The Student Room Group

My chances of getting an Oxford interview

Hi, I am looking at applying to Oxford to study History. I achieved 8 A*s and 2 A's (Maths and Art). I achieved a score of 99/100 In the International GCSE History exam. I go to a top boys private secondary school where a lot of boys have 9 or 10 A*'s. My school have encouraged me to apply to do History at Oxbridge and without coming across as cocky, the reports show that I am one of the best (if not the best) at History in my year. I am doing the IB Diploma and for Oxford an offer is 38-39 points. I do History, English and Philosophy at Higher Level and Latin, Chemistry and Maths at Standard Level. Though I haven't been given my predictions yet I reckon I will be (or at least hope to be) in the 40s. Having said this I am very passionate about History and I have read quite a few history books on the Renaissance and the Medici family already. I also aim to visit Florence so that I can carry out any historical research whilst I am there. This will then be followed by a school trip to Berlin in October time after Oxbridge applications have been sent off. I also have my own history blog in which I post articles on anything I have learnt from my wider reading as well as any school essays I have done. I would be very grateful if you could tell me what are the chances like of getting an interview at Oxford based on my GCSE grades, predicted grades I think I will be given and my passion for history? I am concerned that though I have done remarkably well in GCSE's that this is not enough to get an interview because a number of my friends are applying to do History at Oxford and they have 9 or 10 A*'s and Oxford compare you in relation to your school and the average was 8 A*'s I believe. I would be grateful if you could tell me my chances of receiving an interview at Oxford and whether it is worth me applying and whether my GCSE grades are good enough? Thank you
Should you apply you will be asked to complete a History Aptitude Test
http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/for-test-takers/hat/about-hat/
You can find over 5 years of past papers if you follow the links on that site.

Your grades are fine, but those alone won't get you a into Oxford. Providing you do well on the HAT you may be invited to interview where they will be looking closely at your interests, reasoning and understanding of various topics. I would say that you may need to broaden your range a little bit more, the Renaissance may be a particular favourite period for you but you will need to show a greater understanding of more than that.
That aside, having genuine interests that don't necessarily fall within the school curriculum and that you have discovered and researched yourself is always going to be advantageous.

Try not to get to worried about it, give it a go and see what happens.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending