The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Bad undergrad, Cambridge MPhil - PhD chances?

I graduated with a 2:2 from a top 20 (worldwide) school and somehow managed to do a Cambridge MPhil (significant work experience, references, etc really helped my case). I graduated with distinction at Cambridge. I applied for phd studies at cambridge, but am worried that they'll look at my undergrad marks in detail since I applied for scholarships as well (gates/trust). what are my chances for the scholarships specifically? will they look deeply at my undergrad marks, or should my MPhil distinction suffice to carry me through?
(edited 8 years ago)
Well tbh with you I have no idea what they really look into. However I must say that if they are objective they will look upon your more recent results with far more attention.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply Young Oldman. I hope you're right about them overlooking my earlier marks but one cant be too sure with funding since these are all super competitive......
They will look at your UCL UG 2.2 and it will handicap you against other better applicants
Reply 4
Original post by Zenomorph
They will look at your UCL UG 2.2 and it will handicap you against other better applicants

Thanks for the dose of reality :frown:
Reply 5
Scholarships will be what they are. Who knows what they will want?

As for the MPhil, doesn't anything above a 67 (old marking system) on the thesis or total course essentially give you "Leave to Continue"?
Reply 6
Original post by Camilli
Scholarships will be what they are. Who knows what they will want?

As for the MPhil, doesn't anything above a 67 (old marking system) on the thesis or total course essentially give you "Leave to Continue"?

I didnt know about "leave to continue". I got above 75% on the dissertation and the overall coursework during my MPhil and with conversations with my old profs I'm not really worried about getting in to the phd as much as I am about funding. you're right though....who knows what they will want?!!
For your PhD admission, don't worry about it. They won't care. Your department should've told you the specific marks you need overall and on your dissertation already; and you should already have gotten someone in your department who would like to supervise you.

As for the scholarships, it's difficult to tell. But if you could get into Cambridge with a 2:2 with your other stuff, who can say you won't get the funding because of that same reason?
Original post by pprtal
I didnt know about "leave to continue". I got above 75% on the dissertation and the overall coursework during my MPhil and with conversations with my old profs I'm not really worried about getting in to the phd as much as I am about funding. you're right though....who knows what they will want?!!

I'm not sure about Trust but Gates is very specific about what they want on their website.
Reply 9
Thanks Little Toy Gun. I feel like it was a pure blessing that I got in the first time for the MPhil (which i obviously self-funded) but I definitely cant do the phd without funding. with Gates, i actually feel like i meet all the requirements they set out on the website (or maybe i'm being too optimistic!) except that sore 2:2 from UG :s-smilie: which could be the deciding factor....
Reply 10
Original post by pprtal
Thanks Little Toy Gun. I feel like it was a pure blessing that I got in the first time for the MPhil (which i obviously self-funded) but I definitely cant do the phd without funding. with Gates, i actually feel like i meet all the requirements they set out on the website (or maybe i'm being too optimistic!) except that sore 2:2 from UG :s-smilie: which could be the deciding factor....

What subject was the MPhil in? I've got a high 2:1 (first in the final year) and I still don't think I can get in.
Reply 11
Original post by FMF
What subject was the MPhil in? I've got a high 2:1 (first in the final year) and I still don't think I can get in.

MPhil was in the Geography department. don't lose hope! i basically got rejected from every school I applied to......except Cambridge. which was very shocking. but if you have a lot of good work experience to back it up and excellent references you should feel optimistic!
Original post by pprtal
I graduated with a 2:2 from a top 20 (worldwide) school and somehow managed to do a Cambridge MPhil (significant work experience, references, etc really helped my case). I graduated with distinction at Cambridge. I applied for phd studies at cambridge, but am worried that they'll look at my undergrad marks in detail since I applied for scholarships as well (gates/trust). what are my chances for the scholarships specifically? will they look deeply at my undergrad marks, or should my MPhil distinction suffice to carry me through?

I feel quite skeptical about you actually studying at Cambridge with a 2:2
when they generally ask for a 1st or in some cases 2:1(weaker applicants)
Original post by Zenomorph

How do you know he went to UCL?
Reply 14
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
I feel quite skeptical about you actually studying at Cambridge with a 2:2
when they generally ask for a 1st or in some cases 2:1(weaker applicants)

I actually did get a 2:2 (in the lower 3 range of a north american gpa out of 4.0). if i was lying i wouldn't be asking this question.....

and things happened in my life which contributed to the low gpa (but i didnt mention any of this in my MPhil application) but it's not a reflection of my capabilities since I ended up graduating with distinction in the MPhil. i do have a lot of good work experience after UG which definitely helped and references from profs who believed in me.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
How do you know he went to UCL?

I didnt feel like correcting Zenomorph but no I didnt go to UCL, i'm from north america
Especially when you're not jumping straight from undergrad, they'll often look at other things. My college GPA sagged around 3.4 by the time I left (I was a real mess in my college years), but I got a very strong transcript from a business degree and some As at Harvard night classes. Add a good proposal (and, perhaps, a shortage of applicants in my area), and we were good to go. So far I'm just touching a "high pass" (the equivalent of a low/solid First), and I have high hopes of doing at least as well on the dissertation. [If nothing else, that will be about material I've asked to prepare, with some help.]

Whether that all allows me to jump to another place (or "The Other Place") for a doctorate, I don't know. But for a system that prides itself on progressively filtering out all but the best, Oxbridge does sometimes give second chances.
Reply 17
Original post by Camilli
Especially when you're not jumping straight from undergrad, they'll often look at other things. My college GPA sagged around 3.4 by the time I left (I was a real mess in my college years), but I got a very strong transcript from a business degree and some As at Harvard night classes. Add a good proposal (and, perhaps, a shortage of applicants in my area), and we were good to go. So far I'm just touching a "high pass" (the equivalent of a low/solid First), and I have high hopes of doing at least as well on the dissertation. [If nothing else, that will be about material I've asked to prepare, with some help.]

Whether that all allows me to jump to another place (or "The Other Place":wink: for a doctorate, I don't know. But for a system that prides itself on progressively filtering out all but the best, Oxbridge does sometimes give second chances.

this is very similar to what happened to me as well! (and if you can believe it, my undergrad GPA was lower than yours!) i'm glad Oxbridge gave us both second chances......I hope the gates/trust selection committees will feel the same.
Original post by Camilli

Whether that all allows me to jump to another place (or "The Other Place":wink: for a doctorate, I don't know. But for a system that prides itself on progressively filtering out all but the best, Oxbridge does sometimes give second chances.

This is a very good post.

I come from a relatively low regarded undergraduate institution, albeit with a high 2.1. My A-Levels were horrendous and I had little interest in academics until after graduating. I worked hard on a strong research proposal (very important) and picked a course that I felt would match these interests.

Point being: Oxbridge gives you an opportunity to redeem your grades but make sure you do the right research. It's important to pick a course you like and are willing to put the hard work into. If your research proposal is rubbish and doesn't match the interests of academics there, I wouldn't be surprised if they reject you (even if you've been to, say, an Ivy League, with top marks).
Reply 19
I'm sorry for bumping up old thread, but may I know, did you get in with funding? I have a 2:1 though, so not as bad. I got an MPhil offer and will be joining in 2 months time. But I've started thinking about PhD applications and funding, and now I'm wondering if my 2:1 is a bit low, and if they'll favour only first class degrees.

Latest

Trending

Trending