The Student Room Group

Placements thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jacob1208
I study at Northumbria University and it is a compulsory part of my degree.

Thanks man, i've applied for Northumbria! What course are you on?
Original post by Caltaittt
Thanks man, i've applied for Northumbria! What course are you on?

I do international Business Management . It's a great city, I'd fully recommend it
Reply 22
Original post by InadequateJusticex
What industry did/do you work in?
I'm a chemistry student, but I have somehow ended up working for a (predominantly) engineering company (but the stuff I'm doing is, I would say, borderline chemistry/chemical engineering).

Did/do you enjoy it?
Truly? No. Whoops. Although bits of work can be fun (i.e. getting to work with liquid nitrogen on a regular basis, learning how to operate some really cool machines, etc), I am counting the days until I finish in August. (8 months to go.)

But, admittedly, I was blinded by the desire to have a placement, even though I knew full well the stuff I would be doing is not an area of chemistry that I was particularly interested in. This is further exacerbated by the fact that I have to get up at half six every morning :frown:

Did/do you miss university?
YES. This year has made me realise how easy I had it as a student and I'm absolutely glad I have one last year to spend as a student before I enter the world of work.

Would you recommend doing a placement year to anyone else?
Yes - but only if you're at least fairly interested in the work that you will be doing. But despite my depressing post about my placement year, I'm glad I'm doing it - not just for the money, or the experience (which I know will help for interviews), but I feel that the rapid transition from university life to full-time work has forced me to mature more quickly and it has improved my work ethic and my overall attitude to life.

Hi I am a chemistry applicant thats planning to do a BSc in chemistry then a masters in chemical engineering. What type of job are you trying to land after uni
?
Original post by Guls
Hi I am a chemistry applicant thats planning to do a BSc in chemistry then a masters in chemical engineering. What type of job are you trying to land after uni
?

Ideally a role as an organic chemist or something similar :smile: Which unis are you applying to?
Reply 24
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Ideally a role as an organic chemist or something similar :smile: Which unis are you applying to?

Cool ,that job aint that half bad. I have applied to Birmingham, Sheffield, Nottingham, Keele and Leciester. Ive got replies from all of them but Brum. Still dont know which one to go to. What uni are you at?
Original post by Guls
Cool ,that job aint that half bad. I have applied to Birmingham, Sheffield, Nottingham, Keele and Leciester. Ive got replies from all of them but Brum. Still dont know which one to go to. What uni are you at?

Not the highest paid but I reckon I won't enjoy anything else more than it :tongue:

I'm at Bristol. I would say out of that list Nottingham is (most likely) the best - followed by Sheffield/Birmingham, Leicester then Keele.
Anyone know some banks/financial firms that offer 12 month placement years apart from GS/UBS and the big4? Trying to break into IB, and struggling to find one that won't clash with summer internship times
Does anyone know of any companies that are hiring for placements abroad?
Original post by cathrg26
Anyone know some banks/financial firms that offer 12 month placement years apart from GS/UBS and the big4? Trying to break into IB, and struggling to find one that won't clash with summer internship times

A lot of them do, more so in back office (not helpful if you want to do FO) or S&T/Research.

I've seen a few Bath students land 6 month gigs at PE firms and some off-cycle internships at the various IBs. Shop around Linkedin and speak to former placement students.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
A lot of them do, more so in back office (not helpful if you want to do FO) or S&T/Research.

I've seen a few Bath students land 6 month gigs at PE firms and some off-cycle internships at the various IBs. Shop around Linkedin and speak to former placement students.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks very much! I'll check out LinkedIn
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by anita-573
Hi :smile:

I have a potential summer placement but the supervisor wants to call me and I'm worried it may be some sort of telephone interview as i havent been told what its about. It could be just providing more info but im not sure. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it'd be very freaky for them to spring a telephone interview on you for that particular call that they want to make. People I know who have telephone interviews usually get an email (though I guess a preliminary phone call would be another way) saying that the telephone interview will be at this time and for this long..

I know it can be nerve wracking, but it really shouldn't be anything too complicated or even a telephone interview so just keep a cool head, be polite and sensible and you should be fine. :h:
Thank you for the advice ill try not to worry
Reply 33
I'm a pharmacology student and my industry was in the pharmaceutical research industry MRC medical research council

Did/do you enjoy it?
YES! Best experience of my life. one of the highest (if not highest) paying industrial placements around (across any field), brilliant people, brilliant really cutting edge scientific research in drug discovery i was working on that is still 1.5yrs on going successful! More money.. TIME omdz i had time like never before. as a student life is all about lectures, coursework, exams etc and you have to study in the evenings. But working is a new freedom!!

So yes, i had a good group of close friends and i really did miss them for at least first three month (it does take a few months to adjust to the new lifestyle). But after the adjustment period you become a scientist, enjoy the perks and move on.. some time or another you have to leave your friends and you just do it one year early to get ahead of everyone else.

100%
It gives u 1) a good break from studies so u can come back to final year and really bang it out, plus no friends to distract u 2) money to pay your fees and ease burdens and splash out a little more c) EXPERIENCE so this year landed me a PhD straight after my graduation in one of the top scientific research fields at a top university
Original post by annony
I'm a pharmacology student and my industry was in the pharmaceutical research industry MRC medical research council

Did/do you enjoy it?
YES! Best experience of my life. one of the highest (if not highest) paying industrial placements around (across any field), brilliant people, brilliant really cutting edge scientific research in drug discovery i was working on that is still 1.5yrs on going successful! More money.. TIME omdz i had time like never before. as a student life is all about lectures, coursework, exams etc and you have to study in the evenings. But working is a new freedom!!

So yes, i had a good group of close friends and i really did miss them for at least first three month (it does take a few months to adjust to the new lifestyle). But after the adjustment period you become a scientist, enjoy the perks and move on.. some time or another you have to leave your friends and you just do it one year early to get ahead of everyone else.

100%
It gives u 1) a good break from studies so u can come back to final year and really bang it out, plus no friends to distract u 2) money to pay your fees and ease burdens and splash out a little more c) EXPERIENCE so this year landed me a PhD straight after my graduation in one of the top scientific research fields at a top university

Awesome, glad to hear that :h: and congrats on your PhD offer :h:
I am a biology/science technician at a FE college. Unfortunately I am not getting paid, however, I understand as it is a college not a company! Did/do you enjoy it?
Yes, I'm really enjoying it! It's nice to be able to work as part of a team rather than for my own benefit the whole time. Did/do you miss university?
I don't miss the exams and assignments but I do miss my friends, clubs/societies and the freedom of having a regular bus service (when the bus only comes every 4 hours life becomes very difficult)!
Yes, definitely!
Reply 36
I have a telephone interview for the Sainsburys analyst placement on Friday, what sort of questions can I expect?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest