
Play rugby, boxing, have recently started a blog
I would head straight to the off license and drink for the rest of the day
Did you do well in your GCSEs? 3A*, 6A, 2B - not the best for TSR standard, but my High School was below average with like a 55% pass rate in my year group
Which A Levels are you doing? French, Law, Medieval History (Crusades and Angevins), Theatre Studies and Classical Civilisation (home tutored.) Probably will be predicted A*A*A if all goes to plan(!)
Which course do you plan to apply for? Classics with French
Do any particular colleges interest you? Why? Oriel College, I was contacted by an outreach manager asking me to take part in one of the Classics and English days. I looked up the college and it seems right for me.
What are your hobbies? I volunteer at a theatre, at Christmas I am one of "Santa's helpers", volunteer at Rainbows (girl guiding), Classics is self-taught. I'm also going to be working in France this summer too and doing the Bar Mock competition for my college next year. (I would have loved to applied for Law at Oxford, but I can imagine that it would be far more competitive than something like Classics?)
If you were given a place next year, what would you do for the rest of the day? CRYYYYY.

Do they consider things that aren't grades? And would a B in an AS Level (Theatre Studies) hinder my application? Good luck y'all :smile:
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Would having 6 A*s, 5 As, 1 B and 1 C hinder my application for Law? My A level predicted grades are probably going to be A*A*A

Oxford's more interested in the entrance exams. I got 76 on my HAT and got an interview no problem (the tutor told me in private that they practically take anyone who gets above 50 for an interview) despite having a B on my AS History.
Do well on your LNAT and get those two A*s on your A-Levels and the GCSE's won't be a problem.
I got 3 A*s, 7As and a C at GCSE (the shame).
I'm studying maths, French, RE and Spanish at A level.
I hoping to apply for Modern Languages.
I love the look of Oriel and Merton colleges - a gym and wifi is all I need!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by foreignbloke
I don't know if I'm in the right place since I'm applying for deferred entry (starting 2018), but yeah... I'm currently doing a BA degree in History at the University of Cambridge, applying for another BA in History and Politics at Oxford (I'll tailor the course so that I basically do politics/political philosophy in a historical context). I applied to Oxford back in 2013, got rejected after the interviews. Tried next year to Cambridge and got in.
Having experienced all that I must say that the interviews at Oxford compared to the ones I had at Cambridge were much different. Anyway, I've been through them once and these past 3 years gave me the confidence I lacked back in 2013. Most importantly, I know what went wrong three years ago so I know what not to do! :biggrin:

Just make sure you are applying for the right course. A BA in History may give a good foundation for postgrad studies in the area you want to study in. This would be a more advanced qualification (MPhil/DPhil) than going and doing another BA. But if you're set on the course, then go for it! Good luck!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ozmo19
Just make sure you are applying for the right course. A BA in History may give a good foundation for postgrad studies in the area you want to study in. This would be a more advanced qualification (MPhil/DPhil) than going and doing another BA. But if you're set on the course, then go for it! Good luck!

Not keen on doing a Master's or Doctor's degree yet. Not even sure I want to. My dad has 3 BAs (sociology, psychology, criminal law) so it's not like you can only have one. Thanks anyway, I'm going to need it considering the application statistics! :smile:
Hi, anyone here going for PPE ? I was thinking of making a special PPE thread if there are lots?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do and there is another thread about PPE also :biggrin:
Original post by Pursing skiesss
I do and there is another thread about PPE also :biggrin:

Oh dope could you send me the link by any chance?

Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SampleX
I got 3 A*s, 7As and a C at GCSE (the shame).
I'm studying maths, French, RE and Spanish at A level.
I hoping to apply for Modern Languages.
I love the look of Oriel and Merton colleges - a gym and wifi is all I need!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Let me know if you have any Modern Languages questions - I don't know much about Oriel but the Spanish tutor at Merton is the nicest person in the world :smile:
Original post by such_a_lady
Let me know if you have any Modern Languages questions - I don't know much about Oriel but the Spanish tutor at Merton is the nicest person in the world :smile:

Thank you! Do you study Modern Languages at Oxford?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, anyone here going for PPE ? I was thinking of making a special PPE thread if there are lots?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There appears to be a PPE thread, but not a specific Oxford PPE thread.

Latest

Trending

Trending