The Student Room Group

If I choose this as Firm, should I choose this as Insurance too?

Deadline for all decisions for me is Thurs 3rd May 2007.:p: Hence the exclamation mark for urgency!

I've decided on my Firm Uni and I was wondering whether I should put a University as insurance too. The thing that makes this a little bit different is that the Uni that I'm going to put for Firm University, has the lower offer to get in than the Insurance Uni. So by putting down the second Uni with the higher grades, it wont be useful for anything because of my first choice having the lower grades to get in, but I was thinking of putting it as second choice nonetheless, just because I want to somehow show that I feel that it was a lovely place and am grateful for having an offer from there. So it would be nicer than rejecting it completely. The reason why second choice isn't first choice is because of the modules on offer for the course I want to do. Apart from that, it is great.

So shall I put down the second uni with the higher offer as second choice as it doesn't really matter either way? Or shall I just ony have a Firm choice?

And do you think that the ppl at UCAS and my Firm choice of Uni will giggle at me based on the order of accepting offers from a grades point of view? And would they think I had got the order the wrong way around, and ask me to reaffirm my decisions?

Thank-you,

Elements xXx
Reply 1
It doesn't matter. If you don't make our Firm, it's highly unlikely that you'll make the Insurance, so there's not really a practical reason to put down an Insurance. Either way, the outcome will be the same. I don't think UCAS will giggle at you either. And I'm not sure that they scrutinize the decisions of everyone (or even look at them), so I don't think UCAS will interfere if you put down your Insurance. You might as well.
Reply 2
UCAS and your second choice uni wont care either way what u have, or dont have, as your insurance.

the only practical reason for doing it would be that if u missed your firm grades and they wouldn't accept you, and your insurance uni had places, there is a v slim possibility your insurance uni might take you.

there is no harm in having it as your insurance.
I don't think the second uni will really care whether you have them as insurance or decline them because either way, it still means there's little chance of you actually ending up there. UCAS won't care either. Personally I wouldn't bother with an insurance unless there's a uni asking for lower grades that you'd be happy to go to becaus it just seems pointless in your situation, but you can if you want.
Reply 4
What course, what grades, which unis?
Reply 5
BSc Geography

Leicester: B in Geography, 300 points
Southampton: A in Geography, ABB
I've done that! My firm wants CC and my insurance wants ABC.Why did I bother? Why not?!
Reply 7
Quite honestly, since your insurance has specified a higher grade for your subject than your firm, I wouldn't have thought there was any point in having the insurance. Both Leicester and Southampton had geography courses in Clearing last year - which makes it just as likely that Leicester would take you if you missed your offer, so no need for an insurance anyway. If you missed the Leicester offer by getting a C in geography there's little chance that Southampton would accept it if Leicester won't, especially as the overall offer is ABB rather than BBB equivalent.

Latest

Trending

Trending