The Student Room Group

To Med Students or Prospective Med Students (from a junior doc)

Hi, my name is Dr Ben White. I'm a registrar in Gastroenterology and GIM. I've become more and more involved in the #juniordoctors campaign, helping get the choir to Xmas No1, and fighting back against the spin in the media.

I want to let you all know, and I speak for myself and any other doc I've spoken to: we got you.

You guys are the future of medicine and we need your caring, smart bods.

Don't be disillusioned - yes it's a bit of a dark time at the moment, but we will come out of this stronger together.

Find me on twitter @protocoidriven if you want to ask any questions, or join in.

fist2.jpg
Hi Ben

I'd like to know, are you considering leaving the UK to work abroad and get away from this mess that the Tory government has left the NHS in?

And why/why not?
Most of us are considering it, yes, but will fight damn hard to make sure this thing doesn't go through.
Do you share my concern over the formation of private medical schools?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Honestly I hadn't thought about that, but it is a pretty worrying thought. What do you mean exactly?
Original post by ProtocolDriven
Honestly I hadn't thought about that, but it is a pretty worrying thought. What do you mean exactly?

I believe the first private medical school takes in its first students next year. The fees are extortionate and the academic requirements lower. It's immune to medical student number caps and I believe it is applying for all the graduations to put them level with state universities. The question obviously is will medicine become a no go for people from poorer backgrounds.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by That Bearded Man
I believe the first private medical school takes in its first students next year. The fees are extortionate and the academic requirements lower. It's immune to medical student number caps and I believe it is applying for all the graduations to put them level with state universities. The question obviously is will medicine become a no go for people from poorer backgrounds.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Buckingham uni has already taken its first cohort of students, the second one will be starting this month.

I can't say I'm a huge fan of private medical schools, but I don't think it's going to become a big enough issue to affect applications from people from poorer backgrounds.
Original post by Helenia
Buckingham uni has already taken its first cohort of students, the second one will be starting this month.

I can't say I'm a huge fan of private medical schools, but I don't think it's going to become a big enough issue to affect applications from people from poorer backgrounds.

Agree. Don't think it is ever going to be a serious issue, Especially when even at present a foreign (EU) student can apply for foundation programme.

I think students attending those unis will be exteremely switched on about getting value for money as well. Despite the fact that even on a non-private uni course your fees will be 9k per year.
Reply 8
Hi,

I'm looking at studying Medicine in Bulgaria, I was wondering if you know if there is any extra difficulties posed with returning to continue training F2 I believe...

Any information on this would be amazing. Thank you in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
what's the issue if these courses are fully accredited and operate in addition to publicly funded courses?
Original post by endzone123
what's the issue if these courses are fully accredited and operate in addition to publicly funded courses?

Because they are aimed at students who can afford to pay for them, if this continued as a theme you'd look at employment rates falling.
Because they are aimed at students who can afford to pay for them, if this continued as a theme you'd look at employment rates falling.

and? they are taking a risk with their own money. if they pass, they will be as qualified as any other medical graduate.
Original post by Anonymous
and? they are taking a risk with their own money. if they pass, they will be as qualified as any other medical graduate.

A) isn't confirmed actually

My point is that uni degrees should be tied to employability - all medical graduates or the vast majority should be employed, by creating more demand you'll now look at creating unemployed doctors.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you think it's possible that the imposition will not go ahead? And if it does how will it be accepted by junior docs? Will it ever lead to a full on strike where even emergency care is abandoned?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending