The Student Room Group

Would I be able to take Computer Science without any IT knowledge?

For the past two years I have been planning to go to uni and do a business management degree. I took BTEC Level 3 Business (Double), Media studies and english (which I dropped because I got an E).

I have been starting to realise how I have overestimated the value of a business management degree and I want to switch courses. I cant do an extra year at sixth form and pick up BTEC Level 3 IT and I think I can ask the uni I applied for (Birkbeck) to switch my course to computer science.

The question is: Should I? I want to do computer science since I know technology is advancing and that degree is gaining more value. The problem is that I have no qualifications. I am good at IT and I like computers and everything but I have no actual knowledge on it.

Should I just stick with business or gamble with IT (and potentially flop the whole course?)

Also: Is Birkbeck a good uni?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Five seconds on Google would have been sufficient to establish that Computer Science is to 'IT' as tournament-level chess is to setting up the board.
Reply 2
bruh... the only similarity between IT and Computer Science is you may need to use computers in both
Reply 3
Sorry that other people who answered weren't that helpful.

Don't think they know what BTEC in IT includes. It does have a few of the solely IT subjects like communication technologies but it also covers multiple programming languages, hardware, networking, web design, etc. So actually doing BTEC IT if you want to do computer science is a good way to go.

You need to decide what you want to do really. If you won't enjoy business, just don't do it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
You also actually do have a choice of taking 2 extra years and actually getting an IT degree, there's nothing against that. I would recommend calling up the uni and asking if it would be possible to switch. If they would allow it then look at the modules they would teach and look them up a bit. They usually quickly cover the basics too because it depends on the colleges and schools on what languages and such they use and some students come in with A levels not including IT or CS subjects

You may also be able to do a foundation year which would cover the information. But you would need to check with the university for the options.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending