The Student Room Group

I got a U in one of my AS levels, will university turn me down?

Scroll to see replies

For everyone saying they don't have to know about your U:

UCAS regulations require that you include ALL qualifications you've entered for, INCLUDING those which didn't result in a certification (i.e. you got a U). Lying about this could be very risky, since universities may well ask to see proof of your results (I know at least two of my choices do), and if you got a grade in something else from the same exam board then you may not be able to avoid showing them. Do it at your own risk.
Nope, they take your 3 highest grades. If it helps any I applied to uni with my AS grades having retaken year 12. So I got EEUU + ABC in AS, the last 3 being from my retake year in different subjects.

I got 4/4 offers - 2 from Cardiff, Birmingham and Aberystwyth.

Best of luck :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by emiloujess
Nope, they take your 3 highest grades. If it helps any I applied to uni with my AS grades having retaken year 12. So I got EEUU + ABC in AS, the last 3 being from my retake year in different subjects.

I got 4/4 offers - 2 from Cardiff, Birmingham and Aberystwyth.

Best of luck :smile:

im doing as physics a level maths and a diploma in applied science
i got c in as physics and im predicted B in maths and distinction star in applied science (a*) and predicted the d* for my second year and the unis said they will count at my C grade in as physics towards my ucas points
Original post by kaplu
im doing as physics a level maths and a diploma in applied science
i got c in as physics and im predicted B in maths and distinction star in applied science (a*) and predicted the d* for my second year and the unis said they will count at my C grade in as physics towards my ucas points

I meant 3 highest A-Level grades if it's a subject asking for solid grades. Unis asking for UCAS points are different as some of them will accept AS Levels towards your points total.
Don't worry you'll be ok

My sister got a U too and she still got offers

Apart from the U grade your grades are perfectly fine, you'll get offers

Don't lose hope! You'll be fine :biggrin:
Reply 45
Original post by ComputerMaths97
I think the bigger problem is how on earth did you get a U? Did you spend a year doing absolutely nothing, then purposely not answer any questions in the exam?

Savage

lol
I love how TSR is 95% really caring supportive people being like "Don't worry a U is fine, I know someone with a U that got offers!" And the other 5% is realistic people, knowing that a U is going to do you no favours, especially when applying to any decent Uni. But, as we know, you can go to uni with something silly like CCD so I guess 1 U can't be that bad.
I know people are being harsh but it's true. Idk how anyone manages to get a U. Especially across 2 or 3 exams. 1 flopping 1 module is more understandable i guess. For example my maths was

C1: A
C2: A
D1: U (still don't know how)

But i can't imagine putting in work for an entire year then averaging a U across all your modules. It just doesn't make sense. Everyone i know who got a U didn't try at all despite thinking they did.

But to answer your question, yes you can get offers. If the rest are fine then it won't matter too much. But it also depends on the uni and course

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending