The Student Room Group

Chemistry question

Write an equation to illustrate the thermal cracking of one molecule of tetradecane, C14H30 in which the products are ethene and propene in the ratio of 2:1 and one other product.

Can someone explain to me how to work these questions out, we haven't learnt them yet in class but I just want a little head start so when we do it would be like practise.

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Ann_Onymous
Write an equation to illustrate the thermal cracking of one molecule of tetradecane, C14H30 in which the products are ethene and propene in the ratio of 2:1 and one other product.

Can someone explain to me how to work these questions out, we haven't learnt them yet in class but I just want a little head start so when we do it would be like practise.

Thank you :smile:

Just write the balanced equation using the numbers you have been told to use and count up the atoms to see what is left! These make up the other product.
Original post by Abz98
Crackling is the breaking down of longer chained saturated (Carbon to Carbon Single bond) to Alkane or Alkenes. In this case, you are breaking down the Alkanse Tetradecane to the Alkenes Ethene and Propene.

Start with what you have been given. You know the the formula for an alkene is CnH2n - which is for Ethene - C2H4 and Propene C3H6.

Thereafter, you know that you want the ratio between Ethene and Propene to be 2:1, so there must be twice the moles of Ethene for every propene.

C14H30 divided by two makes C7H15, so if you did have 2 Ethenes and 1 propene, it does make up C7H15, so you know you need 4 Ethenes, and 2 Propenes!

You haven't read the question carefully. There are three products ...

Quick Reply

Latest