The Student Room Group

Oxbridge applicants/students - help me with me essay?

Hi there

So basically, I'm doing an essay on Oxbridge candidates and applicants, and to see if there's a trend in the type of people that are accepted.

If you applied to Oxford or Cambridge, can you just tell me where you're from and whether you got accepted or not?

It'd be a massive help, thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by eleanorduffy98
Hi there

So basically, I'm doing an essay on Oxbridge candidates and applicants, and to see if there's a trend in the type of people that are accepted.

If you applied to Oxford or Cambridge, can you just tell me where you're from and whether you got accepted or not?

Speak to @L'Evil Fish :wink:

Although, what do you mean by "type"...? And how will identify a "trend"...?

Anyway, the main common factor is academic strength.
Hi there

From Walesssss, got in, but we're a rare breed it must be said.
Hi there

By from, I assume you mean where I live now. I live in Manchester. I've been given a conditional offer. I'll be accepted in August if I meet those conditions)

Originally I'm from London. Applied for Cambridge and in terms of demographics, I'm 20 and black Caribbean and attended an independent state VI form college for my A levels. I'm an applicant applying after a gap year.
I'd suggest you go and look at the Oxford and Cambridge websites individually and find the page that shows you applicant statistics. It will break it down for you in terms of location, type of school attended etc.

In terms of my application, I got accepted at Oxford, am from London and went to a private secondary school, and I applied post-A level (gap year)
Reply 5
Original post by L'Evil Fish

LOL - actualy I tagged you because of your article on a similar topic... :wink:
Just cause from what a few people have said to me, they felt they would never get into Oxbridge due to their age: I just turned 31 and have an offer from Oxford. I went to an OK state school in the South West, but was born in London and now live in France. So pretty non-standard, I guess.

But I do have a double-barreled surname (O'Brien) :biggrin:
Reply 7

I'm an American undergraduate at Oxford. A truly rare breed
Original post by jneill
Speak to @L'Evil Fish :wink:

Although, what do you mean by "type"...? And how will identify a "trend"...?

Anyway, the main common factor is academic strength.

Basically, there have been talks recently suggesting that you only get into Oxford/Cambridge if you're from a certain part of the country/financial background/class, so I'm just seeing to what extent this is a valid point or not

Thanks for replying!

congratulations!
Thanks for replying 😁
Original post by keromedic
By from, I assume you mean where I live now. I live in Manchester. I've been given a conditional offer. I'll be accepted in August if I meet those conditions)

Originally I'm from London. Applied for Cambridge and in terms of demographics, I'm 20 and black Caribbean and attended an independent state VI form college for my A levels. I'm an applicant applying after a gap year.

Congratulations! I'm sure you'll meet your conditions :smile:
Thanks for replying!
Help with my essay. :smile:
Original post by MouseyBrown
Just cause from what a few people have said to me, they felt they would never get into Oxbridge due to their age: I just turned 31 and have an offer from Oxford. I went to an OK state school in the South West, but was born in London and now live in France. So pretty non-standard, I guess.

But I do have a double-barreled surname (O'Brien) :biggrin:

Yeah age has been a big factor in my studies so far - congratulations for getting in!
Reply 13
Basically, there have been talks recently suggesting that you only get into Oxford/Cambridge if you're from a certain part of the country/financial background/class, so I'm just seeing to what extent this is a valid point or not

Thanks for replying!

Sorry you need to be more specific... "talks recently" where?

As others have said there is plenty of data on both unis websites about their Admissions stats by different types of school etc.

And also their Outreach programs.

Bottomline, they aren't perfect but they do a pretty good job. Their most important factor is the academic strength of the candidates, not how rich or white they are...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JezWeCan!
Help with my essay. :smile:

sorry what haha? I don't really get it 😁

edit: just realised the error - apparently I've turned into a pirate 😂
I'm from Greater Manchester, an ethnic minority group, low income background, a state sixth form college and I got an offer from Cambridge on Tuesday :h:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheTechN1304
I'd suggest you go and look at the Oxford and Cambridge websites individually and find the page that shows you applicant statistics. It will break it down for you in terms of location, type of school attended etc.

In terms of my application, I got accepted at Oxford, am from London and went to a private secondary school, and I applied post-A level (gap year)

I didn't realise I could do that! Thank you so much, and congratulations!
Original post by jneill
Sorry you need to be more specific... "talks recently" where?

As others have said there is plenty of data on both unis websites about their Admissions stats by different types of school etc.

And also their Outreach programs.

Bottomline, they aren't perfect but they do a pretty good job. Their most important factor is the academic strength of the candidates, not how rich or white they are...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Talks recently as in my area of Scotland...

I can kinda sense that you're defensive over Oxbridge, so please don't think I'm putting it down! I'm just trying to get all the facts for an argumentative essay
Original post by enaayrah
I'm from Greater Manchester, an ethnic minority group, low income background, a state sixth form college and I got an offer from Cambridge on Tuesday :h:

wow congratulations!! Can I ask what you got accepted for?

Thanks for replying!
Applied for Cambridge (pays natsci) last year and was rejected post-interview, subsequent to pooling. I'm from a state school in Scotland and upon completing high school had achieved well above the asking rates for oxbridge (Asking rates A1,A1,A2 at Advanced Higher - my grades A1,A1,A1,B3 at Advanced Higher).
No hard feelings however, I'm extremely happy at St Andrews and as a result of my grades was entered directly into 2nd year physics and maths (degree will hopefully be an MPhys joint hons in theoretical physics and applied mathematics by the end of it); I now plan on achieving the grades to do postgraduate studies at either Oxford or Cambridge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending