The Student Room Group

How do you revise for A Level maths?

Hi,
I'm currently studying for my A2 Edexcel maths (retaking all of AS, I feel confident on AS now). I am clueless on how to revise the actual content and methods in the A2 course, I don't find the school's textbooks useful and usually have no idea where to start when revising.
I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem and how they tackled it. How do I revise before I can do past papers properly? Any tips on where to start?

Thanks
Reply 1
You could try doing the mixed exercise of each chapter in the text book just to check you're understanding (as it should cover everything that was learnt in the chapter). If you get them all right, there's no need to spend time revising it, and you can move on to the next chapter's mixed exercise.

If you got some wrong, you could either go back and read the chapter in the text book, or (as you don't find the textbook useful) you could look for some online resources, e.g., khan academy.

Once you've done them all, you can start past papers. There are a lot, so you can practise to your heart's content. If you're stuck on a specific exam question, you could check out the examsolutions guy, who posts full solutions to papers. And if you want to try slightly harder questions which relate to the same material, you could look at Solomon papers.
I would highly recommend ExamSolutions, just google it. For my A Level maths this site helped me get an A (so close to A* but I under performed on C3) and it was easy with the help the man gives, and it's all free.
Reply 3
Original post by Telllo
You could try doing the mixed exercise of each chapter in the text book just to check you're understanding (as it should cover everything that was learnt in the chapter). If you get them all right, there's no need to spend time revising it, and you can move on to the next chapter's mixed exercise.

If you got some wrong, you could either go back and read the chapter in the text book, or (as you don't find the textbook useful) you could look for some online resources, e.g., khan academy.

Once you've done them all, you can start past papers. There are a lot, so you can practise to your heart's content. If you're stuck on a specific exam question, you could check out the examsolutions guy, who posts full solutions to papers. And if you want to try slightly harder questions which relate to the same material, you could look at Solomon papers.

Thanks. I'll do that. Do you have any reccome datioms on what you think are the hardest topics that I should put the most time into (obviously integration, but any others?)?
Reply 4
Original post by kabtastick
I would highly recommend ExamSolutions, just google it. For my A Level maths this site helped me get an A (so close to A* but I under performed on C3) and it was easy with the help the man gives, and it's all free.

Congrats on your A!! I used ES on-and-off theoughout AS and found it helpful but he didn't adress some of my issues, but I'll be sure to try it again. Thanks.
Reply 5
I can't remember which areas I found especially difficult (it was a couple of years ago I did A levels!), but either way, what I find hard may be different from you. If you skim the mixed exercises, you'll quickly be able to see what areas are particularly tricky for you.

Good luck!
Reply 6
Original post by Telllo
I can't remember which areas I found especially difficult (it was a couple of years ago I did A levels!), but either way, what I find hard may be different from you. If you skim the mixed exercises, you'll quickly be able to see what areas are particularly tricky for you.

Good luck!

Thanks so much! I'll definitely try ASAP :smile: :smile: :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest