The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Average grad starting salary is 18k, if you get more than that you're doing very well.

People on this forum grossly overestimate the kind of money you can earn, both starting and potential earnings. Quite a few people on here will be in for a nasty surprise when they start working.
I've been looking at where my career is likely to progress based on appraisals, and feedback from my employers. I also look at my skills in relation to those around me and I research the industry I'm in to see what my potential earnings will be. I'm not a graduate but I'm on track for a very substantial salary in a few years.

I do think some people on here can overestimate, but if they have a goal of where they'd like to be and what they'd like to be earning then it's something for them to focus on.
Reply 22
So you didn't go to university? What do you do?
I work at management level in sales and revenue for a large company. :smile:
BlackHawk
I work at management level in sales and revenue for a large company. :smile:

Sales *shudders*...
Reply 25
The average LSE grad salary is probably not far from those 35K+ positions. Where's the data?
Reply 26
homoterror
The average LSE grad salary is probably not far from those 35K+ positions. Where's the data?

Actually, it's nowhere near.

LSE Website
The average salary of LSE graduates, six months after graduation was 26,521

Only 26% of LSE grads actually start with more than 30k. You can find the stats here.

Hth,

fais
Reply 27
wow, that is surprising*, does anybody know if any other unis have greater starting salaries than the LSE?

though it takes into account work done in the developing world, and part time work, and the sample is people who responded to their questionnaire, maybe all the investment bankers were too busy :wink:
ChemistBoy
Sales *shudders*...

It's actually VERY good fun. At least in the industry I'm in. I love my job. :smile:
BlackHawk
It's actually VERY good fun. At least in the industry I'm in. I love my job. :smile:

Most salesmen I know are like a bad smell. They also insist on putting all their qualifications down on their business cards despite being in an environment where their customers most likely have more letters after their names than in them!
Reply 30
Sales isn't for everyone. It involves getting to know others emotions and feelings, finding their hot buttons and what makes them tick.

It's one big psychology game - very fun to play, especially when you're smashing ever increasing targets :biggrin:

I read somewhere online that sales is the second best paid profession in the World.

Obviously, that depends on the job itself i.e. someone selling soap will find it difficult competing with someone selling IT solutions (on an income basis).
Reply 31
According to the Sunday Times table, Imperial. QMUL and KCL have beaten LSE in the past too.
A few people who earn a lot will skewer the earnings for the average - so there ARE people who start on 35k (and go on to earn laods more) but they are in the minority.

The top 2 or 3 career specific forums on here Finance/Law is where some of the highest average earnings tend to be so it is no suprise peopel on those sub-forums are (rightly/wrongly) predicting high wages for themselves.
ChemistBoy
Most salesmen I know are like a bad smell. They also insist on putting all their qualifications down on their business cards despite being in an environment where their customers most likely have more letters after their names than in them!

Good grief no, it's nothing like that. I people manage and co-ordinate advertising for my company, marketing, budgeting, etc. Have to admit I shudder at the thought of that type of salesman too! :smile: I am well paid though and I love it which is the best of both worlds!
GJimbo
So, someone earning £38,000 annually in the City of London is approximately the same as someone earning £22,000 annually in the North (taking living expenses in to account)?

Unlikely - as a crude rule of thumb you get paid x% more down south, but everything costs x% more, meaning you save x% more. On £38k in London you can easily save £1k+ a month living more than comfortably, hard to do so when your net income on £22k is £1.5k/mth.

Note that all "salary" surveys are distorted downwards because they only consider basic salary, not sign-on bonuses (can be £5-10k for graduate jobs), performance-driven bonuses (can be (much) more than your salary in commission-based jobs), accommodation allowance etc. There are thousands of grads in their early 20s earning over £50k. Add to that perks like company car, laptop etc which may reduce your overheads.
Reply 35
Chassez
Unlikely - as a crude rule of thumb you get paid x% more down south, but everything costs x% more, meaning you save x% more. On £38k in London you can easily save £1k+ a month living more than comfortably, hard to do so when your net income on £22k is £1.5k/mth.

Note that all "salary" surveys are distorted downwards because they only consider basic salary, not sign-on bonuses (can be £5-10k for graduate jobs), performance-driven bonuses (can be (much) more than your salary in commission-based jobs), accommodation allowance etc. There are thousands of grads in their early 20s earning over £50k. Add to that perks like company car, laptop etc which may reduce your overheads.

I think again, you're only talking about the top percent of people earning that much.
Reply 36
There are thousands of grads in their early 20s earning over £50k. Add to that perks like company car, laptop etc which may reduce your overheads.

I find this too good to believe. Where's proof that these grads in their 'early twenties' earn 50k+ and what sort of job?
Killer7
I find this too good to believe. Where's proof that these grads in their 'early twenties' earn 50k+ and what sort of job?

See here for what 1st year grads made in banking (these figures are old, I know loads who made £80-95k in the last year). For corporate law see the "Salary NQ" column here - that's a grad's basic salary 2 years after joining a firm. Good consultancy firms pay £40k grad salaries. These jobs may make up a small proportion of all grad jobs in the country (they're all based in central London), but that's not to say there's not thousands of them available every year, and they're perfectly accessible to anyone who ticks the right boxes (good grades, experience, comes across well in interview, etc).
A couple of thousand jobs is small potatoes considering the number of graduates produced each year.

Latest

Trending

Trending