The Student Room Group

Thorpe Park Interview

Hey! I have an interview this Saturday and I was wondering if some of you nice people would like to suggest things to expect :smile: I am aware it is 2 hours long, consisting of group activities plus the actual interview.

If any of you just happen to be attending that as well message too!

Edit:
I had the interview yesterday and it was actually enjoyable. I was surprised at how many people were turned up and how everyone seemed to be so comfortable with each other, even if they've only just met. But yeah I met a few good people.

We were given an item they sell in the shops and we had to pitch it to another table. We also had to complete a map of thorpe park which they cut up and jumbled together.

After the group activities we had a mini maths test for 10 minutes, it was stupid easy and they give you a calculator. Then we went to the interviews!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

i ammmm
Reply 2
I used to work at Thorpe Park as a Food and Beverage Host. I was put into the Rides and Attractions group interview which I thought was unusual but still passed!

First, someone from Thorpe Park will give a presentation about the merlin values. You can prepare for this by googling these values. They'll ask everyone in the room (approx. 30) to pick a value and give a reason why you like it. Don't pick loyalty because you're loyal to friends.

First was the group exercise. You're in a group of 4-6 others and you need to do a role play. The aim of this role play (for the rides and attraction) is to ensure that customers are having a good time. Get 1-2 people to be the customer and everyone else as employee. Then you can start the role play by getting the customers to sit down on the ride, make sure that have seat belt and make some small talk. Make sure that you talk!

1-1 interview (only if you passed the group exercise): give me an example of when you delivered excellent customer service, give me an example of when you received excellent customer service, tell me about yourself. And they'll give you some scenario questions. e.g. you're working in a ticket office. How do you keep yourself motivated?
Reply 3
Original post by owwwww2
I used to work at Thorpe Park as a Food and Beverage Host. I was put into the Rides and Attractions group interview which I thought was unusual but still passed!

First, someone from Thorpe Park will give a presentation about the merlin values. You can prepare for this by googling these values. They'll ask everyone in the room (approx. 30) to pick a value and give a reason why you like it. Don't pick loyalty because you're loyal to friends.

First was the group exercise. You're in a group of 4-6 others and you need to do a role play. The aim of this role play (for the rides and attraction) is to ensure that customers are having a good time. Get 1-2 people to be the customer and everyone else as employee. Then you can start the role play by getting the customers to sit down on the ride, make sure that have seat belt and make some small talk. Make sure that you talk!

1-1 interview (only if you passed the group exercise): give me an example of when you delivered excellent customer service, give me an example of when you received excellent customer service, tell me about yourself. And they'll give you some scenario questions. e.g. you're working in a ticket office. How do you keep yourself motivated?

Thank you so much! I had the interview yesterday and I hope passed. There was different aspects that were different to your description but I'm glad it's over and done with now.

They also kept shuffling and moving people around? What could that mean?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by byrdie
Thank you so much! I had the interview yesterday and I hope passed. There was different aspects that were different to your description but I'm glad it's over and done with now.

They also kept shuffling and moving people around? What does could that mean?

No idea - hope it went well though
Sorry to intrude but I have been invited for an interview also - may I ask what you wore to your interview

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by _chloeematt
Sorry to intrude but I have been invited for an interview also - may I ask what you wore to your interview

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're not intruding! :biggrin:

Being in Sixth Form, it certainly helped with the dress code, but I wore slacks, blouse and a cardigan over it. Smart-Casual.

Don't be too casual wearing jeans and stuff because that just shows that you're not really making the effort. With my session at least, everyone took the dress code seriously (perhaps because for most of them it was their first job interview) so you'll stick out like a sore thumb... and not in a good way.

Turn up early so you get to meet the other candidates so you at least know a few people there and therefore more comfortable with the environment. The staff is overall really kind and sometimes offer aid with the activities.

It has been said that it takes less than 3 minutes for someone to make a judgement of you, even before hearing you speak and your views... So make it a good one!
I hope I didn't reply too late!
Good luck!
Original post by byrdie
You're not intruding! :biggrin:

Being in Sixth Form, it certainly helped with the dress code, but I wore slacks, blouse and a cardigan over it. Smart-Casual.

Don't be too casual wearing jeans and stuff because that just shows that you're not really making the effort. With my session at least, everyone took the dress code seriously (perhaps because for most of them it was their first job interview) so you'll stick out like a sore thumb... and not in a good way.

Turn up early so you get to meet the other candidates so you at least know a few people there and therefore more comfortable with the environment. The staff is overall really kind and sometimes offer aid with the activities.

It has been said that it takes less than 3 minutes for someone to make a judgement of you, even before hearing you speak and your views... So make it a good one!
I hope I didn't reply too late!
Good luck!

No No you didn't infact just in time! Thank you ever so much - did they offer you a job there and then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by _chloeematt
No No you didn't infact just in time! Thank you ever so much - did they offer you a job there and then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, they said they look at how you did on activities and your answers to the interview questions, and should get back to you within a week or so (via email or telephone). When they've accepted you they'll discuss a few dates regarding inductions and training.

Hope you do well!
Reply 9
Did they offer you a job? just wondering haha!
Reply 10
Original post by starr246
Did they offer you a job? just wondering haha!

Yes they did! Luckily! :biggrin:
Reply 11
Thats good! :biggrin: i got offered a job too! Do you have an induction soon then?
Reply 12
Original post by starr246
Thats good! :biggrin: i got offered a job too! Do you have an induction soon then?

Dude! That's cool!
I sent you a private message.
Reply 13
What questions do they ask in the interview? Also do you have to pitch on your own or are you working with the group?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
Hey im having a interview soon and its my first one i really dont know what to expect. Can you tell me what happens in the group exercises and what they ask in the interview, how many people were in the group? :smile:
Reply 15
I've got my interview on the 7th! Any tips? Thanks :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Aclam_
I've got my interview on the 7th! Any tips? Thanks :smile:

Me too dude! What time is yours?
Reply 17
Original post by hh668
Me too dude! What time is yours?

I went for the 5PM one, how about you?
Reply 18