The Student Room Group

RAF time scale

I sat my CBAT on the 5th January to be a pilot but unfortunately I did not meet all the requirements and have been recommended to be an RPAS pilot which I am going to do. I have switched over my application and have a formal interview on the 20th January. So my question is basically, how long do you think I all the process would take (presuming I pass everything). As I am looking to book a holiday towards the end of June but obviously don't want to waste my money. Also if anyone is able to help me out whether the formal interview will just be a chat about switching my application or it will be my interview. Any help?
Reply 1
Could be 3 months. Could be a year. Likely to be somewhere in between the two, but there are no guarantees at all.

Your interview will be an interview.
Reply 2
Original post by Drewski
Could be 3 months. Could be a year. Likely to be somewhere in between the two, but there are no guarantees at all.

Your interview will be an interview.

Yeah that's kinda what I thought, thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 3
How long did you have to wait between your presentation and going for CBAT? Seems like a pretty quick turnaround between CBAT and inteview, I thought it would be longer!
Do you know what the 'competitive' or at least bare minimum score for CBAT as well as RPAS is? I have mine coming up soon! Is it as simple as if you pass, that's enough? A lot of the older threads say meeting bare minimum is simply not enough.
Reply 5
Original post by MountKimbie
Do you know what the 'competitive' or at least bare minimum score for CBAT as well as RPAS is? I have mine coming up soon! Is it as simple as if you pass, that's enough? A lot of the older threads say meeting bare minimum is simply not enough.

Just do as well as you can. No point knowing a minimum and aiming for that. That'll change all the time depending on what other people score.

Concentrate on scoring the highest you can, then it doesn't matter.
Reply 6
Original post by A.D123
How long did you have to wait between your presentation and going for CBAT? Seems like a pretty quick turnaround between CBAT and inteview, I thought it would be longer!

Was a good few months I had to wait after my presentation but yeah I was also surprised how quickly I got my interview, just think it must change all the time really how long it takes!
Original post by Drewski
Just do as well as you can. No point knowing a minimum and aiming for that. That'll change all the time depending on what other people score.

Concentrate on scoring the highest you can, then it doesn't matter.

Seconded. There's no way of knowing how well you're doing anyway!
Original post by Fritz Bollinger
Seconded. There's no way of knowing how well you're doing anyway!

Ah right! I thought it would score you out of 9 as you were going along!
Reply 9
Ah right! I thought it would score you out of 9 as you were going along!

You'll have no idea how you're scoring until it's over. Just do your best.

And, even if it did score as you went along, would you really stop when you got the minimum score? It's essentially a competition, why wouldn't you carry on to do your absolute best?
Original post by Drewski
You'll have no idea how you're scoring until it's over. Just do your best.

And, even if it did score as you went along, would you really stop when you got the minimum score? It's essentially a competition, why wouldn't you carry on to do your absolute best?

I understand your point, I'm not saying I'm going to aim for the absolute minimum, I will do my best and if I pass, I pass, and if I don't, I will try again. I was merely curious. I'm just trying to research as much as possible and knowing a competitive score was purely out of curiosity. I understand it's a fairly arbitrary figure, if not a useless number, but like I said, I was curious, and it doesn't hurt to know, I'm not going to obsess over it.

How come loads of the stickies have been taken down?? Anybody know?
I understand your point, I'm not saying I'm going to aim for the absolute minimum, I will do my best and if I pass, I pass, and if I don't, I will try again. I was merely curious. I'm just trying to research as much as possible and knowing a competitive score was purely out of curiosity. I understand it's a fairly arbitrary figure, if not a useless number, but like I said, I was curious, and it doesn't hurt to know, I'm not going to obsess over it.

How come loads of the stickies have been taken down?? Anybody know?

The 'Cut Off' score for RPAS Pilot is 100 on the CBAT. Not sure on what the competitive score is?

As mentioned previously, the minimum score will not mean a great deal to you right now. Even during the tests it won't mean much as it's impossible to determine how well you're doing! Just do your best and if you've put the work in, you'll be rewarded! Try not to assess yourself as you go through each test, they're all challenging. Some more so than others.

Try to enjoy the experience... Easier said than done!

Best of Luck!
Reply 12
Original post by MichaelJ7
Was a good few months I had to wait after my presentation but yeah I was also surprised how quickly I got my interview, just think it must change all the time really how long it takes!

I had my presentation today and have a CBAT date for 1st Feb so very quick turn around!

Quick Reply

Latest