The Student Room Group

University's Reputation?

I have offers to study bioveterinary science at several unis, including Royal Veterinary College in London, which is a highly respected uni to study at. However, I'm a little wary of going to such a big city and think I would prefer a smaller city at another of my choices, such as Lincoln. Does the uni's repuation matter? Looking for others people's opinions! Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Al1ce
I have offers to study bioveterinary science at several unis, including Royal Veterinary College in London, which is a highly respected uni to study at. However, I'm a little wary of going to such a big city and think I would prefer a smaller city at another of my choices, such as Lincoln. Does the uni's repuation matter? Looking for others people's opinions! Thanks :smile:

Look, it is not about reputation. It's about what you enjoy. If you prefer Lincoln (I'm going there :colondollar:) then go to Lincoln, if you prefer RVC then go to RVC :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by sw651
Look, it is not about reputation. It's about what you enjoy. If you prefer Lincoln (I'm going there :colondollar:) then go to Lincoln, if you prefer RVC then go to RVC :smile:

Thank you, I haven't actually visited either yet so I ought to do that first! RVC is a lot closer to home, relatively speaking, but I have an unconditional offer for Lincoln so that's seeming appealing at the moment :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Al1ce
Thank you, I haven't actually visited either yet so I ought to do that first! RVC is a lot closer to home, relatively speaking, but I have an unconditional offer for Lincoln so that's seeming appealing at the moment :smile:

Definitely! RVC has a great reputation, but Lincoln is massively on the rise. RVC you will be worked very very hard. What are your predicted grades like? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by sw651
Definitely! RVC has a great reputation, but Lincoln is massively on the rise. RVC you will be worked very very hard. What are your predicted grades like? :smile:

I like to sound of Lincoln as a city, prefering it to London which would be the complete opposite to what I'm used to (I live quite literally in the middle of nowhere so London might be a bit of a shock!) My predicted grades are ABB, which is what I've been offered for RVC :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Al1ce
I like to sound of Lincoln as a city, prefering it to London which would be the complete opposite to what I'm used to (I live quite literally in the middle of nowhere so London might be a bit of a shock!) My predicted grades are ABB, which is what I've been offered for RVC :smile:

Lincoln is much more country based so it will be a bit easier for you to settle in. London is a big city and takes a while to get used to.

ABB will easily get you into RVC, maybe put Lincoln as your firm and then if you do well, go for adjustment later??
Original post by Al1ce

I can give you my opinion on Lincoln, as that's where I did my Bioveterinary science degree (although since I graduated 3 years ago it's changed slightly). It's a brilliant city, and a brilliant degree despite not having any connections to a vet school the standard of teaching is excellent. Lincoln has a very good reputation and has a newly developed biovet course (since 3 years ago), and if you're not into the idea of going to live in such a massive city then go for Lincoln as its not massive and it's very 'homely' - I say that because I'm actually from Lincoln so I didn't see it as any different but my friends on my degree were from all over and they loved the place and the course.
Can't give you my opinion on rvc as I've never been there, but I would have felt the same about going to a massive city for uni, but I'm now at Liverpool uni and I love it here, so my view on city life changed dramatically when I moved to Liverpool nearly 2 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Where else aside from Lincoln and RVC do you have offers for? Or are these the two you are considering the most?
Reply 8
[QUOTE=PinkTabbyKitten;63034113]Where else aside from Lincoln and RVC do you have offers for? Or are these the two you are considering the most?
I also have offers from Hartpury, Aberystweyth and Gloucestershire, those are the two that I'm most keen on going to though! I'm swaying in favour of Lincoln at the moment but it's just so far away
Reply 9
I went to Aberystwyth and loved it!
I studied Animal Science and the course was great, loved that we could choose pathways depending on our interests and also did lots of work on the Uni farms and at the local mixed practice which stood me in good stead after graduating.
Aber is a small close knit town, its own little bubble by the sea, if you're looking for a smaller city.

Reputation and League Tables can vary from year to year so I'd choose the university you'd feel most comfortable at :smile:
Original post by Al1ce
I also have offers from Hartpury, Aberystweyth and Gloucestershire, those are the two that I'm most keen on going to though! I'm swaying in favour of Lincoln at the moment but it's just so far away

Ah ok :smile: When I looked round Lincoln a few years ago I wasn't too keen but I have friends that have studied there and really enjoyed it! It is a beautiful city to live in, I don't think my heart was fully set on uni at the time so that may have swayed my opinion.

Aberystweyth is debating opening a veterinary school as well so must have good lecturers and facilities in place.

Hartpury is well known for its animal course and unfortunately I know very little about Gloucester ... although you do seem to have picked nice parts of the country to live.

I have firmed bioveterinary science at chester but for me it was my only biovet application alongside 2x vet school/ biology and zoology.

Just remember at the end of the day only you can make the decision... and only you should!! Pick whichever uni feels right! Look at the modules for differences and see which are more tailored to what you want to learn, how do they mark work - is it more cwk or exams? What are the lecturers specialities and what external places do they have connections with.

If distance is an issue just remember its only 3 years, and its not even really that! You have all the holidays to go home and your family/ friends can come visit. If you feel Lincoln is the best for you and you would be comfortable living there - take a leap of faith :biggrin:
But if you feel that homesickness could be too bigger impact on your studies, pick somewhere closer to home. Im guessing you still have a few months to reply so take your time over it and fully think through every option and the reasons you applied to these particular colleges.

Best of luck, let me know if I can help.. but remember the decision needs to work for you, no one else <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending