The Student Room Group

US Soccer Scholarships

Hi everyone. I was wondering whether I was too late to sign up for trials for US soccer scholarships. Apparently according to the websites I have looked into you have to ideally be 16 and if not just 17 to be able to take a trial. Yes I am 17, but quite a way into my 17th year so I don't really know if I am allowed to try out. If any one is familiar with the US soccer scholarships any advise and help would be much appreciated! Thanks.
(edited 8 years ago)
US players generally apply about the middle of their last year in high school. I worked with a top player who just needed to get his ACT scores high enough for eligibility and they would take him the summer before school started. Don't know if there may be more paperwork for international students. However, if you are good enough for the team and meet the academic requirements for the school and general academic requirements to play Division I, deadlines should not be that much of an issue. With a team sport like soccer/football and not having US high school results, it may be harder for them to tell how good you are from looking at stats. Not sure about signing up for formal trials, but the coaches should be interested if you play at the level they are looking for.
Original post by mathplustutornj
US players generally apply about the middle of their last year in high school. I worked with a top player who just needed to get his ACT scores high enough for eligibility and they would take him the summer before school started. Don't know if there may be more paperwork for international students. However, if you are good enough for the team and meet the academic requirements for the school and general academic requirements to play Division I, deadlines should not be that much of an issue. With a team sport like soccer/football and not having US high school results, it may be harder for them to tell how good you are from looking at stats. Not sure about signing up for formal trials, but the coaches should be interested if you play at the level they are looking for.

Cheers for the help by the way is there any difference between ACT and SATS?
Original post by ChicharitoMUFC
Cheers for the help by the way is there any difference between ACT and SATS?

ACT includes science whereas SAT is only verbal and mathematics (they tossed the writing section recently). Historically, central & southern US favored the ACT, whereas the East and West coasts favor taking the SAT. Universities will accept scores from either.

If possible, get some footage of you playing and cut it up to send to school coaches. For American football, this usually is how recruits come to the attention of coaches.

I also recommend registering for the NCAA Clearinghouse.

Just as a heads up - Ivy League schools do not offer scholarships to incoming athletes. Stanford doesn't have a track history of reducing academic requirements for students either.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by zombiejon
ACT includes science whereas SAT is only verbal and mathematics (they tossed the writing section recently). Historically, central & southern US favored the ACT, whereas the East and West coasts favor taking the SAT. Universities will accept scores from either.

If possible, get some footage of you playing and cut it up to send to school coaches. For American football, this usually is how recruits come to the attention of coaches.

I also recommend registering for the NCAA Clearinghouse.

Just as a heads up - Ivy League schools do not offer scholarships to incoming athletes. Stanford doesn't have a track history of reducing academic requirements for students either.

Thanks, and so are you saying that I should send videos rather than go to showcase events etc, or should I do that in addition?
Original post by ChicharitoMUFC
Thanks, and so are you saying that I should send videos rather than go to showcase events etc, or should I do that in addition?

Ideally, you would go to a showcase event and send footage. Not all coaches are have the funding or time to go to a showcase event, so they rely upon videos, word of mouth, and communication with your own coaches.

Since you aren't in the continental US, the next best option is to send out videos.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending