The Student Room Group

RAF Filter Interview & OASC 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Posted from TSR Mobile

The subjects you study are irrelevant. What getting the specified grades show is that you have the attitude required to succeed at RAF training. As every subject requires dedication, perseverance and to be motivated. That's what they want to see. They don't care less what subjects they are in apart from general studies which they clearly state is not counted in the requirements section of the Pilot role.
Original post by Lekzz
The subjects you study are irrelevant. What getting the specified grades show is that you have the attitude required to succeed at RAF training. As every subject requires dedication, perseverance and to be motivated. That's what they want to see. They don't care less what subjects they are in apart from general studies which they clearly state is not counted in the requirements section of the Pilot role.

Hi again
Ok, thanks very much, I thought that would be the case, that they would be more interested in the commitment and dedication rather than the specific subjects. Thanks again, I just wanted to see what somebody who's actually in the RAF or who has gone through the process knows about the point I raised.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lekzz
Unfortunately you can't really practice aptitude testing, hence why they are called aptitude tests. They are designed to test innate ability to suggest whether or not you have the natural talent to flourish in the training needed for pilot and not be an unnecessary risk for training. I would only say you could really prepare for them by getting comfortable with speed, distance and time questions although during the test, the formula is given to you and the digits for the equations are always really simple so basic maths knowledge is sufficient.

I'd say you seem to have a very decent base of extra curricular activities but be careful about talking about so much sport related activities. yes it looks great, but they want to see a variety of skills, which you seem to have so that's good. What you now need to start thinking about is how you would use these experiences to answer questions such as " what have you done where you have had to be in a posistion of responsibility" Give me examples of when you have been in a leadership role and how you solved a problem). These need to be related to your activities.

Unfortunately, at 25, I was too old to apply as Pilot but I did manage to pass the application process for Aerospace Battle Manager and as the process is identical to Pilot, everything I'm saying is correct and up to date.

You know the age limit increased right? You can enter any time before your 26th birthday as a pilot
The subjects don't matter, but give some thought about what your plan b would be. They will ask you about it, should you get to the interview stage.

There is a reason why they tend not to get many 18yr olds in as officers.

Remember, you're applying to be a manager. A leader. You need to show that that's something you can do, that you have the potential of doing that in environments more challenging than anything you've faced. If they think you're not ready for that yet, what are you going to do in the meantime?
Be prepared to justify / explain that, they're very very different areas.

And yes, essentially. Most lack the life experience and maturity needed for the role. My educated guess would be that around 10-15% of officers are the 18/19yr old direct entrants.
Original post by Drewski
Be prepared to justify / explain that, they're very very different areas.

And yes, essentially. Most lack the life experience and maturity needed for the role. My educated guess would be that around 10-15% of officers are the 18/19yr old direct entrants.

Yes, I agree, I thought that the officer scheme was made for 18 year olds straight out of school and you could say that the target audience for officer in the RAF is 18/19, IF you are worthy of what they're looking for then your the ideal person for they want.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's made to be possible for 18yr olds, but that's not the same thing.
Studies have shown that you're at your peak for aptitude scores when you're around 22.
Most people starting on IOT are 21 or over.

Yes, 18/19 year old can join if they're good enough, but not many are.

It's important that you're aware of that and also take it in the manner it's intended - very rarely is a "no" answer permanent. It's normally a "not right not l now, come back in a year / two years / after you've gone to university".
(edited 8 years ago)
Entry into the Commissioned ranks is largely aimed at graduates. It's the same across all of the Armed Forces.
Reply 68
If I was in charge of interviewing you, this would be something I would focus on. You call it prepared, I'll play Devil's Advocate and say you have absolutely no idea what you want to do with your life, why would I want to spend hundreds of thousands of pounds in investment in your training when you don't really know if the RAF is something you want to do. You have such a wide variety of goals in life it seems which are not even vaguely similar, you want to be a musician but if that doesn't work out instantly you want to study History, and that's only if you can't be a pilot. It's almost as if you are just pulling professions out of a hat and applying for them 1 by 1. Like I said, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here, but if you find this uncomfortable, the boarding officers at OASC are going to eat you alive.

I'm not sure what it is but you do sound very young and a bit lost when you reply here. There is just something about your posts that give me the impression you might not be ready yet, but that's fine, at the moment you still are very young. Just make sure you do your research well and have university in your mind as a top priority if your application doesn't go as you'd want it to first time. Getting a degree is a huge step towards joining as an Officer. Your plan b of giving it all up so easily to become a musician really doesn't do anything but highlight you are either indecisive or the RAF really isn't a big deal for you. I think I've contributed what I can to this thread so I wish you the best of luck whatever you decided to do :smile:
Go to uni, study whatever you want to study, join a University Air Squadron while you are there. That way you get to see more of the RAF life, prepare yourself for possible application AND get your degree. WIN WIN
Reply 70
Hello all! I have my OASC date approaching and I wondered if anybody knows what the general discussion topics have been for 2016 so far? I previously attended OASC last year and it was handy knowing from others what the topics could be and also what the group planning exercise has been this year ! I know some of the guys who attended OASC with me last year had already seen the situation piece on this forum and that was a massive help for them.. Anybody who's attended OASC this year it would be a massive help!
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi guys.

Good thread!

I am also currently serving and have my OASC pt 2 date coming up.

I wondered if anyone has any practice planning exercises they could send my way please? Struggling to find anything on the internet which is relevant.

Many thanks in advance
Reply 72
Original post by Analyst1
Hello all! I have my OASC date approaching and I wondered if anybody knows what the general discussion topics have been for 2016 so far? I previously attended OASC last year and it was handy knowing from others what the topics could be and also what the group planning exercise has been this year ! I know some of the guys who attended OASC with me last year had already seen the situation piece on this forum and that was a massive help for them.. Anybody who's attended OASC this year it would be a massive help!

Im sorry but A big part of joining the Air Force is all about integrity. They ask and hope that all potential officers respect that core value and do not post on public forums the exact planning exercises used this year or the discussion topics as that is giving others unfair advantages.

People who have previously done this are not the type of people I want to work with. General advice is fine, asking for the exact situations so you can prepare them lacks integrity and is unacceptable.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 73
Original post by cyberfuzz86
Hi guys.

Good thread!

I am also currently serving and have my OASC pt 2 date coming up.

I wondered if anyone has any practice planning exercises they could send my way please? Struggling to find anything on the internet which is relevant.

Many thanks in advance

Decent book called planning exercises for the armed forces is available from multiple sources. It will give you an idea for how the problems are laid out and how the plan should look afterwards
Original post by Lekzz
Im sorry but A big part of joining the Air Force is all about integrity. They ask and hope that all potential officers respect that core value and do not post on public forums the exact planning exercises used this year or the discussion topics as that is giving others unfair advantages.

People who have previously done this are not the type of people I want to work with. General advice is fine, asking for the exact situations so you can prepare them lacks integrity and is unacceptable.

Totally agree. The point for OASC is to see how much you can find out on your own and how you can cope. It tests your ability to deal with questions and problems at very short notice. This is what makes a good officer, and to have the information beforehand defeats the purpose of OASC. They'll see through it anyway. I messed up on a few things along the way and thought I was a goner, but I was offered a place on IOT, probably due to my ability to deal with the problem objectively and look for a resolution without panicking or getting hung up on the problem. If you have potential, they will see it. I didn't even give them 5 topics on my international current affairs (I had changed them the night before but they weren't to know that) but I didn't let it phase me and I argued my opinion on the topic they chose, without letting the fact I forgot two bloody headlines affect me! That's what they're looking for. They want to see how you cope with problems, not how well you can prepare for something where you already have all the information.
Original post by Lekzz
Im sorry but A big part of joining the Air Force is all about integrity. They ask and hope that all potential officers respect that core value and do not post on public forums the exact planning exercises used this year or the discussion topics as that is giving others unfair advantages

My apologies but, it would appear our wires are crosses slightly and maybe some confusion as to what I meant.

I just wanted some planning exercises to practice (as the only one I have is the one OASC provide). Of course I am not expecting to have the exact exercises. Just something to work though in order to become quicker and more accurate at this type of thing.

Thanks
Reply 76
Original post by cyberfuzz86
My apologies but, it would appear our wires are crosses slightly and maybe some confusion as to what I meant.

I just wanted some planning exercises to practice (as the only one I have is the one OASC provide). Of course I am not expecting to have the exact exercises. Just something to work though in order to become quicker and more accurate at this type of thing.

Thanks

That response was not in relation to what you asked. That response was to the person I quoted. You have to pay more attention, especially if you're applying as an Officer. I believe I answered your question just under that reply. Incase you missed it, there is a good book called "planning exercises for the Armed Forces" check it out.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi all,

I'm going for Personnel Officer. Is any one else on the 'mature' side?! (I will be 30 in June) I'm prepared for the fact they will expect more from me - Interview & life experience wise/leadership. Apart from that I am hoping my age will be irrelevant.

I'm currently preparing for OASC, (I found a book by Richard McMunn very helpful) Is any one else attending on 17th April?

Thanks!
Hannah
Original post by Hannah7777
Hi all,

I'm going for Personnel Officer. Is any one else on the 'mature' side?! (I will be 30 in June) I'm prepared for the fact they will expect more from me - Interview & life experience wise/leadership. Apart from that I am hoping my age will be irrelevant.

I'm currently preparing for OASC, (I found a book by Richard McMunn very helpful) Is any one else attending on 17th April?

Thanks!
Hannah

Hi Hannah.

I'm on the same OASC with you and I am little more mature too!!

Happy to share any tips etc if you are
I think my years of watching The Crystal Maze will stand me in good stead.

Seriously though just prepare prepare prepare!

Be yourself, and not what you think a 'typical' officer should be, was the advice of officer friends.

Good luck all!

Hannah

Quick Reply

Latest