The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Track Apprenticeship Scheme 2016

Scroll to see replies

Completed my tests pretty much as soon as I was sent them a few days ago and wow, they were hard. Would definitely recommend looking over basic GCSE maths as I found the maths test very hard, 6 minutes isn't long enough.

Anyone else apply in the Liverpool area?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone reckon I have a chance if I didn't complete the maths and English questions? I took my time to make sure they were correct, but only got through about 3/4 of them :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just did the tests :/ i stupidly panicked and guessed most of the maths ones because i was running out of time :/ praying I still get invited to the assessment centre
does anyone know if it's the same test for every scheme? Because surely you'd need a higher maths score for the finance scheme?
Well the 6 minutes certainly goes by quickly...... reckon I answered about 2/3 of the questions in the verbal and numerical sections, reckon a good percentage of them were right but that could just be wishful thinking, thankfully the other two sections are nice and peaceful.
Original post by calrobbo
Completed my tests pretty much as soon as I was sent them a few days ago and wow, they were hard. Would definitely recommend looking over basic GCSE maths as I found the maths test very hard, 6 minutes isn't long enough.

Anyone else apply in the Liverpool area?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by alexfitzy
Anyone reckon I have a chance if I didn't complete the maths and English questions? I took my time to make sure they were correct, but only got through about 3/4 of them :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by capricious_em
Just did the tests :/ i stupidly panicked and guessed most of the maths ones because i was running out of time :/ praying I still get invited to the assessment centre

Original post by Robbo-92
Well the 6 minutes certainly goes by quickly...... reckon I answered about 2/3 of the questions in the verbal and numerical sections, reckon a good percentage of them were right but that could just be wishful thinking, thankfully the other two sections are nice and peaceful.

Hey guys
I'm practically in the same position as you, does anyone know when they will tell us the results and if we are getting to the assessment centre or not.
Original post by star80
Hey guys
I'm practically in the same position as you, does anyone know when they will tell us the results and if we are getting to the assessment centre or not.

I got an email saying 4-6 weeks after completing the tests, but if they get lots of applications I could imagine that time to be longer so who knows
Hi guys I'm preparing to do the online tests, I hear the maths ones are quickfire only 6 minutes allowed which seems really short. Are they simple calculations that just require you to do them quickly, and is a calculator worth using for them?

I'm doing some GCSE Maths revision as it's been many years since I did my GCSE's,I'm guessing the tests are more foundation GCSE level than higher (hope so anyway!).
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 68
Hi guys,

I am from london, I have applied for civil service fast track scheme on the 21st of march 2016,but I haven't received any email asking me to do a test/online-exam! really nervous, Is there anyone who may be in the same position as I am?

Good luck to those who have already done their exam,

:smile:
Original post by capricious_em

In the same boat as you 😭 Just praying i did well enough xx good luck to you too! :smile:
Hi all, just registered on TSR as I've just completed the tests and wanted to let off a bit of steam. Wow, they were trickier than I thought they'd be! Untimed ones were fine, and had loads of time left on the verbal (my strongest, but still had to think about a few!). Maths definitely hardest - not difficult questions, but no time to answer them all! Reassured that everyone else is the same - makes me think you're not meant to finish them.

Original post by swfc-dan
Hi guys I'm preparing to do the online tests, I hear the maths ones are quickfire only 6 minutes allowed which seems really short. Are they simple calculations that just require you to do them quickly, and is a calculator worth using for them?

I'm doing some GCSE Maths revision as it's been many years since I did my GCSE's,I'm guessing the tests are more foundation GCSE level than higher (hope so anyway!).

It says in the instructions you can have a calculator but advises you it might be best to use pen and paper and do it in your head. I used a calculator a couple of times - tbh, I don't feel like it slowed me down. The questions aren't hard, there's just a lot of them.

Original post by isra2015
Hi guys,

I am from london, I have applied for civil service fast track scheme on the 21st of march 2016,but I haven't received any email asking me to do a test/online-exam! really nervous, Is there anyone who may be in the same position as I am?

Good luck to those who have already done their exam,

:smile:

My friend applied before me and hasn't had the tests - support people rang him and said its coming out in batches.

I applied for London also (business). Goodluck!
Reply 71
Did you get an email for the online tests yet??
Has anyone heard anything after they did their online test? I think I have done mine 2 weeks ago now even though they did say 2-4 weeks I should know by but not sure how long their process is.
Reply 73
Just want to hear back I'm so impatient! I've applied for the commercial scheme in norwich. It looks so good!
Original post by Princessh1
Has anyone heard anything after they did their online test? I think I have done mine 2 weeks ago now even though they did say 2-4 weeks I should know by but not sure how long their process is.

Haven't heard anything either, and I did mine around the same time. I think it might 4-6 weeks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, just to double check.

Once you've done the online tests, what appears next to your progress bar when you log in?
Does it say 'Your online tests expired on ____. You can no longer take the online tests'?

Thanks!
Original post by 100sunstilwepart

Once you've done the online tests, what appears next to your progress bar when you log in?
Does it say 'Your online tests expired on ____. You can no longer take the online tests'?

Thanks!

Mine says the exact same thing, I wouldn't worry about it providing you did the four tests.
Original post by Princessh1

It said 4-6 weeks for me. It's longer than other schemes I've applied for but I guess they have a ton of applicants because of the salary/prospects.. Not too bothered about the wait.

Original post by 100sunstilwepart

Thanks!

Yep, mine says the same, and I'm pretty sure I submitted my tests, so reckon it's a standard message.
I'm somewhat relieved to hear that others found the online tests difficult too. I found them awful, have never run out of time on tests before but I did on those and didn't even get time to guess the last few when I realised I had no time so just had to guess the remaining.

6 minutes just seems ridiculously short! I don't see how that can be a good way to test people, I felt anxious whenever I was taking a bit longer on a question. Never had rapid fire tests like those and hope I won't again, oh well just have to hope now. I wonder why they test us like that?

At least the other tests were no problem, though my brain was a bit frazzled after the quick tests so took me quite a while to complete all the SJ questions lol.
Reply 79
Yes I have to agree with everyone on here, Ive literally just finished mine. Being the cocky little sh*t I am I thought,"oh these guys are just whining, the tests cant be that hard"

The untimed first one was easy and quick, the last one drained the soul out of me it was so long!
The verbal one i didnt quite finish and I was gutted at that. I didnt quite finish the math one but learning from the verbal one, once it got to 30 seconds I didnt read the questions I just clicked any answer allowing me 25% chance on the last few.
I confidently and hopefully correctly answered at least 3/4 on the verbal and 4/5 on the maths.

Hoping i've done well enough to warrant an interview. Good luck to everyone whose taken it and anyone thinking about taking it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending