The Student Room Group

dont want to wear a burqa

basically I normally waer clothes that are modest but not Islamic and now my mums having a go at me for not wearing a burqa and she keeps on saying it. I said no a thousand times what do I do?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
basically I normally waer clothes that are modest but not Islamic and now my mums having a go at me for not wearing a burqa and she keeps on saying it. I said no a thousand times what do I do?

Just tell her your not ready, or just listen to her. Maybe meet half way and suggest to her that you'd rather wear Hijab and Abaya ( if you don't already) than covering your face.

Just waiting for people now to say that the Hijab is oppression :clap2::clap2::clap2:
Reply 2
Original post by mkap
Just tell her your not ready, or just listen to her. Maybe meet half way and suggest to her that you'd rather wear Hijab and Abaya ( if you don't already) than covering your face.

Just waiting for people now to say that the Hijab is oppression :clap2::clap2::clap2:

no I meant abaya but I say burqa I don't want to wear one because I don't see the point im not doing anything wrong and I don't want to meet her half way because she barely knows anything about islam but she acts like she knows everything by the way im south asian
Reply 3
no I meant abaya but I say burqa I don't want to wear one because I don't see the point im not doing anything wrong and I don't want to meet her half way because she barely knows anything about islam but she acts like she knows everything by the way im south asian

I am south Asian too. I know what the pressures are of a girl from an asian family. At the end of the day you have to understand that she wants you to wear the abaya bc she wants to protect you, she's not doing it out of spite. She might not know anything about Islam but she still is your mother and she wants the best for you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by mkap
I am south Asian too. I know what the pressures are of a girl from an avian family. At the end of the day you have to understand that she wants you to wear the abaya bc she wants to protect you, she's not doing it out of spite. She might not know anything about Islam but she still is your mother and she wants the best for you.

I don't think she does (this is true by the way) she stopped my sister from doing a levels to become a doctor she prayed to god for my brother to get rejected from oxford and he got 4 A* in a levels. so I don't think she does plus shes always commenting on how ugly we all are. the only time shes nice is when she wants money. (sorry for ranting) I don't want to wear one because its my choice not hers I mean im allowed to do everything and I know im lucky cuz I know a lot of people who aren't allowed to go to the corner shop. but it just annoys me that she thinks its her choice
Reply 5
I don't think she does (this is true by the way) she stopped my sister from doing a levels to become a doctor she prayed to god for my brother to get rejected from oxford and he got 4 A* in a levels. so I don't think she does plus shes always commenting on how ugly we all are. the only time shes nice is when she wants money. (sorry for ranting) I don't want to wear one because its my choice not hers I mean im allowed to do everything and I know im lucky cuz I know a lot of people who aren't allowed to go to the corner shop. but it just annoys me that she thinks its her choice

Yeah i understand you. I don't know what advice to give bc i've never been in that situation.
I agree how is it like when you are having a one to one conversation does your mum listen to you?
Tell her how you feel about it, tell her how much you love her and respect her and how much you love Islam tell her that islam doesn't force anyone to do anything and use the example of prophet Muhammed SAW. The main thing is you need to be able to communicate and be open☺️
Also turn to Allah swt and pour your heart out tell him your problems, I pray Allah swt makes situations easier for you sister💜
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending