The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Advice on Accommodation (2016 Entry)

Hi, I've just received my offer for Chemistry with a year in industry, and Cardiff is definitely going to be my firm choice.
I was wondering if anyone has any advice on the accommodation, like the pros and cons and other things, I'm still really unsure where I want to stay.
I was thinking either the Talybont area or in the University Halls.
Hi there,

Well done on getting an offer to Cardiff, I got one too and I'm planning to firm!

You should definitely go to the applicant day and ask some of the students in the courses the most recommended places of residence.

I cannot recall where but I think it's one of the Talybonts (North, I think) that all the people in my course claimed to be the ghetto area haha, so that may be something to consider. They also said university halls are a no-no because it's always really noisy.

You'll probably also want to consider the distance the accommodation is from the building where you learn. For example, I'll need to travel to Newport for my course so I'll need accommodation relatively close to Cathay's station - the closest one is Colum Hall I think.

Be sure to think about whether you want a shared or en-suite bathroom!

@RobML and @arfah currently go to Cardiff University, hopefully they'll be able to help you out more. :h:
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by thecatwithnohat
Hi there,

Well done on getting an offer to Cardiff, I got one too and I'm planning to firm!

You should definitely go to the applicant day and ask some of the students in the courses the most recommended places of residence.

I cannot recall where but I think it's one of the Talybonts (North, I think) that all the people in my course claimed to be the ghetto area haha, so that may be something to consider. They also said university halls are a no-no because it's always really noisy.

You'll probably also want to consider the distance the accommodation is from the building where you learn. For example, I'll need to travel to Newport for my course so I'll need accommodation relatively close to Cathay's station - the closest one is Colum Hall I think.

Be sure to think about whether you want a shared or en-suite bathroom!

@RobML and @arfah currently go to Cardiff University, hopefully they'll be able to help you out more. :h:

Thanks!
Reply 3
Hello!

I'm in my first here in Cardiff (Business & Japanese) and as I'm writing this I'm procrastinating so that I don't have to study for my statistics exam tomorrow lmfao.

Congrats on your offer, first of all!

As far as I know, the School of Chemistry is located inside the Main Building, so applying for University Halls would be horrible because: a) very, VERY far away from the city centre, you would have to take the bus daily from Uni Halls to the Main Building (luckily there's a free bus service run by the uni every 30 mins, but still...). And it would be a huge hassle to come back home from a night out because you would either have to walk for about 45 minutes or take a taxi; b) very noisy, as a Chemistry student there will be a lot of studying and you don't want people banging in your head, believe me.

Taly North is ok, it has the sweet advantage of an en-suite bathroom (Uni Halls is en-suite as well) but the rooms are so small you can barely move. There's the more expensive version of Taly North, Taly Court which is really nice. You can go on Cardiff Uni's website and look at the pictures or come here on Open Day!

Also, the division between Taly North and Taly South is real, lmao, just imagine Korea on a smaller scale.

Right now I'm living in Senghennydd Court, which is called Senghetto or just the Ghetto, mainly because of the 3-story blocks with no living room, shared bathroom and tiny bedrooms - not as tiny as Taly North en-suite, though! (and I was lucky to get the largest room possible in the flat haha, lucky number Room 1). It kind of looks like a Ghetto from the outside, hence the name.

The advantage of living in the Ghetto is the fact that it's sooooo close to everything. Literally, it takes me less than 7 minutes of walking to get to the city centre, and that's a blessing when you're wearing high heels and you just want to lie down faster after a big night out hahaha :biggrin: Also, very close to the Uni, I walk about 10 minutes compared to the poor souls in Uni Halls who have to take the bus...

The disadvantages of Senghennydd would have to be the shared bathroom, the constant noise (parties EVERY F-CKING NIGHT and also the train that runs close to the houses but you can't really hear it so it's ok) and 1 small fridge for 5 people (this is ridiculous). Buuuut, it's the cheapest accommodation you can get and tbh I feel so blessed for being close to everything that I stopped caring about the fridge and the noise, you get used to it.

PS: One Punch Man is awesome :')
Reply 4
Original post by aranara
Hello!

I'm in my first here in Cardiff (Business & Japanese) and as I'm writing this I'm procrastinating so that I don't have to study for my statistics exam tomorrow lmfao.

As far as I know, the School of Chemistry is located inside the Main Building, so applying for University Halls would be horrible because: a) very, VERY far away from the city centre, you would have to take the bus daily from Uni Halls to the Main Building (luckily there's a free bus service run by the uni every 30 mins, but still...). And it would be a huge hassle to come back home from a night out because you would either have to walk for about 45 minutes or take a taxi; b) very noisy, as a Chemistry student there will be a lot of studying and you don't want people banging in your head, believe me.

Taly North is ok, it has the sweet advantage of an en-suite bathroom (Uni Halls is en-suite as well) but the rooms are so small you can barely move. There's the more expensive version of Taly North, Taly Court which is really nice. You can go on Cardiff Uni's website and look at the pictures or come here on Open Day!

Also, the division between Taly North and Taly South is real, lmao, just imagine Korea on a smaller scale.

Right now I'm living in Senghennydd Court, which is called Senghetto or just the Ghetto, mainly because of the 3-story blocks with no living room, shared bathroom and tiny bedrooms - not as tiny as Taly North en-suite, though! (and I was lucky to get the largest room possible in the flat haha, lucky number Room 1). It kind of looks like a Ghetto from the outside, hence the name.

The advantage of living in the Ghetto is the fact that it's sooooo close to everything. Literally, it takes me less than 7 minutes of walking to get to the city centre, and that's a blessing when you're wearing high heels and you just want to lie down faster after a big night out hahaha :biggrin: Also, very close to the Uni, I walk about 10 minutes compared to the poor souls in Uni Halls who have to take the bus...

The disadvantages of Senghennydd would have to be the shared bathroom, the constant noise (parties EVERY F-CKING NIGHT and also the train that runs close to the houses but you can't really hear it so it's ok) and 1 small fridge for 5 people (this is ridiculous). Buuuut, it's the cheapest accommodation you can get and tbh I feel so blessed for being close to everything that I stopped caring about the fridge and the noise, you get used to it.

PS: One Punch Man is awesome :':wink:

Thanks for the help!

PS: One Punch Man is the best! :wink:
Original post by aranara
Hello!

PS: One Punch Man is awesome :':wink:

Hi I was also looking at Senghennydd as my main choice, do you advise going for the ensuite or shared? And how many people to one bathroom/toilet? Also the boy/girl ratios are relatively equal or not? Thanks!
Reply 6
Hey, dont know if youve made your decision or not but Im a first year student living in Taly South and its honestly the best decision I have made.

Its a little more expensive than North, but cheaper than court and Gate. Id say social wise its amazing as you will meet a lot of people and it will never let you down for parties. Its really not that noisy here like people make it out to be. Yes during freshers, Halloween etc it is crazy but Taly south is in the very middle of Talybont and has equal distance to the column road (leads to the Uni) and tesco/mcdonalds.
I have been to uni halls as I have course mates who live there and can honestly say it does not compare to living in South. I am not a massive party goer and am not one for going out every night, I didnt in freshers.
Uni halls is so far out, my course mates complain about how early they have to wake up for their bus journey in, or its an hours long walk. I have noticed that there is a stronger friendship feel there though maybe because theyre so far out from everything?

You know my suggestion! put taly south, you wont regret it :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by sofja26
Hey, dont know if youve made your decision or not but Im a first year student living in Taly South and its honestly the best decision I have made.

Its a little more expensive than North, but cheaper than court and Gate. Id say social wise its amazing as you will meet a lot of people and it will never let you down for parties. Its really not that noisy here like people make it out to be. Yes during freshers, Halloween etc it is crazy but Taly south is in the very middle of Talybont and has equal distance to the column road (leads to the Uni) and tesco/mcdonalds.
I have been to uni halls as I have course mates who live there and can honestly say it does not compare to living in South. I am not a massive party goer and am not one for going out every night, I didnt in freshers.
Uni halls is so far out, my course mates complain about how early they have to wake up for their bus journey in, or its an hours long walk. I have noticed that there is a stronger friendship feel there though maybe because theyre so far out from everything?

You know my suggestion! put taly south, you wont regret it :biggrin:

Thanks for the advice, I was thinking about going with taly south, heard a lot of good things about it
Reply 8
hi, I am hoping to come to cardiff uni next year and was just wondering if you could advise me on which talybont accommodation is the best out of gate and court
Original post by kingLAWZA
Hi I was also looking at Senghennydd as my main choice, do you advise going for the ensuite or shared? And how many people to one bathroom/toilet? Also the boy/girl ratios are relatively equal or not? Thanks!

I'm in Senghennydd Hall so may be able to offer an ensuite part-catered opinion to this! For us, there's normally 8 per flat but in one flat it's 11. Kitchen is tiny in 2 of the houses but enormous in 1 of them. We don't even have a kitchen table! Boy/girl ratio wise we have 3 girls and 5 boys in the 3 flats I know of.
I've visited Senghennydd Court and they had 1 bathroom for a flat of 5 (separate toilet and shower though) and there were 2 girls and 3 guys. Because it's so close to engineering and maths and those are traditionally more popular with guys I think that ratio is to be expected. However the ratios are fairly balanced so I've never really noticed them.
Original post by ThePhoenixLament
I'm in Senghennydd Hall so may be able to offer an ensuite part-catered opinion to this! For us, there's normally 8 per flat but in one flat it's 11. Kitchen is tiny in 2 of the houses but enormous in 1 of them. We don't even have a kitchen table! Boy/girl ratio wise we have 3 girls and 5 boys in the 3 flats I know of.
I've visited Senghennydd Court and they had 1 bathroom for a flat of 5 (separate toilet and shower though) and there were 2 girls and 3 guys. Because it's so close to engineering and maths and those are traditionally more popular with guys I think that ratio is to be expected. However the ratios are fairly balanced so I've never really noticed them.

alot of people on here talk about the taly south/north areas alot, do these tend to be the most popular? They are no where near the building where i'm studying so wondering which is the most popular accomodation
alot of people on here talk about the taly south/north areas alot, do these tend to be the most popular? They are no where near the building where i'm studying so wondering which is the most popular accomodation

They are definitely the most popular but the walk back after nights out in the city are a bit of a nightmare (about 30-45 minutes). Please don't do it based on popularity- location is key!
Original post by ThePhoenixLament
They are definitely the most popular but the walk back after nights out in the city are a bit of a nightmare (about 30-45 minutes). Please don't do it based on popularity- location is key!

Do you know why they are the most popular? Is it because of the amount of parties there or? Do you have an? opinion on the university halls
(edited 8 years ago)
Do you know why they are the most popular? Is it because of the amount of parties there or? Do you have an? opinion on the university halls

There's just tons of people there so the inevitable happens that there's always someone awake. Quite a lot of people that I've talked to at taly talk about pres or parties there but I'm really not sure I can accurately tell you what it's like as almost everywhere has parties. Do you mean like uni halls? Or the halls owned by the university in general? Uni halls can have brilliant views and is cheap but the location is really, REALLY bad and you have a limited time you can get the bus back by so you don't have much freedom unless you're prepared to pay for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending