The Student Room Group

Medium Level Universities for Computer Science

I'm from outside UK, living in EU with over-all grades around 6-7 / 10 (UK entry requirements don't really make sense in my country).

I'm obviously not going to get into very good university so I'm having trouble choosing university which would accept me and is decent for Computer Science course.

Really appreciate any help, thanks in advance
Reply 1
Could you tell me which country you're from? I could research it and see if I can find equivalents since I was in a similar situation before. Then look at the better uni's that would accept those grades.

I hope you're planning to apply for next year or have everything else sorted already cause otherwise you're pretty last minute here haha
Reply 2
Original post by Fenrir.
I'm from outside UK, living in EU with over-all grades around 6-7 / 10 (UK entry requirements don't really make sense in my country).

I'm obviously not going to get into very good university so I'm having trouble choosing university which would accept me and is decent for Computer Science course.

Really appreciate any help, thanks in advance

If you could afford it, you could probably do a Foundation Year at a top Uni, even with mediocre grades, be wary though - some Unis will only accept Foundation applicants IF the subjects they do are irrelevant to CS but with high grades (yet other unis allow low grades in relevant subjects).
Reply 3
Original post by Devify
Could you tell me which country you're from? I could research it and see if I can find equivalents since I was in a similar situation before. Then look at the better uni's that would accept those grades.

I hope you're planning to apply for next year or have everything else sorted already cause otherwise you're pretty last minute here haha

I'm from Lithuania, yeah I pretty much got everything sorted out expect for few universities, wondering If I could get into Manchester Metropolitan ?
Reply 4
Original post by Fenrir.
I'm from Lithuania, yeah I pretty much got everything sorted out expect for few universities, wondering If I could get into Manchester Metropolitan ?

Ohh same here (hope you don't mind if I write in English so other people can understand me too), although I left after 10th grade and did a college course first.

Give me a few and I'll see if can find the information.
Reply 5
Original post by Devify
Ohh same here (hope you don't mind if I write in English so other people can understand me too), although I left after 10th grade and did a college course first.

Give me a few and I'll see if can find the information.

Nice, I don't mind it at all, thanks for support
Reply 6
Original post by Fenrir.
Nice, I don't mind it at all, thanks for support

Okay, well 6/7 would be about a C at A levels according to the internet so you may get an offer from them if you apply. Unfortunately Lithuanian grades are really badly compared to English ones.

When I came here they put me in foundation maths which is just like 8th grade equivalent exams. I showed my teacher stuff I've learned at school and she said some of it was university level. They put me in GCSE which is like 10th grade ones and I breezed through with an A*.

Have you though about applying for foundation year? Basically you take an extra year and spend it covering the basic information they will expect you to know. It would help with the coursework later on and you could get into a better uni because they allow you to take it with worse grades and then automatically admit you to the actual degree level if you pass it.
Reply 7
Original post by Devify
Okay, well 6/7 would be about a C at A levels according to the internet so you may get an offer from them if you apply. Unfortunately Lithuanian grades are really badly compared to English ones.

When I came here they put me in foundation maths which is just like 8th grade equivalent exams. I showed my teacher stuff I've learned at school and she said some of it was university level. They put me in GCSE which is like 10th grade ones and I breezed through with an A*.

Have you though about applying for foundation year? Basically you take an extra year and spend it covering the basic information they will expect you to know. It would help with the coursework later on and you could get into a better uni because they allow you to take it with worse grades and then automatically admit you to the actual degree level if you pass it.

I haven't thought about foundation year and have done zero research about it, would you mind explaining how do you take it ? I'm very tempted by it because I would really prefer good uni. How do you apply and is it like school basically all over again ? Does each university have they own foundation year or how does it work ? :angelblush:
Reply 8
Original post by Fenrir.
I haven't thought about foundation year and have done zero research about it, would you mind explaining how do you take it ? I'm very tempted by it because I would really prefer good uni. How do you apply and is it like school basically all over again ? Does each university have they own foundation year or how does it work ? :angelblush:

If you want I could add you on Facebook or Skype and we can talk easier and I can answer all your questions that way? Would be faster. You can just send me the info as a private message or we can continue here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Devify
If you want I could add you on Facebook or Skype and we can talk easier and I can answer all your questions that way? Would be faster

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah sure, I'll PM you my skype

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending