The Student Room Group

52 Weeks: 52 Books. 2016 Reading Challenge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BekahMay
Is wordery a good site to buy book? They sell cheap books and apparently free shipping. I feel like there must be some sort of catch :')

They're awesome. I especially like that they have different editions listed separately by ISBN. I don't have anything against any particular publishers, but if I did I would be able to avoid the ones I didn't like. It's also good for when you've got a series and you have them all in one cover design and you want to buy the next one to match and not the film tie-in or whatever.
Their customer service is good as well, they're dead friendly on twitter, and we have Sarah running our TSR Wordery Book Club, very successfully at the moment.

Original post by StrawbAri
Currently reading: The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

Let me know how this goes. I've had it on my shelf for a while and not started it yet.

Original post by Kathy89
I want, can't find a really good book to start with... mostly reading for school and hobbies, reading mostly on-line. My eyes are finally better so I can read more.

What kind of things do you like? We'll see if we can suggest something for you.

Original post by RickmanAlways
Last year i read 76 books from march to august and got Victorian reading challenge champion!

I am incredibly impressed. Keep that up and you'll topple everyone else here.
Original post by minimarshmallow
They're awesome. I especially like that they have different editions listed separately by ISBN. I don't have anything against any particular publishers, but if I did I would be able to avoid the ones I didn't like. It's also good for when you've got a series and you have them all in one cover design and you want to buy the next one to match and not the film tie-in or whatever.
Their customer service is good as well, they're dead friendly on twitter, and we have Sarah running our TSR Wordery Book Club, very successfully at the moment.

Let me know how this goes. I've had it on my shelf for a while and not started it yet.

What kind of things do you like? We'll see if we can suggest something for you.

I am incredibly impressed. Keep that up and you'll topple everyone else here.

Thats right, girlfriend... :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Does it count if I read a book the second time? :colondollar:
I like mostly fantasy (game of fire and ice style) or Dan Brown style, or John Grishem style...
Original post by SiminaM

I'm not sure twice in the same month or so should count (priming and all that), but re-reads in general are definitely fine.

What does everyone else think?
Original post by SiminaM

Definitely, I re-read books if another in the series just came out and I need to remember what happened. I also count re-reading Harry Potter for the millionth time :p:
Original post by SerotoninAddict
Definitely, I re-read books if another in the series just came out and I need to remember what happened. I also count re-reading Harry Potter for the millionth time :p:

I think I'm going to reread a series I read in high school, there's a third one that came out a while after the first two and while I remember the basics of the two they were fab so I want to read them again!
Picked all three up on Wordery, they didn't have any in stock in Amazon and couldn't find at all on Waterstones and those...
I have a few to catch up on.
Just finished The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion.
Plot - 3.7
Characters- 4.0
Writing style- 3.5

Total - 3.73/5

I really enjoyed this. It was sweet, lighthearted and funny in some places. I loved the main character Don's voice. Really reminiscent of Sheldon Cooper from big bang theory. The ending was predictable but it doesn't take away from that fuzzy little feeling of happiness you get when it's over.
Would recommend to lovers of Well done chick lit.

Currently reading: First Frost by Sarah Addison Allen

@minimarshmallow
Reply 169
Review of 'Mortal Engines' by Philip Reeves.

I have recently finished reading the aforementioned book, and found the overall flow of the writing to be efficient and easy to follow. The characters were beautifully described, and my opinion of them kept changing after every chapter. This book was beautifully written, and I couldn't put it down. Even when I needed to sleep, I found myself still reading two chapters later.

The story is set in a dystopian future, and has been vividly imagined and perfectly written. There is a clear reason for writing this story, and a very good reason for wanting to read it.

If there was one (slightly) disappointing thing about this book, it's the ending. I didn't want it to end, and especially not in the way it did. I honestly believe that Philip Reeve could have got a few more chapters out of it, and the ending ended up being ever so slightly anticlimactic.

Overall, I give this book 4.5 stars out of 5.

4.5/5

@minimarshmallow
Update! :dance: ...I am so so behind. XD :emo:

Currently reading:

'The Slap' ~ Christos Tsiolkas.
'Gone girl' ~ Gillian Flynn.
'The Great Gatsby' ~ F.Scott Fitzgerald.
'War Horse' ~ Micheal Morpurgo.

What I've read so far:

1) 'Paper Towns' ~ John Green. ( 5/10 - First John Green book I've ever read, safe to say that I'm not in any rush to read anymore of his work. Yes, quite well written however it was all just a bit.. meh. All that leading up to what was essentially nothing. Really don't see the hype. Dissapointed. )
6 weeks in (or a tiny bit over), I've just finished book 12! On track and looking to go ahead of schedule now I can read without getting dizzy!

What's everyone else on?
Original post by Anon_98

Currently reading:

What I've read so far:

1) 'Paper Towns' ~ John Green. ( 5/10 - First John Green book I've ever read, safe to say that I'm not in any rush to read anymore of his work. Yes, quite well written however it was all just a bit.. meh. All that leading up to what was essentially nothing. Really don't see the hype. Dissapointed. )

How do you read 4 books simultaneously, my brain would just merge them all together into one story :lol:
Original post by Rockstar North
How do you read 4 books simultaneously, my brain would just merge them all together into one story :lol:

Agreed. I can just about manage two, but one has to be non-fiction.

Although I do also have a book of short stories on the go, but as long as you finish each individual story then you don't have to keep track of it.
I'm reading two books at a time - one paperback which i read before going to sleep and an ebook i takeon the train and things
Original post by Anon_98

Currently reading:

What I've read so far:

I've been looking for a reason to not read this book :lol: This and the fault in our stars have been on my shelf for agesssss. It's safe to say I won't be reading either of them :haughty:
Original post by StrawbAri
I've been looking for a reason to not read this book :lol: This and the fault in our stars have been on my shelf for agesssss. It's safe to say I won't be reading either of them :haughty:

I raced through the two of them in one day each, thought they were excellent.
Already Completed:

Spoiler

Recently Completed:
The Mystery of the Clockwork Sparrow by Katherine Woodfine - 3.5/5 (12/02/16)
Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard - 2/5 (14/02/16)
Half a King by Joe Abercrombie - 3.5/5 (15/02/16)
All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr - 5/5 (18/02/16)

All the Light We Cannot See was so beautiful. I loved the author's writing - it was poignant, elegant and evocative. He created beautiful metaphors and vivid imagery. I was able to connect with the characters so well. The main two characters are Marie-Laure, a blind French girl whose father is the keeper of the keys at the Museum of Natural History, and an orphaned German boy, Werner, whose curiosity saves him from working in the coal mines to building and fixing radios throughout Germany (and later, other countries). The novel alternates between these two characters and travels back and forth so that we can learn about their lives as they grow up and slowly, inevitably meet.
As we read about these two characters, we also read about a whole host of others: Werner's little sister, Jutta, who is curious and clever; Marie-Laure's father, who builds intricate models of where they live for his blind daughter to learn her bearings; Frederick, Werner's friend, who is so pure and innocent, who just wants to learn about birds; Etienne, Marie-Laure's great uncle who cannot leave the house as he is haunted by a previous war.
It was such a touching novel. So beautiful, but so devastating at times. Highly highly recommend, especially if you enjoyed The Book Thief.
Do short stories count? :tongue: of course, they won't all be short stories as that really would be cheating, but I didn't realise that one book I read was basically 30 pages long, so read it in about 15 minutes. Most of my other ones will be full length books (including Game of Thrones!)
Ah this is such a cool idea :biggrin:
I'm aiming for 52+ but I'm quite behind just now but I'm aiming to make up for it over Summer etc when there's no schoolwork to slow me down

Currently Reading:
- Evelina by Fanny Burney - hilarious comedy of manners, with a plot line just as active as Burney's witticisms; characters are extremely melodramatic and somewhat one dimensional but that only adds to the wry critique of society Burney was putting forth - only half way through and I can already say it's definitely a new favourite of mine :h:

Read so Far:
- A Wild Swan and Other Tales by Michael Cunningham (5/5) - Phenomenal short story collection that retells classic fairy tales, but with a greater emphasis on characterisation - the one retelling the witch's perspective from Hansel and Gretel is particularly amazing

- Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (5/5) - Epic read spread across 6 different times, and 6 different genres, particularly loved Mitchell's manipulation of language - a literary feat!

- The Life and Death of Sophie Stark (4/5) - Contemporary literary fiction character study, but the character you are studying is only heard about through the voices of the 6 people she came closest to in her life: didn't enjoy how little we ended up getting to know Sophie Stark; but believe that perhaps that was the point?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending