The Student Room Group

Possibly Dyslexic and Have a Question

I'm currently on my first year at uni and was recommended by my friend who's studying a PGCE that I should get assessed on if I do have Dyslexia due to the problems I have when it comes to writing.

Im just worried that If I do get one done is that the university would want to have a tutor to go to as I'm very independent and wouldn't want to commit to something like that on a weekly basis. Im more for getting help with providing things that would help me read and write better for example like coloured layovers were a possibility.

The reason I wouldn't want an extra hours on top of my learning is because my course is very practical and creative (most of my work has come back with results of 70%+) and I dont want to change that. (however I havn't had an essay back or an exam paper that I know I stuggled with getting my ideas down on.)

Is there anyone who has done something like this and can explain to me what they get and if its compulsory to attend sessions with a tutor if they are dyslexic.
Original post by AndyJBird
I'm currently on my first year at uni and was recommended by my friend who's studying a PGCE that I should get assessed on if I do have Dyslexia due to the problems I have when it comes to writing.

Im just worried that If I do get one done is that the university would want to have a tutor to go to as I'm very independent and wouldn't want to commit to something like that on a weekly basis. Im more for getting help with providing things that would help me read and write better for example like coloured layovers were a possibility.

The reason I wouldn't want an extra hours on top of my learning is because my course is very practical and creative (most of my work has come back with results of 70%+) and I dont want to change that. (however I havn't had an essay back or an exam paper that I know I stuggled with getting my ideas down on.)

Is there anyone who has done something like this and can explain to me what they get and if its compulsory to attend sessions with a tutor if they are dyslexic.

You dont have to anything you dont want to, I would suggest to try having one to see if it has any benefit to you (I did without one for a year of uni but decided to have one again now i m on a course with more exams and teaching hours and it is certainly making me feel more confident with assignments) .I have a 1:1 tutor once a week for an hour to help me to structure my work better and help me to proofread but if I dont need to see her that week then i dont ever have to :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest