The Student Room Group

Feedback to Cambridge 2016

Hello everyone and congratulations to all who have received offers and commiserations to those who have not and best of luck (and apologies) to any who are still waiting.

Every year we have an internal review of the Admission round at Cambridge and last year I ran a thread to try to elicit some feedback on our processes from students who have gone through them. This thread is an attempt to do that again.

I am not in a position to provide feedback on your application or say why you didn't get in but rather this is an opportunity for you to say if there are things about the process that might be improved and which I can then feedback. I will also try to explain some things which might seem odd about the process.

The thread will be open for a week and I will then report back to my colleagues. Thank you for your points and also for the applications.

Scroll to see replies

A comment about the waiting periods.. I really appreciated the Cambridge reps like yourself staying online a lot and answering everyone's questions. I think everyone will agree it made the process a lot more relaxed and we felt more secure about where our applications were. Huge thanks
so sorry for being a prick and complaining about offers when i was very lucky to even receive one in the first place...
(edited 8 years ago)
If someone could create a FAQ page of all your answers, it could be very helpful for all future applicants.
I definitely think the policy of delaying giving out direct offers till pooled offers are ready is good, I would've hated finding out that I'd been pooled and having to wait to find if I'd been fished.
Original post by Student403
A comment about the waiting periods.. I really appreciated the Cambridge reps like yourself staying online a lot and answering everyone's questions. I think everyone will agree it made the process a lot more relaxed and we felt more secure about where our applications were. Huge thanks

Thank you. I know it can be a long waiting time, so i thought it would be good to hang around and keep answering queries.
Original post by imsoanonymous123
i have an s 1 offer and they A*ed my physics and i am grateful as this is better than not being an offer but why cant i get feedback just cuz i got accepted i know i obviously messed something up really badly to get this terrible offer I am fairly sure it is my interview but i want feedback anyway why does cambridge not give feedback to applicants with crappy offers

In general, we don't give feedback to offer holders as it takes a huge amount of time and effort to handle requests for feedback from unsuccessful applicants and we generally regard the offer letter as feedback enough.

The best thing to do in your situation, however, is to get your UCAS referee to contact the college - they might be willing to discuss and explain your case informally with them (something I have done in the past after having handed out stiff offers). In the end, however, it's up to the college but it's also up to you whether to accept the offer.
Original post by waqasabbasi
If someone could create a FAQ page of all your answers, it could be very helpful for all future applicants.

If someone wants to put together a set of FAQ, I'll try to give some template answers to them.
Original post by sweeneyrod
I definitely think the policy of delaying giving out direct offers till pooled offers are ready is good, I would've hated finding out that I'd been pooled and having to wait to find if I'd been fished.

TSR is responsible for this change, so you can thank your predecessor applicants! I agree, that it's a much more humane system now!
Reply 9
If I have received an offer, is there anything else that I should prepare for in the mean time before I do my course? i.e in the summer holidays before I start?

Couldn't be happier about receiving an offer btw :smile:
Original post by sweeneyrod

This.

Is there any way to minimise the number of re-interviews from pool so that as many people as possible get a decision on the same day?

The only other feedback I can think of is all colleges sending email decisions to everyone at the same time (to be followed by formal letter). It can be stressful for applicants to hear someone getting in when they are still stressed and worrying about their decision.
Original post by Dabo_26
If I have received an offer, is there anything else that I should prepare for in the mean time before I do my course? i.e in the summer holidays before I start?

Couldn't be happier about receiving an offer btw :smile:

Once your offer is confirmed, your DoS will usually contact you with a reading list or any preparation work. The best thing you can do between now and then is ensuring that you do as well as you can in your exams.
The only complaint I have about the admissions procedure is the unseen material in the interview. As a Law applicant, I was given a few definitions within the interview that I struggled to get my head around the first time I heard them, I think especially so as I was a bundle of nerves! For next year's interviews I would definitely recommend giving the definitions to candidates to refer back to, as I think this held me back fairly significantly. Overall though I found everyone to be extremely helpful and polite, just gutted that things didn't work out for me!
Original post by shamika
This.

Is there any way to minimise the number of re-interviews from pool so that as many people as possible get a decision on the same day?

The only other feedback I can think of is all colleges sending email decisions to everyone at the same time (to be followed by formal letter). It can be stressful for applicants to hear someone getting in when they are still stressed and worrying about their decision.

Thank you for your message. We have tried gradually to reduce the number of re-interviews, so now only around 250 of 16,000 applicants (c.1.5%) will have a pool interview. While we appreciate the inconvenience and stress, everyone who is called has a genuine and strong chance of an offer and we feel that is better than not offering at all.

Unfortunately, with the loss of UMS, we may find that the number of re-interviews starts to go up again as UMS often gave colleges the confidence to make offers straight from the pool rather than re-interview. We may have to be a bit more creative in the way that we re-interview (i.e. skype) but a number of colleges and subjects are resistant to this for understandable reasons.

I agree that all colleges emailing everyone on the same day would be an improvement. I think that we are gradually moving towards that situation but, as ever, when dealing with 29 separate colleges it can take time to get general agreement.
Original post by Christ's Admissions
Hello everyone and congratulations to all who have received offers and commiserations to those who have not and best of luck (and apologies) to any who are still waiting.

Every year we have an internal review of the Admission round at Cambridge and last year I ran a thread to try to elicit some feedback on our processes from students who have gone through them. This thread is an attempt to do that again.

I am not in a position to provide feedback on your application or say why you didn't get in but rather this is an opportunity for you to say if there are things about the process that might be improved and which I can then feedback. I will also try to explain some things which might seem odd about the process.

The thread will be open for a week and I will then report back to my colleagues. Thank you for your points and also for the applications.

Hello, welcome (officially) back! :smile:

One thing I've noticed virtually last few hours is that some colleges seems to have sent the decision letters by second class which caused serious (and unnecessary, I'd say) extra-stress for the applicants waiting for their result.
Considering the difference of first class and second class is not that significant (even for hundreds of letters they have to send) for famously wealthy Cambridge colleges, is it not possible from next year to ensure all posts are sent by first class?

Thank you very much for your continuous effort to fill the gap between Cambridge and applicants. :smile:
Original post by arian66
The only complaint I have about the admissions procedure is the unseen material in the interview. As a Law applicant, I was given a few definitions within the interview that I struggled to get my head around the first time I heard them, I think especially so as I was a bundle of nerves! For next year's interviews I would definitely recommend giving the definitions to candidates to refer back to, as I think this held me back fairly significantly. Overall though I found everyone to be extremely helpful and polite, just gutted that things didn't work out for me!

Thank you, it is good to be reminded that sometimes our explanations of words or phrases be forgotten because of nerves.
Original post by waqasabbasi

There's a similar one in OP of previous 2016 Applicant's thread which awesome @C0balt created, with lots of links to CAT's and other admission team of other colleges's past posts in this forum. It was made for that purpose. :wink:
For the most part I felt the whole process was very well designed and administered. The only (small) issue I had was with the request for written work - in my case two essays for PBS, but I imagine it applies to some other subjects too.

For my A level Psychology course (OCR), we don't write essays as such - there is structured writing in the exams, but given the time constraints it's very different to writing an essay, and a lot of teachers don't set essays at all because they're just not useful exam preparation. The guidance for submitting essays did say that other written work could be substituted, but I thought it left it quite unclear as to what would be acceptable. I ended up submitting the answers I'd written for two classroom tests because that was all I had, and I really wasn't sure at the time whether it would be acceptable or not!

Perhaps it would be more useful if the guidance issued was subject-specific, and took into account what kind of work students are likely to be doing already?

Again, I stress that this is a small issue and on the whole everything went very smoothly - not least of all thanks to your support on TSR!
Original post by vincrows
Hello, welcome (officially) back! :smile:

One thing I've noticed virtually last few hours is that some colleges seems to have sent the decision letters by second class which caused serious (and unnecessary, I'd say) extra-stress for the applicants waiting for their result.
Considering the difference of first class and second class is not that significant (even for hundreds of letters they have to send) for famously wealthy Cambridge colleges, is it not possible from next year to ensure all posts are sent by first class?

Thank you very much for your continuous effort to fill the gap between Cambridge and applicants. :smile:

Thank you! Yes, a bit odd that colleges are sending letters second class. I'll see what I can do.
Original post by Mostly_Crazy
For the most part I felt the whole process was very well designed and administered. The only (small) issue I had was with the request for written work - in my case two essays for PBS, but I imagine it applies to some other subjects too.

For my A level Psychology course (OCR), we don't write essays as such - there is structured writing in the exams, but given the time constraints it's very different to writing an essay, and a lot of teachers don't set essays at all because they're just not useful exam preparation. The guidance for submitting essays did say that other written work could be substituted, but I thought it left it quite unclear as to what would be acceptable. I ended up submitting the answers I'd written for two classroom tests because that was all I had, and I really wasn't sure at the time whether it would be acceptable or not!

Perhaps it would be more useful if the guidance issued was subject-specific, and took into account what kind of work students are likely to be doing already?

Again, I stress that this is a small issue and on the whole everything went very smoothly - not least of all thanks to your support on TSR!

Thank you. I agree that it can be difficult in some subjects to know what should be sent. The best bet if not sure is to ask, but we will certainly try to make things clearer on our pages about what we want.

Latest

Trending

Trending