The Student Room Group

Anybody got some advice for rejection (adult nursing)

So my friend (who is 22) applied for an Adult Nursing course which she is genuinely passionate about at Edge Hill but she received a rejection email saying things like; the English on the application wasn't up to standard, she doesn't have enough experience or something a long them lines, and she doesn't meet the requirements of BBC.

Only problem is a sixth form English teacher wrote her application backed by a careers expert. She is currently working as an adult nurse and has been for a while and she received a great recommendation from a Director of an actual nursing institute. On top of that her grades was AAC. She is working like 80-90 hours a week to fund her whole university course so needless to say she was pretty upset.

Anybody got any advice on what she can do? Maybe put in an appeal?
Reply 1
Original post by Ste_M
So my friend (who is 22) applied for an Adult Nursing course which she is genuinely passionate about at Edge Hill but she received a rejection email saying things like; the English on the application wasn't up to standard, she doesn't have enough experience or something a long them lines, and she doesn't meet the requirements of BBC.

Only problem is a sixth form English teacher wrote her application backed by a careers expert. She is currently working as an adult nurse and has been for a while and she received a great recommendation from a Director of an actual nursing institute. On top of that her grades was AAC. She is working like 80-90 hours a week to fund her whole university course so needless to say she was pretty upset.

It sounds like there may have been a mistake. If they're saying that she doesn't have the grades when she clearly does, then it could just have been a straightforward mistake on Edge Hill's part. It's definitely worth her at least going back to the Admissions Office and pointing out the the feedback about her grades is wrong and asking whether she's been sent the wrong email.
maybe they sent the letter to the wrong person? if shes got two A's and a C then surely shes surpassed the requirements of BBC and along with an English teacher and Careers advisors co writing her application how can the English not be up to scratch?

I would tell her to ring them up to discuss why she didn't get in without outright accusing them of sending the wrong letter and if they start to explain things she said or her bad grades then bring up that they may possibly have mixed up her application with someone elses.
Reply 3
Exactly what I told her. Seems its just a matter of her ringing them up for now because there is no way it could be due to her grades/experience. 😊
if she rings up id advise her to say she wrote it along with the English and careers advisor, not saying youre not allowed to do that but some places can be quite snotty and might be like "well if you didn't write your own application then we wont accept it"
I'm a bit baffled as to how she's working currently as an adult nurse but is applying to train as one.

But yeah, like others have said, she should speak to the uni for clarification on her feedback.
Only reason I can think of is that they expect her to receive offers from better institutes that she is more likely to choose, hence it's not worth giving the offer. It's rare but it happens.
Original post by Ste_M

What do you mean an English teacher wrote her application? You mean someone else wrote her personal statement for her... ?
Original post by moonkatt
I'm a bit baffled as to how she's working currently as an adult nurse but is applying to train as one.

But yeah, like others have said, she should speak to the uni for clarification on her feedback.

indeed this all sounds rather odd and mixed up ...
Reply 9
What a strangely written post ?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending