The Student Room Group

Bulking up but want to start Swimming.

Hello all,

Two and a bit months ago I was underweight. I have put a whole stone on since I started working out a little and eating more. I wish to continue my increasing mass trend but keep body fat as low as it is now. I am pretty sure I will be fine doing what I am doing now but I really enjoy swimming and haven't been in years.

However. I am worried as swimming is mainly cardio and aerobic I will lose weight or at least have a negative effect on my increasing rate trend I have at the moment.

What are your thoughts on this?
Thanks.
You can still enjoy swimming. Just make sure that you don't do it with too much intensity, because it will add to the recovery process duration from resistance training.

If you do it as a recreation, then it is absolutely fine. Also, add the extra required Calories in your daily menu.
Reply 2
Swim as intensively as you like, just out eat it. Use a tracker to get a good guess of how many calories you burnt and eat that extra- if you struggle then I'd go for nuts/peanut butter or drinking it.

It's low impact, you're bulking and people are capable of more training than we often assume. It might not be perfectly optimal but the odds of it being a problem are pretty low and if you feel it is then you just reduce the swimming a bit. Also, for your health, cardio is a pretty good idea
Thanks for the help you guys :smile:
As long as you have enough days off of intense activity per week and you're getting the calories in, you'll be fine. If you're swimming once or twice a week and training three days a week then you've still got 2-3 rest days per week, and if the swimming is low intensity it can actually aid recovery by getting the blood flowing round the body.

Quick Reply

Latest